Quick Hit: Katie Washington, 21, is First Black Valedictorian in Notre Dame’s History

A smiling Katie Washington sits in front of a microscope
Soo excited to hear that the University of Notre Dame will graduate its first black valedictorian next month! And DOUBLY excited to hear that she’s a woman! Big ups to bad ass women of color doing it big all over the world.
NBC News reports that Katie Washington is from Gary, Indiana, and is a biology major and minor in Catholic social teaching with a 4.0 GPA. She will make history next month as the first black valedictorian from the University of Notre Dame.
Congrats to Katie and her entire family!
Thanks to Chi-Chi for the link :-)

1. Toongrrl
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

congrats to Katie!

2. Andrew
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Yay! Katie was one of my students in Medical Ethics some years back. I am not at all surprised at her accomplishments since then!

3. genericjanedoe
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Awesome! I have several friends from the Gary area, and it’s a community facing its fair share of challenges. I’m glad she’s making Gary proud.

4. rebekah
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

congrats Katie!!!!!! Biology rocks and it’s great to see a storng woman who is so intelligent representing the field

5. s mandisa
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

to me, she’s not just the first black val…she’s the first black woman valedictorian. I understand that no black person has been val ever at Notre Dame (and so many more schools), but i just like the way it sounds. b/c im a black woman myself, i guess!!
    do the damn thing, Katie!!!!!!
    Im so happy for her.

6. lalalorelai14
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Congrats Katie! It’s so good to hear this coming out of my alma mater, which has had more than it’s share of problems in the way they deal with women and minority students. My graduating year the valedictorian was a woman, and it’s great to see women excelling :) Great job Katie, you’re making domers (and feminists, and people really) everywhere proud!

7. cattrack2
    Posted April 13, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Wow! Very Cool!!! Big Big Ups Katie!!!

8. Williams
    Posted April 15, 2010 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Katie, congratulation to you and continue to achieve your goals in life. Gary, Indiana is where I grow up. Thanks for keeping Gary on the map in showing that there are positive people that comes from their.smile