What We Missed

What the Tea Party protesters are really trying to say. NO MINORITIES GET SHIT UNTIL I GET SOME OF THIS WHITE PRIVILEGE I KEEP HEARING ABOUT
Our own Chloe has a piece at the Guardian responding to the the oft heard phrase, “I’m not a feminist, but…”
The Catholic Church used isolated Native villages in Alaska as a “dumping ground” for pedophile priests.
Transgender women and supporters protested Tuesday for the removal of the transphobic film “Ticked Off Tra**ies with Knives” from Tribeca Film Festival.
Senior Democrats are trying to talk Rep. Stupak out of retiring. Dear senior Dems: Stop. How about supporting Connie Saltonstall instead?

1. lovelyliz
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

OK. Not all tea party protesters are like that. At all. :/
    Additionally, Chloe’s piece was kickass.

2. alice-paul
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Scott Turner Schofield, a trans guy, has an interesting take on the TOTWK controversy:
    A worthwhile read whether or not you agree.

3. davenj
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Nothing on UConn’s women winning their second straight national title in their second straight undefeated season? This is the biggest streak in hoops since UCLA in the 1970′s with John Wooden!
    I know this site isn’t DEVOTED to sports, but let’s give some props to an incredible team of athletes. I simply can’t believe I’m the first person to bring this up at this point. They’ve won 78 games in a row for heaven’s sake.

4. Elizabeth
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Loved the piece at The Guardian. Quite a few of my friends say that phrase and it drives me nuts!

5. SnrkyFeminist
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 12:00 am | Permalink

How….HOW…..is there not more of a backlash from members of the Catholic church?! The article about Native communities in Alaska being enclaves for pedophile priests makes me physically ill. Yet I know many socially responsible people who were either raised Catholic or currently identify as Catholic that do not discuss the disgusting revelations of child abuse, and most definitely do not believe that this is enough of a reason to leave the church. Maybe that is just the people that I know, and others have experienced this…anyone? I feel like it is just talked about by non-Catholics, while current Catholics (and those with Catholic parents or other family) just stay silent on this issue. WHERE ARE ALL THE OUTRAGED CATHOLICS?!

6. LalaReina
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 12:19 am | Permalink

It’s hard being Catholic these days, they have let me down so badly.

7. sonia
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 12:38 am | Permalink

i think what the comic is getting at is that tea party protesters are poor or uneducated whites who cling onto their white privelige. renee of womanist musings had a great post about this.

8. gadgetgal
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 6:46 am | Permalink

Great article in the Guardian – I suffer from hearing that phrase too often as well! The comments are the usual sexist tripe, but ignore that and read what Chloe wrote, it’s well worth it!

9. norbizness
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 9:26 am | Permalink

That can’t be a tea party sign, it contains no discernible spelling errors.
    And the reason the Lady Huskies’ winning streak and second straight national title aren’t being mentioned has something to do with a 12-point half. They were lucky; if they had scored 10 points or less, Title IX would have been automatically repealed.

10. johanna in dairyland
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Survivor Network of those Abused by Priests, Call to Action, Women’s Ordination Conference, Mary E. Hunt on Religious Dispatches, @kchildgraham on Twitter ….

11. Toongrrl
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Ohhhhh…..don’t Alaskans have to contend with Sarah Palin already? They have pedophile priests????

12. SnrkyFeminist
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks. But this sort of proves my point, since I haven’t heard of ANY of these organizations. I’m relieved they exist, of course, but I personally think it isn’t enough. I know so many Catholics, I have family members who have married into Catholic families, and they are just MUM on this issue. I don’t get it.

13. lovelyliz
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I understand what it’s getting at … I just think it’s totally insulting to label an entire group of people.
    I understand that criticizing a few members of the group or even critiquing some of their beliefs is legitimate, but simplifying a large group as white, undereducated xenophobes is a small-minded way of thinking and frankly, it’s offensive.

14. johanna in dairyland
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Well, a couple thoughts. First, you’re absolutely right – the existence of progressive Catholic groups isn’t enough – nothing is enough until we effectively dismantle the systems that allowed sexually abusive priests to be shielded from the law and shuttled about. But, I’m not sure how you not knowing about the existence of these groups – particularly SNAP, which garnered MASSIVE media attention after the Boston scandal broke, and continues to have representatives interviewed in national outlets every time something like this breaks – proves your point. What I’m pointing out is that there are large, organized movements against not only the sexual violence perpetrated by agents of the church, but also dedicated to dismantling the structures that protect abusers and promote secrecy. Oh, I forgot in my original post, Voice of the Faithful, which came out of the Boston diocese to demand accountability from their bishop.
    You say, “Maybe it’s just people I know.” I don’t want to say “just,” since perhaps others are surrounded by apathetic Catholics. I want to say – look, here’s a vital movement for justice, here’s a lot of pissed off Catholics who are sick of this kind of thing, and they need the support of allies as opposed to being written off as somehow insignificant.
    Oh, and the Twitterer I mentioned should be @katechildsgraham.

15. Gular
    Posted April 9, 2010 at 12:01 am | Permalink

I think you also need to look at what all the Teabaggers have in common — which tends to be conservative believes of the Right fringe. Those beliefs are, by and large, xenophobic, homophobic and racist. Would I say all Teabaggers are in all categories? No, I wouldn’t. But to identify, you would need to fit it to some model or degree. Or else you’re just posing, no?

16. davenj
    Posted April 9, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Luck is part of sport, and they were playing the other dominant force in women’s basketball (Stanford). Both teams deserve recognition for how good they are.
    But realistically sports is time and context-sensitive. How can this site adequately promote female athletic accomplishments if it isn’t on top of something as important as the women’s NCAA title? And if it ignores something like a team of incredible female athletes winning 78 games in a row (with two national titles in the mix) what does that say about how the site values female athletics?
    I’m not saying cover everything, but UConn hoops is a really, really big deal.