What We Missed

As if we needed more depressing news about why this is not and never was a “hecession.”
The American Academy of Pediatrics has reversed its decision last month regarding the practice of female circumcision.
Two outraged bio-ethicists call for a registry to find out what the long-term health risks are of egg donation.
Kristal Brent Zook, author of Black Women’s Lives, asks: “Are television executives really only interested in black women when we’re acting a fool? And more importantly, are we really only interested in seeing ourselves portrayed in this light?”
Abel Moreno called 911 when a police officer began assaulting his girlfriend. Before the end of the year, he could be deported to Mexico for his trouble.
Adrienne Marie Brown reflects on “by any means necessary.”
How women got the right to drink in pubs and other such Irish victories.
Ladies just love to hate on Erin Andrews. Leave the woman alone, already.
Gotta quote my girl Court Sullivan on this one: “Dear New York Observer: Please quit trying to distract me with your maddening buzz words. Brobos? Really?? I haven’t even gotten over faminists yet.”
Men Against Violence will host a national conference, “Paving a Rocky Road: Removing Barriers to Men’s Engagement” October 14-16, 2010 at Pacific Lutheran University. If you want to present, you have until June 4th to apply. Contact the organization for details.

1. ak33yu
    Posted May 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Re the outraged bioethicists:
    Ooh, a registry! Because what I really want is more long term third party documentation on the reproductive choices of individual women. No slippery slope danger there, surely.
    But why stop at egg donation and IVF? I’ve taken Lupron and HRT as an off label treatment for Endometriosis. I’ve taken misoprostol off label to complete a miscarriage. Exactly how many times should I be expected to put my uterus on a registry, do you suppose?

2. Surfin3rdWave
    Posted May 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

I abhor the phrase “female circumcision”. I’m not a fan of male circumcision, but it isn’t NEARLY as physically or emotionally detrimental as female genital mutilation. I don’t think it’s acceptable to use the same word to describe two completely different practices.
    That said, the AAP’s decision makes sense to me. Allowing a nick to the clitoris might prevent many baby girls from being sent overseas for a much more horrendous and dangerous procedure. All forms of FGM should be avoided at all cost, but I think it would be worth it if it prevents more serious problems.

3. hustle-rose010
    Posted May 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe the term “female circumcision” is still used. :/

4. gwye
    Posted May 27, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

That Men Against Violence site bothers me. I’m all for men speaking against violence, but the site pedestalizes by assuming all gender based violence is man beating woman. In reality about 40% of domestic violence victims are men.
    Also: I’m glad common sense still has enough clout to sway to AAP.

5. Alexander
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 7:50 am | Permalink

I’m confused by your post. Are you saying the nick to the clitoris is FGM (which I believe it is), yet the nick (FGM) is still MORE physically and emotionally detrimental then male cicumscion(which at the very best can be described as genital modification of infants)? Keeping in mind both are done under medical supervision in an industrialised country?

6. 76cents
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Amazing the giant, loping strides Irish women made then. Nell McCafferty is one of the most intriguing people in Irish current affairs. I cracked up reading the brandy episode. She spoke at our uni once and she was absolutely awesome.

7. 76cents
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 8:19 am | Permalink
  8. theadydal
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 9:02 am | Permalink

I am dismayed to see the link sent on the achievement’s of the Irish Women’s liberation movement being linked to in a such a manner. Yes one of the 10 listed was about the right to be in pubs and get served but you had to lead with that one cos it’s Irish.
    I am disappointed at the propagations of that stereotype and I certainly didn’t send in the link for it to be used in such an insulting manner.
    I guess feminism and it’s crew only care about the incorrect and harmful stereotyping of more ethnic nationalizes. I have been an avid reader of this site for the last 5 years and often link to it and promote it, I expected better.

9. Brianna G
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Yeah, plus this tradition– a nick on the clitoral hood– is an ancient and popular compromise among more liberal-minded Muslims. It’s not out of thin air. In fact, in both Jewish and Muslim traditions, nicking the foreskin is used as a compromise in baby boys who are too weak to be circumcised or who have hemophilia. This is good for the doctors, who can say, look, here’s a MUSLIM tradition, not a Western one, that you can do that will provide the blood sacrifice called for without breaking any laws or spending money to go abroad.
    I’ve long hoped they would do this.

10. Courtney
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Hey theadydal, sorry it rubbed you the wrong way. I happen to be Irish, and I love indulging in my drinking heritage. It’s a stereotype, to be sure, but it’s one I don’t mind celebrating.
    I’m also not sure what “more ethnic” means, fyi.

11. Tabs
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Also: A new edition or translation — one that doesn’t rather slaughter the original — is out of The Second Sex.

12. redvsblue
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

gwye – I’m actually a domestic violence survivor advocate at a hospital and am curious to know where you got that statistic. I do agree that, of course, men are victims of domestic violence. Forty percent just seems a little high for overall DV cases

13. Kessei
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

“In reality about 40% of domestic violence victims are men.”
    And who is beating those male victims? I don’t know where you got your statistic, but I’d bet money that it includes male children (who are primarily abused by adult male family members).
    I think the key issue is that violence is primarily a male problem.

14. gwye
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Of all persons who suffer an injury from partner aggression, 38% are male.

15. queenofbirds.wordpress.com
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I have to say as an Irish woman (by that I mean as a person who was born, brought up in, and lives in Ireland, not someone whose ethnic heritage is Irish but was born and brought up someone else) I was a bit insulted by lead-in too. If you want to get people clicking, how about mentioning that you couldn’t buy condoms til 1991, being gay was only decriminalised in the 1990′s, and abortion is still illegal.
    There is certainly truth to the ‘drunken Irish’ stereotype but there’s no need to perpetuate it in an article which is about women’s rights and dignity.

16. IAmGopherrr
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I checked teh site out and its seems an MRA site. Its all about how women misuse the system and only identify cases of women supposedly misusing it. The number sounds incredibly wrong and unrealistic and is most probably not true.

17. IAmGopherrr
    Posted May 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Yay!Its about time! I read the old one and parts of it seemed mistranslated. Without knowing I knew that it was the translators fault and not hers. WHy wouldnt she know what she was talking about? I’ll have to read the new one now.

18. gwye
    Posted May 29, 2010 at 2:55 am | Permalink

I’m sorry I didn’t realize that site was so hate filled.
    But even if the website is biased, the source they cite is objective
    [John Archer: Sex differences in aggression between heterosexual partners: A meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 126, No. 5, pages 651-680]
    Do you have another figure you think is more reliable?

19. Broggly
    Posted May 29, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I haven’t read the article, but where someone other than the “parents” contributes biological material to the progeny, it makes sense to keep good records in case of genetic disease or unwitting inbreeding.

20. Anonymous
    Posted May 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

From the NYTimes article link: “Ms. Smith sought help from Wren’s father to look after their daughter. But he had his own job delivering pizza, limiting his availability. (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/24/business/economy/24childcare.html?pagewanted=2&hp)
    “Some days, I’d just have to call in sick,” she said.
    By March, she had missed so many days that Target put her on a leave of absence, telling her to come back after securing stable child care, she said.”
    So once again, the father’s needs are more important than the mother’s. Both have equally bad jobs, but guess who gets fired for taking care of the kids…
    You know, in a sane world, this would bring down the birthrate about 98 per cent.

21. 76cents
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 7:25 am | Permalink

I posted a long response too essentially saying the same thing. I took umbrage too at Courtney’s “drinking heritage”, whatever the heck that means. Thanks Hollywood and those who are of Irish descent and easily-marketed too for perpetuating stereotypes.

22. mamram
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Are you opposed to all stage IV clinical trials? I get that there are privacy concerns here, but with no way to establish long term safety, our options are to abandon novel treatments altogether or to simply cross our fingers and hope that everything will be okay. The latter seems to be the status quo and I don’t think that is acceptable, especially when women are being paid to do it.

23. mamram
    Posted June 1, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

FGM is not a Muslim tradition. It is practiced by people of many faiths, and is unheard of in much of the Muslim world.