Jane Austen’s Fight Club

This video has been making the rounds of the feminist blogosphere, but as Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books of all time, I had to make sure you all saw this.

Transcript here, courtesy of Hoyden About Town.

1. Posted August 3, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

I LOVE this.

2. Posted August 3, 2010 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Fun fact: this is written and directed by Emily Janice Card, daughter of acclaimed sci-fi author Orson Scott Card (Ender’s Game). She also plays Lizzie (the founder of Fight Club) in the video.

Can’t wait to see what she comes up with next.

3. Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I can’t get enough of this video. And the fact that it’s been created by Orson Scott Card’s daughter is even better. Love love love.

4. Posted August 4, 2010 at 2:01 am | Permalink

That’s fucking awesome. Lizzie is double awesome. I want to see a full version of this.

5. Posted August 4, 2010 at 9:15 am | Permalink

What am I missing here? Am I the only one offended by the violence? Aren’t we still fighting for justice across the globe to eliminate violence against women???

• Posted August 5, 2010 at 2:16 am | Permalink

Wild guess: You never watched Fight Club.

If I’m right, have faith, it’s a fantastic parody of the movie. You’re welcome to dislike it, obviously, but for me and I’d guess most people, the fact it’s a Jane Austen version of one of the biggest dude movies made in the last twenty years- and quite well done at that- vastly outweighs any potential offensiveness.

If not, and you have seen the movie… I don’t really know what to say.