Asexuality

I’ve thought a lot about the necessity of diversifying and deepening the public conversation about sexuality, destigmatizing non-traditional relationships, breaking from the binaries of hetero and homo to acknowledge that there is so much in between. But I have to be honest, I’ve rarely thought about this facet of broadening our understanding of human sexuality:

This film is being produced by the wonderful folks at Arts Engine/ Big Mouth Films and will follow people in the asexual community and explore asexuality itself, including the reactions it elicits in people and in the media. They’re raising money on kickstarter for the editing phase now.

Read more about the Asexual Visibility and Education Network here.

1. Posted August 5, 2010 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Thank you for covering asexuality on Feministing! I am glad you mentioned the many shades in between hetro and homo. There are numerous even within asexuality as well. My experiences I am sure are quite different from others, as are reasons for labeling yourself asexual. Mine come from a variety of quite varying factors that might not apply to someone else. This is so great to see on here!

DN

2. Posted August 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I agree. Thanks for covering asexuality. It’s unfortunately rarely mentioned in any conversations about sexuality, even though it has the potential to be a great place to start thinking about different forms of intimacy. I’m writing a zine on asexuality, with contributions from many asexuals, if anyone is interested in reading more about it.

3. Posted August 5, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I love this video, but since it emphasizes asexual people who still seek out romantic relationships, I should note that some asexuals have no interest in forming romantic bonds. One member of my family identifies as an “aromantic asexual,” meaning that she enjoys having close — but strictly platonic — friends.

4. Posted August 5, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I also thank you for recognizing asexuality and being sexless.

5. Posted August 5, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I find this interesting but a little confusing. I have a sex drive certainly, but have never met anyone I was interested in having a relationship with, sexual or romantic. They say asexuals don’t want to have sex. I would be interested in sex, but when it comes down to it, no person in particular has ever really tempted me. Am I an aromantic hypothetico-bisexual? I’m not really sure it matters, because I “might as well” be asexual, but I can’t feel I could really get behind that.

• Posted August 11, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

A.H.,
      Only the lack of sexual attraction is intrinsic to the definition of asexuality. Many asexuals do have a sex drive but no desire to fulfill it through action with another person. I think often sexual orientation is confused with certain behaviors, for example, in this case, not having sex. However, plenty of asexuals, and to the surprise of most people, do have sex, want to have sex (for different reasons) and even state that they enjoy it. Maybe you are an aromantic asexual?