Articles I can’t wait to hate

Cover image for Macleans magazine reading: Outraged Moms, trashy daughters has feminism come to this?

Doesn’t look like the article is out yet, but judging from the cover it should be…interesting.

H/t EconomicWoman

1. Posted August 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Nice to know we’re everyone’s favorite scapegoat.

• Posted August 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Again with the blaming feminism and women for all things bad in the world! grrr…

2. Posted August 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

and where are “the outraged dads, trashy sons”??? Oh wait– only because daughters can be called “trashy” if they DARE to explore their own sexualities!!! Gotcha.

Fucking hypocrites.

3. Posted August 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I hate the title and cover, but I’m curious to read the article when it becomes available. There was a feature on my local news station (Winnipeg, Canada) about the article a day or two back, and the things they (briefly) discussed were legitimate, I think, and have come up in discussions between myself and some of my feminist profs.

The premise, from what they showed on the news, is that there’s a divide between previous generations of self-proclaimed feminists and “empowered gen-y girls” (teens). They talked about how the moms of these girls were, if not feminist activists, were and continue to be very supportive and aware of the cause. Their daughters were/are disconnected to the term “feminist”, feeling that they have already achieved equality. They also touched on something I think is an important issue: the myth that “Sexy= empowered”. The people/experts they interviewed stated, very bluntly, that being sexual in the male gaze, for other people’s profit (ala tween stars), is not empowerment and is not equality. I think this is where they pulled the “trashy teen” part of the title from. Very unfortunate word choice, but I’m going to try to keep an open mind until I’ve read the article.

• Posted August 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Trust me. Maclean’s isn’t going to have a thoughtful analysis of the issue. Their MO is a sensationalist headline/front cover, a couple of anecdotes from ‘real people,’ a smidge of of the actual issue and then a pandering conclusion.

The good news is, few Canadians of any brain take this magazine seriously anymore.

4. Posted August 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

WTF is McCleans? Should we care? Or are they just trolling for pageviews?

• Posted August 7, 2010 at 4:12 am | Permalink

They’re a weekly Canadian-based news magazine. Or at least they used to be. Now they’re about two steps above “the Sun, with higher production values”.

• Posted August 7, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I know it’s hard to believe, but America isn’t the only English-speaking country that has magazines (even if said magazine is a bit crap). MacLean’s has been in existance in one form or another since 1905.

5. Posted August 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

as a general rule, I do not expect much feminist analysis from anyone/anything that compares women to trash.

6. Posted August 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

So, which is supposed to represent feminism? I’m confused.

7. Posted August 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

I’m not mad on the title, for starters.
    That being said, I don’t think it’s such a bad discussion to have. I’m not talking about slut-shaming, or “OMG, the girls are having sex and not feeling bad about it”, etc, but I don’t think it’s such a bad idea to question why it seems like more and more teenage girls (and younger teenage girls) seem to equate being sexy and sexual with power, when it seems, from the outside, to be exploitative. I’d like to see a discussion on the lack of female role-models in the media, who aren’t equated with sexiness (or their looks, or antics, in general) and what this says about goals for young women today. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to question why the rate of teenage-young adult girls involved in assaults is increasing, or the fact that rate of STDs amongst teenage girls are increasing, and are affecting younger and younger girls (Note: these are Australian statistics, but I’m not sure if American/UK are really that different).
    However, judging by the cover, I doubt we’ll get any beneficial kind of discussion and instead, a few concerned parents, a few foul-mouthed teenagers and a few child-psychologists pointing fingers, but not actually providing any solutions.

8. Posted August 20, 2010 at 1:16 am | Permalink

The article is now posted online:

If anyone interested can actually get past the title (are our daughters really “worthless and disreputable”) and then the opening photos (these weren’t of outraged mothers btw, but perhaps they were meant as an example of the “enlightened sexism” talked about in the article).

In an attempt to talk about the issues and opinions of young women today (y’know the drill: hypersexualization, how girls are represented in the media and the mandatory “Feminism, ew”), the author did manage to present a few poignant moments and interesting points.

Unfortunately, the article interviewed what seemed to be one type of Canadian girl: the daughters of university-educated, white, middle class women who decry their daughters’ behaviour, while simultaneously recalling the golden days of their youth – that bygone era when they could innocently wear hot pants:

“But it was a different time,” she says. “Back then there was at least equal premium put on intellect and what was in your head. It was the opposite of ‘Go out and please men.’”

Ahh, the seventies… those golden years when women needed men as co-signatories to get a mortgage, a loan or to open a bank account and only 4% of women earned more than men. Oh, the time when hot pants were just hot pants — not sensational or sexy — and absolutely not for pleasing men. Ahh, yes, the 70s: Brains first, bottoms later.

Of course sexism and feminism have changed over the past forty-odd years and while there certainly is still work to be done, what the article fails to mention at all are the tens of thousands of girls and young women across Canada who deal with real issues concerning their sexuality, how they are perceived by society and portrayed in the media, and how they fight to find a balance in their lives with the myriad of conflicting messages from the media, culture, families and friends.

Honestly.