Fight Choice. Cause Babies Are “Born To Ride”

Photobucket

Had to share this gem of a billboard spotted while riding through north Brooklyn with Audacia Ray over the weekend. Just so yall know, women shouldn’t have autonomy over their own bodies because some tiny babies were born 2 ride motorcycles. Duh! Vroom Vrooom!

1. Posted October 6, 2010 at 11:59 am | Permalink

More accurately, babies begin to develop little paddles that will later become arms.

But I guess “Baby’s little paddles” doesn’t quite have the same ring…

2. Posted October 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Well I was born to ride too—or whatever else I will to do with my body since I’M the one who controls it!

Where exactly in north Brooklyn is this monstrosity? Why am I guessing it’s further up in the still working class heavily Polish, heavily Catholic part, rather than the affluent hipster part?

3. Posted October 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

uh, no they don’t have arms at 28 days! They have little nubs that could at BEST be described as fins. lol

4. Posted October 6, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I personally heart the logic fail of “I was Born to …” being attached to someone who actually *hasn’t* been born.

• Posted October 15, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

I didn’t even think of that! Fancy that.

5. Posted October 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

It should say “unborn to ride” just so they can hammer in the point that fetus=person.

6. Posted October 6, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Scene: 2026
    Kid: Hey Mom! What in hell am I doing on that billboard?

7. Posted October 6, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Where are the pro-choice billboards? They seem almost non-existant.

• Posted October 15, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

I guess, as Jessica Valenti said in Full Frontal Feministing (as you can see, I just love quoting this book!), it’s because they (the pro-choice orgs) are too busy using their time and money to help women.

8. Posted October 7, 2010 at 1:54 am | Permalink

No amount of dressing-up is going to make a month-old fetus look like the baby in the picture. Nor is developing “arms” (stumps) a quality that distinguishes human life — it is rather the higher brain functions and viability that occur around the six month mark, and abortion is extremely rare beyond that point (and I would suspect is done almost exclusively out of medical necessity for when a natural or induced delivery would endanger the woman).

Also, while I would not discourage an adult for doing so, I wouldn’t glorify riding a motorcycle, especially not with a fetus/baby (which, ironically, would be extremely immoral and illegal). Even some anti-abortionists would have to take exception with the ad.

9. Posted October 7, 2010 at 2:16 am | Permalink

It always amuses me that the anti-choice billboards between Texas and Oklahoma use Comic Sans as the font.

One Trackback