NH gubernatorial candidate Jack Kimball compares paying taxes to being raped

Headshot of Jack Kimball
New Hampshire republican gubernatorial candidate Jack Kimballa survivalist who calls Glenn Beck an “American hero”compared paying taxes to being raped at a recent Tea Party rally.

[Kimball] drew cheers with an anti-tax message. He decried the state’s taxation of business while criticizing its relatively low level of services.
“I don’t mind paying my fair share, folks,” he said. “I don’t think any of us do. But I do mind when I’m raped. It’s awful.”

Yeah, rape is awful – which is why it’s so disgusting that Kimball thinks that using the term as some sort of casual colloquialism and comparing it to paying taxes is just fine and dandy. Let him know that it’s not.

1. s mandisa
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

he’s just offensive on so many levels. typical manifestation of unchecked and unconscious male privilege to appropriate a tool of patriarchy (rape) and attempt to apply it to something he simply does not want to do (pay certain taxes).
    also, I wonder if his sexist comments will be used to attribute New England as a backwards region of the US? I hope not, but any time someone from the South makes such a remark it reflects on our entire region. I wonder what that’s about……

2. pesematology
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Sent him:
    Comparing being taxed to experiencing violent sexual assault is reprehensible. Use violent misogynist imagery contributes to rape culture, that is, the idea that rape is not a big deal. Not that bad. Comparable to paying taxes. Just an inconvenience. This attitude, when widespread, has been shown to directly correlate with incidence of rape. Yes, that’s right. The offhanded misuse of the word actually contributes to the rate of occurrence of physical acts of sexual violence. Please choose your words more carefully in the future.
    [my actual name]

3. Adormidera
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

This disgusts me so much. I’m shocked that this kind of commentary goes unchecked by the Republican party and its supporters.
    Not long ago, last week I believe, Jon Voight also spoke about the political situation in the United States by comparing it to rape.
    Two public conservative figures using the same dangerously sexist and callous dialogue, immediately after one another? It seems that diminishing the horrors of rape and simultaneously dramatizing politics is catching on lately. (Not to say they haven’t always used hyperbole.)
    And people (Conservatives) say the Tea-Parties are peaceful. Yeah fucking right.

4. Emeraldcityserendipity
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I doubt this outrageous comment (which has actually been used at least once before by rightwingers – apparently some people have a version of reality twisted enough and perverse enough to equate contributing necessary money to public funds to being sexually assaulted) will be used to attribute the six states of New England as a backwards region (especially since New England is one of the most progressive regions of the country); however, it will perhaps make people of the Granite state (and elsewhere) realize how backwards and regressive their tax policy (NH and AK are the only states that have no statewide income or sales tax) is to be based solely on property taxes, meal taxes and liquor sales for revenue. I doubt it will spark any desire for a change of tax structure amongst the Granite(headed) staters (I’m a former resident so I can get away with knocking it), but maybe people will see how ludicrous the aversion to taxes can be if someone has the gall to equate it with sexual assault.

5. JMiner
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Here’s the Merriam-Webster online dictionary entry for “rape”:
    1 : an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force
    2 : unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against the will usually of a female or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent — compare sexual assault, statutory rape
    3 : an outrageous violation
    Is it so unlikely that Jack Kimball was using the term in one of its other, widely understood meanings? According to his bio on his campaign website, Kimball lives with his wife, step-daughter, and mother-in-law. His other daughter has two children, both girls. Does this sound like a man who would trivialize sexual assault?
    This post deserves an update.

6. MLEmac28
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

If he had compared it to being mugged, it would still be a hyperbole, but at least in the same ball park because money (or something of monetary value) is stolen.
    He’s an ass.
    My message to him:
    Paying taxes is not like being raped. Being raped is like being raped.

7. misssquirrelygirl
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Sent ->
    I recently came across a statement of yours comparing taxation to rape.
    “I don’t mind paying my fair share, folks. I don’t think any of us do. But I do mind when I’m raped. It’s awful.”
    You ARE correct – rape IS awful and I find your analogy between rape and taxes to be awful as well. Rape is a crime and NOT a political “soundbite.” While you may simply be repeating the vitriol spewed by Glenn Beck and other radio personalities, you should be aware of how incredibly insensitive and hurtful this is to survivors of sexual assault. Quite frankly, I expect better from political leaders, both current and those who want my vote in the future.

8. Adormidera
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

And here’s the dictionary.com definitions:
    the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
    any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
    statutory rape.
    an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation:
    The “widely used” alternative is the fourth definition after the three most commonly inferred meanings, all of which refer to actual rape, the criminal act.
    I also wouldn’t suggest that just because a man has a lot of women in his life that he’s less inclined to be a misogynist or to have misguided beliefs about sexual assault. I don’t think I’ve ever met a sexist or a rape apologist that didn’t have women in his or her life.

9. Jessica
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

No, the post absolutely does NOT deserve an “update.”
    The only thing rape is “widely understood” to mean is sexual assault. And when people use the term like this – whether it’s a politician comparing rape to taxes or a student saying they got “raped” by a test – they are insulting rape victims everywhere and showing a complete disregard for human suffering.
    And I hate to tell you, but a lot of people have daughters and female family members (even rapists!), that doesn’t excuse them for being disgusting.

10. Brianna G
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Not having sales tax makes us a LOT of money from businesses and is pretty much the only reason we ever get out of state money. Cost-benefit analyses actually show that we will lose revenue if we institute a sales tax, at least in border towns.
    And we can’t have an income tax because federal law is stupid. Federal law says you pay income tax first to the state you work in, then if your home state wants more, you pay to them. So if you live in NH and work in MA, and MA wants you to pay $3,000 and NH wants you to pay $2,000, NH gets nothing and MA gets $3,000. The majority of wealth in the state comes from those who work in MA, esp. Boston. So we would either have to have significantly higher taxes than MA– which makes us the bad guy, hurts MA coffers, and is too much too soon for an income tax– or we put the entire burden for funding the state on those who work here– mostly service and agricultural, poor workers.
    NH has a crisis of taxes, but because of our unique situation– our reliance on out-of-state shoppers and reputation as a tax haven combined with the fact that most of our people work out of state– the normal answers simply won’t work. We’re willing to pay taxes. We’re just not willing to go from nothing to higher than MA in a year, overburden our poor, or destroy our tourism economy.

11. Brianna G
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Jack Kimball owns an office park down the street from me and spews bullshit on signs out front. Good news is, he’s not really a serious candidate– he’s unlikely to be chosen He has zero prior political experience and is competing against a very popular Democratic incumbent. Our current serious Republican contenders are Karen Testerman and John Stephen, a Republican activist and a former director of HHS respectively. Still, every poll thus far has current governor Lynch beating all candidates by large margins, with Stephen as the best contender with 37% to Lynch’s 47%. They’re all pretty much unknown and none are particularly popular.
    The real concern is not the governorship, but the seat vacated by Republican Judd Gregg, representing the western half of the state. That’s kinda up in the air, but Democrats are really pushing for Paul Hodes to be elected– he’s a great candidate and a great guy. Any NHites who want to stump for him, you’re needed.

12. apricoco
    Posted April 20, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink

My letter to him:
    Mr. Kimball,
    As an actual rape survivor, I can attest, rape is awful. What’s more awful? Having people use that language, a word used to imply a specific type of violence, and belittle my actual awful experience by equating it with following the law and paying taxes. No Mr. Kimball, you aren’t allow to make those kinds of comparisons, because paying taxes is NOT like rape. Paying taxes isn’t anything like having a rope tied around your neck, and your life threatened if you told police. Paying taxes isn’t like being held down and screaming for help. Paying taxes is anything like going to the hospital alone and having your private parts combed for evidence. Paying taxes isn’t anything like being confronted by your rapist in a public place where you fear that your won’t be able to run. Mr. Kimball, you should be ashamed of yourself. Rape is serious, it’s a serious act of violence, it’s a serious crime, and a serious subject. Rape victims deserve more respect than you making false equivocations about paying taxes. It is NOT the same at all. Perhaps some perspective and an apology are in order.

13. Marc
    Posted April 20, 2010 at 5:30 am | Permalink

If Jack Kimball can find me an overtaxed American who suffers from depression and flashbacks, who sometimes breaks down and cries because of the painful memories of being taxed, whose stories of being taxed aren’t listened to or believed, who was questioned as to why she didn’t do something about, whose being taxed affects an entire commmunity, who went to college hoping to pursue a dream but ended up dropping out because of being overtaxed, who has to change her routines around because of the fear of being taxed, who was told she asked to be taxed, and how suffers both physically and emotionally from being taxed, I’ll come and work on his campaign for free. I am a hell of a political organizer and my offers stands.
    Until then, Kimball should shut the hell up because he sure as hell doesn’t know a damn thing about rape.