Louis C.K.’s unfunny sketch about race

Full transcript  after the jump

This sketch by Louis C.K. on white privilege made me really uncomfortable. While I think Serwer rightly points out that CK’s “jokes” play on “the fear that animates American racial politics,” the major issues at hand here are how delusional some whites can be about present-day racism and the logical implications of white privilege. First, the notion that a black man would feel comfortable traveling back to the 1980s is the only laughable moment that can be extracted from this sketch. Reaganomics, anyone??

Further, C.K. presses the knife with, “For now, Weeeeee!”  The thing we have to remember about whiteness is that it is a privilege that inherently disadvantages other racial groups. So really, C.K. can’t celebrate his whiteness without him celebrating the effects his white privilege has on people of color: racism.

Nothing to laugh at in that conclusion.

H/t to Diana Price.

Sorry I’m being so negative. I’m a bummer, I don’t know I shouldn’t be I’m a very lucky guy. I got a lot going from me. I’m a healthy, I’m relatively young. I’m white; which thank God for that sh** boy. That is a huge leg up, are you kidding me? I love being white I really do. Seriously, if you’re not white you’re missing out because this sh** is thoroughly good. Let me be clear by the way, I’m not saying that white people are better. I’m saying that being white is clearly better, who could even argue? If it was an option I would reup ever year. Oh yeah I’ll take white again absolutely, I’ve been enjoying that, I’ll stick with white thank you. Here’s how great it is to be white, I could get in a time machine and go to any time and it would be fuckin’ awesome when I get there. That is exclusively a white privilege. Black people can’t fuck with time machines. A black guy in a time machine is like hey anything before 1980 no thank you, I don’t want to go. But I can go to any time. The year 2, I don’t even know what was happening then but I know when I get there, welcome we have a table right here for you sir. … thank you, it’s lovely here in the year 2. I can go to any time in the past, I don’t want to go to the future and find out what happens to white people because we’re going to pay hard for this shit, you gotta know that … we’re not just gonna fall from number 1 to 2. They’re going to hold us down and fuck us in the ass forever and we totally deserve it but for now wheeeee. If you’re white and you don’t admit that it’s great, you’re an asshole. It is great and I’m a man. How many advantages can one person have? I’m a white man, you can’t even hurt my feelings. What can you really call a white man that really digs deep? Hey cracker … oh ruined my day. Boy shouldn’t have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people what a drag.

1. Posted July 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Right, but if you mention the very word “racism” to most people, it implies an act, particularly when we think of white versus black. We think first of hooded KKK members, bombings, lynchings, and the like. While it is absolutely true that racism’s effects on marginalized groups are rarely passive or stealth, often its expression can be very passive.

2. Posted July 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Who is this un-funny man and why does he get airtime?

3. Posted July 29, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

… err. Isn’t he right, though?

He does say, for example, that” If you’re white [...] it is great and I’m a man. How many advantages can one person have?”

This site often points out that men have an unfair edge in US society (and everywhere, really), and so does the White Man. So, what is so unreasobale about his saying so?

And his time machine observation is probably spot on – who would dispute his findings?

As for celebrating his whiteness, well, I think that charge is a little unfair. Of course, if one places oneself at the top of the pile, then it follows that othersexist below. But that does not mean that one feels superior. I will freely admit to being glad I live in a rich country – but that statement only makes sense if there are poor countries to point out the contrast.

“If you’re white and you don’t admit that it’s great, you’re an asshole.” A little blunt, maybe, but a feeling that is often seen on this site.

• Posted July 29, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I agree, and I don’t think that feeling “lucky” that you are a member of a more privileged group is necessarily wrong. I am white, and my life is easier because of that. I was also born into a wealthy family, I have a privilege that a lot of others don’t. I consider myself lucky that I didn’t have to struggle paying for College. Furthermore, I don’t get pulled over unless I actually am speeding. I don’t get followed around a department store by security, and pretty much any salon will know how to cut my hair. I am grateful that I don’t have to deal with that bullshit.
      My boyfriend makes a joke saying, “When I was born and I looked down and saw a white penis I yelled, “Thank God!” His life is easier because he is a white male, and he knows it. It doesn’t mean he’s happy that others are held down, but isn’t it a little understandable that he’s a little relieved that he doesn’t have to confront discrimination on a daily basis like the rest of us?

4. Posted July 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I think the point of the sketch is to point out to people that there is white privilege and that so many people don’t even realize the advantages they have had (and have almost always had) if they were white.

I don’t think that Louis C.K. is genuinely happy about the fact that he white and is therefore more privileged than people of color. I think he is using the sketch to elicit the reaction “wow, if you actually felt that way, that would make you kind of a dick.”

• Posted July 29, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

That’s the impression I got of it as well, that it was more of a comment and critique about white privilege than an endorsement or celebration of it.

• Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Same, I thought it was actually really funny being black myself. I wouldn’t want to live at anytime before the 1980s either, except for maybe, the times of Antiquity in Egypt or Mali, which I fault him for ignoring. Black folks have had some good times, too – not many, but some.

5. Posted July 29, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I actually found this bit hilarious, but my first-instinct interpretation was totally the opposite of the OP’s. I think his point, made ironically of course, is “look at all this completely arbitrary privilege white people have, and look at how much more they had really recently.” If there’s any doubt that he’s being ironic, i think the line ” If you’re white and you don’t admit that it’s great, you’re an asshole” kind of clears that up. He’s saying that white people are really privileged, and the ones that are so thick-headed and arrogant that they can’t even recognize they’re privileged are obnoxious.

6. Posted July 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I totally agree with the above two comments. It would be great if everyone would log onto feministing or racialicous for some intelligent analysis of race and gender politics in America and globally, bur we can all agree that’s not going to happen! Maybe his message isn’t quite as poignant as it could be, but that’s because he is delivering it in a comical way accessible to an audience that isn’t engaged with the issues or is even afraid of them. I don’t think he is happy to ride the wave of his privilege-I think he is doing his part to make more people aware of that privilege.

7. Posted July 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Like Smiley and Christine, I don’t understand the objection. It’s a white guy talking about white privilege, just like Tim Wise and Michael Kimmel and other white guys do. He points out that black people have been oppressed throughout history; he points out that there’s nothing you can say to a white male that’s the equivalent of a racist or misogynist insult; he makes a prediction about what’ll happen if white people ever get their deserts. Racists do exactly the opposite: they claim that black people have it pretty good, that white people are the real victims of racist language and behavior, and that black people are unjustly oppressing whites right now. Maybe Rose is concerned about the Archie Bunker Effect: that actual bigots will miss the sarcasm and think it’s a guy celebrating the Glories of Whiteness.

8. Posted July 29, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

I feel like this is a really unfair post. Sure, none of us know Louis C.K. personally and can confirm that he is not in fact a raging racists (not me, anyway), but does the poster honestly feel that was his intention? Through his tone and general word choice it is clear to me that as the previous commenter stated, Louis isn’t actually celebrating his whiteness, he’s bringing up a lot of important points about white privilege that most people don’t even consider. Like who, when thinking about time travel, considers what effect their race would have on it? Definitely not white people. Nor do we think about how lucky we are to have flesh-colored band-aids, “non-ethnic” hair, or to not be automatically suspect everytime we walk into a retail establishment. Frankly, I wish the sketch had been longer and more comprehensive.

And c’mon..what happened to the age-old adage, “if you don’t laugh, you cry.” If I were Louis C.K., I would be making jokes about how as a white man I can get away with beating the shit out of my wife and barely be charged with a misdeamonor. Comedy is an important part of consciousness-raising, at least in my opinion. And more about my opinion: Where is the domestic violence coverage on feministing? The only article this past month was on the Eminem/Rihanna song. A new study by the president’s council on violence shows that African-American women between the ages of 18-24 are most likely to die as a result of intimate partner violence. How’s that for white privilege?

9. Posted July 29, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

I agree for the most part with the commenters who said he is pointing out white privilege through humor to people who may not be aware of it, but the ignorance of current racial tensions connoted in the “whee” was probably in poor taste.

However, the idea of any white person (man?) taking a time machine to any time (and is he assuming Europe, or what?) is ridiculous, when the notion of “white” is a relatively recent phenomenon, and when privilege took other forms (socio-economic status, religious status, etc.).

10. Posted July 29, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

While I definitely understand your point, I found this sketch really funny but also pretty enlightening, considering the source. I don’t hear many white male comedians admitting to having such privilege, and quite often hear people complain about racial jokes against white people vs. racial jokes against POCs. If you mention racial jokes against POCs, it seems like one often responds with “Well, (insert minority group here) makes jokes about white people too!”, as if they are the same within our societal context. They’re not the same, and it Louis definitely hits the mark with the not being offended by being called a cracker comment. Sure, as a white woman I wouldn’t want to be called it and do find it offensive, but it’s nowhere near as bad as a white person using racial slurs against POCs.

• Posted July 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

I agree that this is satire – not laugh out loud funny but mildly amusing. I know so many white men who are completely unaware of privilege and I think self-awareness is a good thing. Presumably he’s talking to a mostly white crowd, and maybe the medicine will go down better with a little humor? A lot of white hetero men aren’t going to listen to women or minorities about privilege, so I can see Louis CK as being someone who gets through, just a little bit. I’m more of a big tent person, in general.

11. Posted July 29, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Um, what exactly makes this comedy sketch so egregious? Everything he said is true.

Sure, he could have been more serious in his reflections on his privilege, but he’s a COMEDIAN. He’s supposed to take the tragic and make it funny. Louis CK does so here by taking something usually put in the background (white privilege) and being so up front about it as to be hilarious.

If McIntosh can write about the invisible knapsack then why can’t CK speak about the invisible barrier for time travel?

This is not a celebration of whiteness. CK never, ever implies that he deserves the privilege he has. In fact, he explicitly says, “Let me be clear by the way, I’m not saying that white people are better. I’m saying that being white is clearly better, who could even argue?”

Is that not a spot on definition of white privilege done in a comedic manner?

And to add to that, the conclusion to his joke makes it absolutely clear that he recognizes the effects of white privilege. He even says, “Hey cracker … oh ruined my day. Boy shouldn’t have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people what a drag.”

It’s really, really absurd to try to orchestrate some sort of take-down here when Louis CK does a pitch perfect refutation of white privilege in a funny way.

Seriously, if you want funny feminist humor and this isn’t good enough for you then you’re shit out of luck, because nothing will meet your standards.

• Posted July 30, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I absolutely agree with you here. Out of context, this sketch might seem insensitive, but if you’ve had the opportunity to analyze Louie C.K.’s entire body of work, then you wouldn’t think for a second that he is being racist. I think Louie C.K. is incredibly clever in the way he addresses sensitive issues like racism, sexism, and homophobia. If comedians can be feminist, Louie C.K. is definitely one of them.

12. Posted July 29, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

I appreciate your take on it, but I think it’s pretty decent. He’s being blunt and maybe a little bit callous, but I think that’s just what he does. And I think rich white dudes recognizing that they have some privilege is pretty important.

13. Posted July 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

White people often have no concept of the white privilege. None. This is honestly one of my favorite sketches of his. He isn’t “celebrating his whiteness”, it is sarcasm. Pointing out how ridiculous white privileged and laughing at it is progressive, especially from a white guy.

14. Posted July 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

No offense to the OP, but Rose, I think you sort of missed the point of this sketch. I think Christine above me definitely hit it spot on.

For a less racially loaded comparison, fat stand-up comedians that make fun of being fat aren’t making fun of other fat people– they are using comedy for honestly, one of it’s best purposes: the examination of human experiences, whether they’re good bad or down right ugly, but with humor so that we don’t get weighted down by the seriousness of the problem at hand. It is the same with any ethnic minority that pokes fun at themselves.

I think it’s actually something, to acknowledge that being both white and male does in fact grant some supremely unfair advantages that nobody else gets or really benefits from.

15. Posted July 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

The thing we have to remember about whiteness is that it is a privilege that inherently disadvantages other racial groups. So really, C.K. can’t celebrate his whiteness without him celebrating the effects his white privilege has on people of color: racism. <<<

Listen, I understand that as a white person I have privilege, but at the same time my SKIN COLOR inherently advantages me, but it does not inherently disadvantage groups [That's more of a language issue]. Also, your last comment basically implies that as a white person I should not celebrate my skin color because … it might advantage me in some ways? I'm not going to be shameful of my whiteness. I can still acknowledge that it grants me privileges and I NEED to recognize those privileges, but nothing about my cultural identity have I associated with shame or guilt. I think that's an unhealthy and hate-mongering perspective.

At the same time, I don't think this dude is funny. I don't mind irony or the sheer ridiculousness of the statements, but he doesn't seem to play on those aspects so much. So basically, I agree with the article but I think your reasoning behind what recognizing privilege entails is flawed.

16. Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

So basically he can’t laugh about his privilege? Ridiculous. And I’ve seen many black comedians make basically the same joke, Dave Chappelle comes first to mind.

Chris Rock had an old joke on an old special that was ever more like C.K.’s joke. The one where a white guy wouldn’t become Chris Rock, even though he’s rich.

Admittedly, C.K. isn’t that funny in general. There’s a reason his show on HBO didn’t last, though it seems FX picked it up. So the joke wasn’t as funny as it could’ve been (sparse on details on why it’s so great, a possibility of him relying on some white’s fears of Obama, etc), but knowing that C.K. has traditionally presented himself as white working class, and is half Mexican, living there for 7 years, I think he’s aware enough about this joke, and how it works.

Now Lisa Lampanelli on the other hand…

17. Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Actually, I saw the sketch a second time. I think it might be sarcastic. Like, Sarah Silverman sarcastic. If it wasn’t, I’d be upset, but I’m currently 70% sure it was meant in a sardonic way.

18. Posted July 30, 2010 at 3:17 am | Permalink

yeah i have to agree with everyone else.
    i’ve really liked louis c.k. since i saw this bit. i saw it as an acknowledgment of his white male privilege. it makes me happy to know that lots of white teenage boys have seen this and it made them think about racism and sexism, something a lot of them have never done before.

19. Posted July 30, 2010 at 3:23 am | Permalink

CK’s body of work is actually heavily revolves around discussing race, and he does it with a surprising sense of wit and sensitivity. Therefore, to me, his reputation is enough that he can say something like this, and I can take it as irony.

I don’t necessarily think he’s all that funny, but he sure is entertaining. By the way, theloop21.com recently had an article on him. It’s funny, cause I just got on to Louis recently because of that article and what attracted me to him was that he was a white guy who talked about race in a relatively enlightened and entertaining fashion.

20. Posted July 30, 2010 at 11:18 am | Permalink

The sketch itself I find to be a funny take on a working class guy recognising white privilege.

I am surprised that the issue here on a feminist site is not the rape joke in the end (“being fucked in the ass [unwillingly] for what white folks have done”). That’s the only part that really grinds my gears–is the language of rape and sexual dominance the only way in which we can talk about these things? That is the part I find to be re-enforcing the scary black rapist racist/sexist stereotype, not the whole “being white” bit.

21. Posted July 30, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Also, he is apparently Mexican

22. Posted July 30, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I could not disagree with this more. He is not saying white people are better than other races or that he is glad other races have it worse. He is pointing out, in a funny way–he IS a comedian–that white privilege exists and is something we all have to admit. He even says: “If you’re white and you don’t admit that it’s great, you’re an asshole.” Can’t get clearer than that! And being aware of white privilege inherently means acknowledging the existence of racism. And at a time when the right-wing, and even the mainstream and left, media talks incessantly about the end of racism and living in a post-racial society we should be PRAISING Louis CK for this! I am starting to get really disappointed by posts on this blog that read pieces of culture with no analysis, sense of irony, or recognition or satire, let alone any context in which to place this particular piece of this comedians work. We are better than that!

23. Posted July 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Okay, I’m glad that like, 25 comments later SOMEONE mentioned the issue about his rape joke….

24. Posted July 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I think to fully get the sketch you should listen to his NPR interview; it’s really great. ( http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5487981 ) He discusses this sketch in particular, and he does it very intelligently. His main point is that he knows at times he says things that can be offensive on stage, but his whole point is to get people talking. People talking about an issue can never be a bad thing. That is what I took away from it anyway. The whole thing is worth a listen, it’s pretty funny and interesting.

25. Posted July 30, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Watch the episode of his show called “Poker/Divorce.” Frankly, I like this guy. And I don’t have to wade through a ton of sexist jokes about boobies to listen to his stand-up.

26. Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I’m with Katie, et al. This bit’s not just funny; it’s really, really smart. Painfully smart. Think of how much critical race and whiteness — and feminist — theory he has crammed in those two minutes!

Or even two sentences: “I’m a white man! You can’t even hurt my feelings!”

27. Posted July 31, 2010 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I’m actually a big fan of Louis CK and it surprised me to see this hilarious video up for a poor critique on Feministing, since I consider him to be a feminist himself!

Check out this clip from one of his recent episodes where he and his friends discuss the origin and modern day use of the word ‘faggot’. I was expecting Feministing to praise CK’s consciousness raising, HEAVY satire and sensitivity.

Beginning of this episode: http://www.hulu.com/watch/161017/louie-pokerdivorce#s-p1-so-i0

What more could we ask of white hetero male comedians? Should they not talk about these issues at all? Should they talk about them, interrupt their comedy routine for a solemn discussion on white male privilege? Please.

28. Posted July 31, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Soooo, I’ve been reading this place for a while. Could never get my membership to go through for whatever reason. I guess the redesign is on my side…

ANYWAY, so this is only a few years old, and like every rational thinker above me has stated: What else should he say? If this isn’t the recognition of white privelage, what is? What would your ideal stand-up comedian talk about? There is no such thing as a joke without a victim. Try one, I dare you. In this case, the victim is actually himself. You could say black people are in a way, I suppose. But isn’t the ultimate message “Hey, if you’re white AND A MAN, quit complaining about anything. Ever.”?

29. Posted July 31, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

The OP’s point that there is no independent, affirmative culture of whiteness that doesn’t hinge on automatically oppressing other races is a good one. Think about it — when we stereotype black people, we don’t crack jokes about the very fact that they are oppressed — we have all of these other degrading stereotypes in our arsenal that make it look like there is something inherently inferior about black people. Watermelon, etc. But when he ‘stereotypes’ white people, there is none of that. We just get a picture of some random dude who is lucky for not being black. Successful jokes about stereotypes about white people would actually be quite funny, but this doesn’t achieve that, unfortunately. He’s certainly not the most offensive thing out there, but I see the reason for ambivalence.

And really, even if this guy does not want to be racist, he throws ALL his feminist cred out the window entirely when using anal rape as a euphemism for political domination.

30. Posted July 31, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Hello all,

I am glad that this post has generated a vibrant discussion! What I think is really funny about the CK post is the mayhem some commenters, many of whom I suspect are white, are raising. I cannot deny that while I respond to CK’s “joke(s)” from reasoning I also do so from my experience as a black woman in America who is marginalized by white privilege. Interestingly enough, this came to me as a post idea from an e-mail thread where I was asked to weigh in. My friend later told me she approached the video with optimism that CK had maybe stumbled on a teaching moment. But something about it didn’t feel right which prompted her to check-in with other women of color for their take.

I feel the need to bring up what specifically made me and others wince in the pre-conversation that occurred before I decided this video would be an important conversation starter on the blog. Mainly, and I mentioned this briefly in the post, this is a moment of white celebration for him and some audience members. I say this because he literally expresses how much he LOVES to be white (I love being white I really do. Seriously, if you’re not white you’re missing out because this shit is thoroughly good.) and his “for now weeeeee” rouses applause, hoots and screams of joy from several audience members.

On the question of exposing white privilege, it would be one thing if he was exposing it as something people should act on or confront in their lives to make the world a more equal place. Instead, he celebrates an advantage and calls white folks who recognize their advantage to be passive. This is particularly captured by this, “for now weeeee” moment. This implies for now, white people enjoy it, enjoy your privilege until “they” make you pay for it.

In the end, despite what some commenters might have interpreted, I didn’t call CK racist, I called him unfunny. The racism I mention is what folks of color experience as white folks experience privilege.

As you were,

Rose

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Rose,

Although you said you were glad your post generated a lot of discussion, you also wrote it off as “mayhem” and said that you found it “funny.” This tells me that you are not taking the comments seriously, or considering what others are saying.

You then reiterated exactly the same thing you originally said, without acknowledging any of the points other people brought up; instead, assuming that most people who brought up counterpoints was white.

I still cannot understand how you do not see the heavy sarcasm present in the phrase “for now, wheeee!” Even in writing, it is obviously sarcastic. When spoken by Louis C.K., you can hear the sarcasm emphasized in his voice. It overlooks an awful lot to take the phrase “wheeee!” at absolute face value. Does any adult ever use that word and mean it sincerely?

Other commenters already linked to this Louis C.K. article on NPR, and someone commented that this is “worth a listen,” a comment I wish you would consider: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5487981

It is far too easy to listen to 5 minutes of an artist’s material, out of context, not look into them any further, and decide that they’re coming from the wrong place. We as feminists should be able to distinguish when someone is an ally.

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

But you’re making an assumption about why the audience is laughing (particularly when he says “weeeeeee”). As a white person, I find that moment particularly cathartic because it’s the ultimate moment of white guilt. Because, while it’s a societal wrong that needs to be corrected, having privilege is also inherently enjoyable, which leads to a lot of guilt about the fact that you’re born with a leg up.

31. Posted July 31, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Louis was being ironic. Irony is a comedic device used by comedians. He’s not literally celebrating being white.

White people need to be aware of their privilege, and Louis clearly is. Regardless of whether or not anyone thinks it’s funny or not, he does succeed in being aware of his own privilege and making other white people aware of white privilege. That’s what he was trying to do.

I think it’s worth noting that Louis is of Irish, Jewish and Mexican. Because I think there’s another thing we don’t talk about much: prejudice.

32. Posted July 31, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

I think this blog posting and follow up comment really miss the point of C.K’s bit.

“I say this because he literally expresses how much he LOVES to be white”

But the expression was in context of pointing out how good whites have it in American society. He says he loves to be white because he gets so many advantages that other ethnicities don’t. The comment is meant to highlight the inequalities, not to say ‘yay white, screw the rest’. As a commenter pointed out above, the Achilles heel of this site seems to be understanding comedy. McFarlane, The Daily show, and now C.K have all been recent targets. Comedy doesn’t make sense when viewed through strong ideological framing, and often that’s kinda the point.

“What I think is really funny about the CK post is the mayhem some commenters, many of whom I suspect are white, are raising.”

Seems like a safe guess considering the feminist movement is largely white and middle class. But on a serious note, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see race raised in this dismissive way. Argue to the facts/issues, not to the race of the posters.

“The thing we have to remember about whiteness is that it is a privilege that inherently disadvantages other racial groups.”

I strongly disagree with this. Being white is not an inherent privilege. It is a privilege in much of the world, but there is nothing inherent about it. It is due to social and political constructs.
    I’m white, but I live in a part of the world where I am a clear minority. My whiteness does not protect me from racism where I live.

“So really, C.K. can’t celebrate his whiteness without him celebrating the effects his white privilege has on people of color: racism.”

It’s acceptable for ethnic minorities to celebrate their ethnicity but not for white people? No ethnic group is perfect or angelic. Someone can celebrate the positive aspects of their ethnicity/history/culture without supporting the negative aspects. Your argument would be like saying African’s can’t celebrate being African without celebrating the prevalent use of rape as a weapon of war on the African continent.

33. Posted August 1, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Still, ya’ll, are we ignoring the rape joke? Here?

• Posted August 2, 2010 at 3:29 am | Permalink

“Rape joke” implies a joke making light of rape, which is the exact opposite of what he’s doing. He uses it BECAUSE it’s such a brutal act.

34. Posted August 4, 2010 at 1:36 am | Permalink

if you don’t think that’s funny, don’t even think of watching Pootie Tang….