Hawaii Governor vetoes civil union bill

The bill would have allowed same sex couples and non-married heterosexual couples the same rights that married straight couples have. Governor Lingle vetoed the bill on her final day to do so, after it passed both houses of the Hawaii Congress.
Her statements on vetoing the bill:

“After months of listening to Hawaii’s citizens express to me in writing and in person their deeply held beliefs and heartfelt reasons for supporting or opposing the civil-unions bill, I have made the decision to veto the bill,” Lingle said in a press conference at the Capitol building that was streamed live online. “I have been open and consistent to my opposition to same-gender marriage and find that the bill is essentially marriage by another name. My personal opinion is not the basis for my decision … Neither is my veto based on my religious beliefs … I am vetoing this bill because I have become convinced that this issue is of such of societal importance that it deserves to be decided by all the people in Hawaii.”

Lingle was Hawaii’s first female governor. The legislature will not attempt to override her veto, citing insufficient votes in the House. Five US States currently have civil union-like laws on the books, and five states and the District of Columbia allow same-sex marriage.

1. Comrade Kevin
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Sounds like passing the buck to me.

2. Mithras
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Bad link to her statement.
    I guess she wants to run for Senate.

3. Not Guilty
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Tyranny of the majority yet again. When will people learn that it is not the right of the majority to dictate the rights of the minority? Didn’t the majority support slavery and segregation??

4. 94.Rowland
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Did you see 8: The Mormon Proposition? I saw it a few weeks ago at a local film festival and found it absolutely fascinating. The documentary focuses primarily on Prop 8 in California, but it also delves into some of the politics in Hawaii and the behind-the-scenes reasons why same sex marriage and civil unions have both been banned in the state. That’s what first came to mind when I saw this post. If you haven’t seen the documentary, I really encourage you to. It’s incredibly well done.

5. daveNYC
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

You kidding? The majority of both houses of Hawai’i's legislature passed this bill. This is just the Govenor being a wanker.

6. dark_morgaine
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

There is absolutely no reason for gay marriage not to be passed. Except prejudice. And that’s not valid.