NOM Rally Highlight: Sign Calling for Lynching of Gay Couples

Remember the National Organization for Marriage (NOM)’s ridiculous and sort of hilarious “Gathering Storm” ad featuring anti-gay scare tactics using bad weather? And their creepy mandatory heterosexuality bus tour gave us even more reason to cringe — but also snicker a bit. Thing is, things with NOM have gotten very unfunny, and very quickly:

That’s right — their “One Man, One Woman” bus tour included an attendee who proudly held this sign, offering a biblical quote (Leviticus 20:13) as the “Solution to Gay Marriage”:

“If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with woman. Both of them have committed an abomination: They shall surely be put to death: Their blood shall be upon them.”

Along with the lovely accompanying artistry of nooses. There are just no words for this kind of hate. Folks are calling on the National Organization for Marriage to denounce this sign and the owner of it — please sign the petition.

Also check out Bilerico for more info and updates.

1. Posted July 27, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Let he who is without sin make the first noose.

2. Posted July 27, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

What about lesbians? Do they escape the noose since they aren’t men lying with each other? I’m so confused!

3. Posted July 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

So what is this about? Is it about the NOM rally or about the guy who made that sign? I wonder how feminists would feel if the only things people point out about the feminists movement, is the manhate of SOME well known feminists and say all of feminism is like that because of it.

• Posted July 28, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Feminism is not an organization. NOM is. It would certainly be incorrect to suggest that EVERYONE who is anti-gay marriage would support this guy, but it’s entirely appropriate to ask this individual anti-gay marriage organization to denounce this guy who attended their event.

4. z
    Posted July 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way, but isn’t this, in a sense, a good thing? If people think that this is what the group stands for, perhaps they’ll start to consider the other side in order to distance themselves from people who hate this strongly. It’s a truly appalling sign, but honestly I think that if NOM won’t make a statement disclaiming it, they’re actually hurting themselves and helping those who stand for equality.

5. Posted July 28, 2010 at 2:20 am | Permalink

In Leviticus 19:19 it says, “Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.”…I wonder how many of these people are wearing a nice cotton polyester blend t-shirt while proclaiming this book the law of the land.

• Posted July 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

As I mentioned on the Community post addressing this sign:

The first time I saw it was at Indy Pride last year. I was there, enjoying the festivities, and I just happened to choose a street corner with an older man, blank-faced, staring forward and holding that exact sign. My friends and I were speechless. Outraged. Frightened. We tried to play it off get back to our merriment, laughing at him, which seemed like the best response at the time, but it really shook us.

But to your point about the rest of Leviticus 19:19, there were a few protesting-the-protesters who had signs that said “Thou shalt not wear fabric blends” and other such lesser followed bits of that scripture.

6. Posted July 28, 2010 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Joe.My.God and HRC VP Fred Sainz think the whole point of these rallies is to spark a confrontation, so that NOM can go back to federal judges and say “help, help, we’re being repressed!” and successfully block public disclosure laws. They think that if they can claim that they were harassed or threatened by those eeeeeevil LGBT activists and allies, they’ll be able to get around laws that would treat them like any other political organization in having to disclose donors, petition signers, etc.

On its face, given what I’ve heard about NOM’s tour – which has had, at most, maybe a couple dozen people at each stop – this theory would make sense. It’s about their wanting to appear to be a persecuted minority.

Still, that doesn’t mean I’m not going to be at the counterprotest when these jackasses have their rally in DC. But I’m thinking ridicule rather than confrontation might be the better path; perhaps something similar to this counterprotest?

7. Posted July 28, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

I’d rather sign a petition that would make the members of NOM come to their senses and dissolve their stupid group.

One Trackback

1. [...] results of the tour have been mixed, at best. Reports of small turn-outs, violent posters and counter-protests have dominated the news coverage of the tour. One thing is clear to me — [...]