Sharron Angle: You Can’t Have An Abortion Because It’s God’s Plan You Were Raped

Photobucket
The only vote this woman would get from me is for Supreme Fucking Asshole of the Year.
Sharon Angle, the Tea Party member and GOP challenger to Harry Reid’s Nevada Senate seat, is anti-choice. She also apparently thinks that if you’re raped by your father and want to have an abortion, you have to “have a little faith” and accept that it was part of God’s plan.
While Angle hasn’t said a peep to the press as of late, Think Progress found an interview with conservative talk show host David Manders from January, where she was more than a little vocal about abortion:

MANDERS: I too am pro-life, but I’m also pro-choice. Do you understand what I say when I mean that?
ANGLE: Well, I’m pro responsible choice. There’s choice to abstain, choice to use contraceptives … there’s all kinds of good choice…
MANDERS: Is there any reason at all for an abortion?
ANGLE: Not in my book.
MANDERS: So, in other words, rape and incest would not be something?
ANGLE: You know, I’m a Christian, and I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each one of our lives and that he can intercede in all kinds of situations and we need to have a little faith in many things.

There’s nothing more heinous to me than people who use “God’s will” as a means to propagate their oppressive views. This woman cannot, I repeat, cannot win this Senate seat. Listen below; spread the word.

Via.

1. Bridgette
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I ran with mine last night. Angle is worse than just anti-choice, she’s anti-women, and pro-patriarchy.

2. Bridgette
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 9:23 am | Permalink
  3. Dena
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink

This is so fucking disgusting. I don’t understand people like this. She definitely cannot win that Senate seat. Oh god.

4. Wednesday
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 10:50 am | Permalink

So if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, and then seeks out an unsafe illegal abortion and dies from the complications, that’s God’s plan? If his plan just required she die, then wouldn’t it be easier to have had the rapist kill her? Or to make the pregnancy ectopic? Heck, if he just wants her dead, there’re so many ways that don’t involve sexual violence.
    I submit that Angle’s god is a sick fuck who bears little resemblance to the Jesus depicted in the Gospels.

5. Not Guilty
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Ya and what about me? I don’t think there is any such thing as god. But I am forced to conform to her religious beliefs? WTF is that about? This woman is despicable.

6. Jessica Lee
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I can’t believe someone from the Tea Party would use religion to undermine human rights!
    Sarcasm aside, I really am sick of the Tea Party, and this woman is no exception. Her comments are so crazy, I can’t even write a coherent response them.
    All I can say is that I will never understand why a party based on willfull ignorance is seen in a good light by anybody.

7. Lisa
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Rachel Maddow did a good piece on her. She dealt with her batshit crazy issues on abortion and other issues.

8. SarahSimone
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink

These fucking people! YOU don’t believe in abortion so YOU don’t go and have one. End of story. Not everyone believes in the same kind of God, not everyone is arrogant enough to believe they personally have an in about what “God wants” or what “God’s plan” is and not everyone even believes in God at all.
    I am so sick of people trying to use their religion as the measure of how the rest of the country should act. It isn’t even worth it to point out that our government is supposed to be separate from religion, it’s a total joke.

• Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Right!

“It isn’t even worth it to point out that our government is supposed to be separate from religion…”

I read in an old newspaper that Angle actually wants to remove that barrier between Church and State. The article made me think of a bumper sticker I saw once while I was driving to the store. The sticker said, “The last time we tried to combine church and state, people were burned at the stake.” And I agree! I can’t help thinking that if it weren’t for that separation, America would be like Saudi Arabia, or other regions where theocracy rules. This system would be highly oppressive and unfair to gays, non-Christians, and most especially women.

9. Surfin3rdWave
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I’ve never understood how anyone can find comfort by casting God as such a cruel being.

• Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

I forgot who originally said this quotation, but “Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man”–or in the case of Angle, a cruel (anti-)woman.

10. Marji
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

That is just so wrong on so many levels. It’s not even funny. Not only is it oppressive to women, but it’s oppressive to religion as well! What of those women who have different beliefs? Christians aren’t the only ones equipped with the ability to reproduce, you know.

11. Mighty Ponygirl
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

If God planned to have me raped, can I have him as arrested as an accomplice?

12. gwye
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Personally, I think this is a problem for anyone who believes in God.
    Why does God let some women get raped?
    The answer to this question always boils down to some sort of “It’s all in God’s plan.” You can blunt it’s effect by being pro-choice, but it’s still offensive.
    Any religious feminists want to correct me? Why do you think God would let a woman be raped, and then force her to choose between getting an abortion and bearing her rapist’s child? We’ve already ruled out “divine plan.”
    (Don’t try the free-will defense either. Why does God give a rapist the freedom to rape, but won’t give the victim the freedom to escape? Is it all part of a divine plan?)

13. IAmGopherrr
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I heard this yesterday on Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann (the latter I was very impressed with his chastizement of her)and was disgusted with her sentiment. Also since when has it become acceptable to say that you oppose something strictly on ones own personal religious interpretation? We arent a theocracy!

14. Allegra
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

These people have got to be stopped! Violent acts should never be condoned by those who want to be our leaders. To tell any survivor that it was gods plan that they got raped is a gross statement of hate towards this specific group. This also tells them once again that they are not important and that their pain is not a real issue… And what about all those survivors who don’t believe in god? Why do i have to continue to live in a god centric world when I do not believe? I am going to go vomit now.

15. Broggly
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Maybe God wanted her to die in sin, so she’d be damned to hell and tortured for all eternity.

16. Sex Toy James
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Wait, where does something stop being god’s plan? How can rape be part of god’s plan, but getting an abortion not be part of god’s plan? Does an omnipotent and omniscient being really have trouble planning for abortions?

17. FLT
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

So it was god’s plan to put a rapist in this woman’s life, but it was not in god’s plan to supply a clinic?

18. Cassius
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

If people dont vote her she wont win.

• Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid they will though. Many people in this country are really pissed off at Reid…I admit I’m not too fond of Reid, either, but when election time comes, my vote will be for him. At least he’s not as big an asshole as Angle.

19. Comrade Kevin
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

In my opinion, anyone who tells you they know God’s plan is fooling themselves. Speaking only for myself, God’s plan for me is often very difficult to discern. It’s not my role at all to determine that which God intends for anyone else.
    Abraham Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address speaks to this idea that, during the Civil War, both the North and South believed that God was on its side. But after four years of a horrible, bloody, violent conflict, Lincoln’s summation was that God took no side in battle and that his ways were completely unknowable. This, to me, describes my very own thoughts.

20. PDXHopeful
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t currently consider myself religious, but when I was here’s how I personally dealt with this question:
    We live in an imperfect world where awful, unjust things happen – we’re subject to violence, and illness, and death through no fault of our own. It’s the human experience, and God isn’t here to prevent it from happening.
    What God/faith offers is the possibility that there’s something beyond that, and suggestions for how to handle it in a positive way… staying connected with others rather than cutting oneself off, not adding to the harshness by doing unjust or hurtful things to others.
    I think you’re misunderstanding the free will defense a little, too. It says the rapist has the choice to attempt rape, and the victim has the choice to attempt escape. It has nothing to do with the outcome.
    If you don’t find that satisfactory, I understand, but I’ve explained as best I think I can.

21. Athenia
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

22. thecheesegirl
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

You know, I’m going to agree with everyone and say that that’s a despicable thing to say, but she’s at least the only internally consistent anti-choice politician I’ve ever heard of — after all, she said she supports contraceptives, and the whole practice of making exceptions for rape can only come down to wanting women to be punished for having sex (but if they were being good and saving it and someone forced them, then she can get out of her punishment).

23. Nancy Shrew
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand this comment. Could you extrapolate?

24. uberhausfrau
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

last spring i heard an interview of harold kushner, the author of “when bad things happen to good people” and he cringed when he thought back to the days when he told people facing horrible and painful situations “god has a plan” and other variations. these ideas, while they may work later when one has worked through the stages of grief, in the immediacy of crisis, they seem highly insensitive and insincere.

25. Evelyn
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

“You can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
    -Anne Lamott

26. dark_morgaine
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Alright, Ms. Angle. Where in the Bible does it say rape is “part of God’s plan”? I personally don’t believe that the Bible is “God’s divine word” or whatever, but a lot of Christians do, and usually they don’t actually know very much scripture. Also, I’ve never come across a passage that says abortion is wrong, or ever seen the issue come up. Boils down to whether a fetus is a human who can be “murdered” or not.
    Anyway, as a reassurance to everyone on this site, I live in Nevada and I WILL NOT vote for this Tea Partier.

27. battle angel alita
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

“Personally, I think this is a problem for anyone who believes in God.”
    you think all peoples belief about God are homogeneous? seriously?
    first of all you have to be a looney to think its parts of Gods plan. your idea about free will seems rather skewed. as far as my faith goes there is a lot of emphasis on the day of judgement and that all injustices that are not dealth with in this world will be dealt with in the next, however it is our responsibility to stop things like this occuring in the first place. this is done through guidence given in religious texts. also, not all religions oppose abortion, like in mine the victims of rape are supposed to get support and given abortions if they want and the rapists dealt with. most men who are caught for raping have a history of rape before which is not dealt with and hense go on raping. this is about prevention vs cure-these men are usually known yet it is human failure that allows them to commit such crimes. and like PDXHopeful says, “It says the rapist has the choice to attempt rape, and the victim has the choice to attempt escape. It has nothing to do with the outcome.”

28. TabloidScully
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

By disrespecting the severity of what happened to the mothers that bore them?
    That might be good and well, except that their reasoning only extends to the existence of these children while in utero. These same people just trying to carve a gentler response to children born of these conditions are the first to leave them vulnerable and defenseless after they are born. It’s the Tea Party pro-lifers (like Angle and Sarah Palin) who cut programs designed to assist young mothers, who slash financing to community mental health programs that would be valuable in helping tykes process their parentage, who basically sentence a woman to pregnancy and then continue to punish her in the unwanted role of reluctant mother.
    My hope? It’s “God’s will” that Sharron Angle not win the election.

29. battle angel alita
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

“These people are trying to respect the existence of children born of rape and incest.”
    there is one thing to abbor the act of rape-its another to devalue a life that is born of rape. could you imagine being a teenager, knowing you were born from a rape? what guilt that would put on you? if your going to be angry or dispresect someone aim that feeling at the rapist.

30. Edgy1004
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

I AM a Christian and I DO believe in God and God’s presence in my life.
    First I want to present a little story that I am super proud of. I lived with a girl in college who was a very conservative Christian and she was against abortion and birth control because it “interfered with god’s plan” My response to her was “By that logic, so do seat belts.” She is not very happy and living in “sin” with her boyfriend. I like to think I had a hand in that.
    Basically the question is “Why do bad things happen (to good people)?”. PDXHopeful had a pretty good response but let me expand a little. Some Christians (myself included) believe that bad things happen not because God wills it to happen but because human beings choose to do bad things. Children go hungry because WE choose not to feed them. The question that follows is “Why doesn’t God just come and fix everything.” Free-will is a gift, it is what makes us human. We can choose to do evil or choose to do good. Consequences are the flip side of the free-will coin. Without consequences free-will doesn’t mean anything.
    There are some Christians who believe in predestination (the puritans for example). They believe that before everything, God decided who was good and who wasn’t, nothing you can do as a person will change that. But if you are the chosen one you won’t even want to do bad things so you better do good things so know one will ever find out how horrible you are.
    After some Googling I found that Ms. Angle is a Southern Baptist (super conservative type of Christian). One thing that is super funny about her being SB is that they really are into gender rolls and the stay at home Mother idea. She shouldn’t even be working. Obviously a believer in the whole “Well WOMEN should stay at home, but it is okay that I have a career because I am doing what God wants.” Or maybe she doesn’t even know that much about what her church actually believes and she just spout whatever she has heard people around her say.

31. Jill
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Either God wants to abolish evil and cannot – or he can but does not want to.
    If he wants to abolish evil but cannot, then he is impotent.
    If he can and does not want to, then he is wicked. ~ Epicurus
    Somewhere in the world a man has abducted a little girl.
    Soon he will rape, torture and kill her.
    If an atrocity of this kind is not occurring at precisely this moment, it will happen in a few hours, or days at most.
    Such is the confidence we can draw from the statistical laws that govern the lives of 6 billion human beings…
    An atheist is a person who believes that the murder of a single little girl — once in a million years — casts doubt upon the idea of a benevolent God.
    – Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation

32. qtiger
    Posted June 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

This.
    Nothing says unconditional love like an eternity of screaming agony.

33. filiasilvae
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Actually, they’re trying to mandate the birth of children from rape and incest.
    Forced pregnancy is prolonged assault.

• Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I understand that Angle feels that the unborn child is innocent and therefore his/her life should be spared. But the mother is innocent, too, is she not? So why should she get an unwanted, UNDESERVED nine-month sentence of physical and emotional suffering while the man who violated her walks away free?

34. Kienew
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 4:44 am | Permalink

I wish that I could like your comment more than once. I’m religious, a feminist and a rape victim, and this summarizes exactly how I feel. Free will is a blessing and a curse. Thank you for writing it so eloquently.

35. Brittany
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Your comment is pretty damn offensive.
    I’ve been seeing plenty of religious hate here and it’s been getting on my nerves.
    Basically, you’re free to do anything but be Christian in a feminist society?

36. Mighty Ponygirl
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Not really. You respect them by giving their mother choice. If a woman is raped and chooses to carry a pregnancy to term, she has decided to set aside the pain of what has happened to her and try to create something positive out of it. You can call that God’s Will if you like. In deciding to carry the pregnancy to term, the woman has made a conscious commitment to carrying for the fetus at least until birth (whereupon she may decide to give it up for adoption) — but it is much more likely she will treat the pregnancy with the respect that you’re suggesting.
    If you were to FORCE a woman to bear a pregnancy born of rape, then there is no respect in that equation. All the “respect” in the world from the likes of Angle means exactly diddly-shit to a fetus that is being neglected and abused in the womb because the mother is so disgusted at the daily reminder of her assault that she doesn’t go to doctor’s appointments, continues to do activities that are harmful to the fetus, and may in fact voluntarily try to harm herself in an attempt to miscarry.
    The fact is that abortion due to rape and abortion from consensual sex are completely equal. You cannot kill a two-year old because it’s mother was raped anymore than you can kill a two-year-old whose parents were happily married. If a woman realizes she is pregnant after being assaulted, her decision to abort only bears emotional gravity for her. For the rest of us, it’s none of our damn business why she chose to abort (or even if she did at all).
    However, in constructing laws that force a woman to relive, daily, her sexual assault because the result of it is making her sick, or moving around in her stomach, violating her bodily integrity in a fashion not unlike the act that brought her into the state, then we are all implicated for our lack of morality and Christian compassion.

• Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

“However, in constructing laws that force a woman to relive, daily, her sexual assault because the result of it is making her sick, or moving around in her stomach, violating her bodily integrity…”

As I said above, in rape and incest, the woman is the victim–she is in no way responsible for what happened to her, so she shouldn’t be forced to suffer and relive the effects of the attack. To me, that’s like saying to her, “It’s your own fault you got assaulted, now go and suffer for the next nine months to pay for it.” It’s blaming and punishing the victim. And meanwhile the rapist, who IS responsible for the crime, almost always walks away free. He doesn’t have to endure the symptoms of pregnancy and relive the attack and its results day after day.

37. Jill
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 9:26 am | Permalink

I am sorry to have offended you Brittany – but I didn’t say that you can’t be feminist and be a Christian, and I certainly didn’t target you or even Christianity specifically.
    I pointed out a very simple truth – the world is filled with human suffering, and if there is a God he is either unable to stop it, or he actively chooses not to. It’s logical, not personal.
    I made a legitimate criticism of theism that is offensive to you, but I’m afraid I cannot help that… and I’m certainly not going to censor myself to avoid it… but I am sorry all the same.

38. Wednesday
    Posted July 1, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Well, I said “the Jesus depicted in the Gospels” for a reason.
    I’ve found that prominent American Christians who hold far-right positions on social issues like abortion and gay rights tend to claim they take the bible literally, a claim that is rarely questioned. I think this is a mistake, because it gives them a false legitimacy. The Bible’s only mention of induced abortion is a trial-by-ordeal, and Jesus said a whole lot about love but nothing about gay marriage and adoption. Not to mention the Rapture theology that’s making its way into GOP platforms, which is manifestly NOT based on a literal reading of the bible.
    As an atheist I cannot say their interpretation of the God of Abraham is factually wrong. As someone with morals, I _can_ say that their god is an asshole. And as someone with basic reading comprehension skills, I can definitely say that their reading of their holy book is _not_ literal.
    We don’t need to bust out the Problem of Evil here to discredit them. We can do it on the levels of basic morals and honesty.

39. Posted August 3, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

In all, it just makes me absolutely sick and angry that even in this day and age people still use and abuse God’s word to justify oppressing and mistreating women, gays, and other groups.