Thanks Paper Magazine, gender play is hot

Rachel Roy in drag, via Paper Magazine

Fashion Designer Rachel Roy, via Paper Magazine

Paper Magazine has a fun photo shoot in their most recent edition with 12 women in various creative industries. It’s called “She’s Got Balls: 12 Creative Women Get in Touch With Their Masculine Side.” The full slide show is here, including pictures with Jenny Shimizu, among others.

I think gender-bending in general is hot. I love playing with gender, and seeing this kind of gender play (with queer and straight women) promoted on national platforms is great. We should all play with gender more, in whatever way works for us.

My only criticism would be that some of the photos use dirt and fake bruises in ways that just play up the same old stereotypes about men (they’re dirty and violent!). Not so cool.

Via After Ellen

1. Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I like the pictures too, and I was also wierded out by the images that made the women look like they were auditioning for a role in Oliver!

2. Posted October 7, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I wonder what the male version of this would look like. Though it embarrasses me a little to say it, I’d probably be inclined to find it hot myself.

• Posted October 7, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Not embarassing! I think gender play is hot in every direction/combination.

3. Posted October 7, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Some of the “dirt” actually looked like it was meant to be scruff or five o’clock shadow. Clearly it wasn’t very carefully done, though.

4. Posted October 7, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Well, honeslty, even though there are relatively few pictures, it does seem to present a wide range of “masculinity.” There are some dirt/bruise pics, but some with very well-dressed and well-groomed images. There’s *some* racial diversity. I am not bothered by a dirty pic as long as there is also a clean pic. Yin and yang.

5. Posted October 12, 2010 at 10:42 am | Permalink

rachel roy is definetly hot! :D