What We Missed

An April Fool’s “joke” at the University of Colorado Denver included printing an issue of the school’s newspaper with content like an article entitled: “Enjoy Obamacare If You Like Payin’ For Illegal Mexicans.” Lovely. A protest rally is being held today.
Another earthquake (this one 7.2) struck the border of Mexico and California on Sunday.
A mob attacked activists in Indonesia, who had gathered for a gay rights conference that had been shut down by police there.
A city ordinance is up for consideration in Austin that would require Crisis Pregnancy Centers to post signs to “notify consumers that they do not provide or make referrals for either abortion or contraceptive services.”
New unemployment numbers were released on Friday. While many are saying that it marks an improvement in the economy, Race Wire explains that the situation for Blacks and Latinos is not getting any better.
The US military has admitted (after a cover-up was revealed) that they were involved in the murder of three Afghan women during a night raid. Two of the women were pregnant.

1. MLEmac28
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

It’s obvious the University of Colorado newspaper was trying its hand at satire. People probably wouldn’t bat an eyelash if there was a title like that in The Onion.
    I can’t know for sure without reading the offending articles, but the most they may be guilty of is bad satirical writing.

2. lucierohan
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

“An April Fool’s “joke” at the University of Colorado Denver included printing an issue of the school’s newspaper with content like an article entitled: “Enjoy Obamacare If You Like Payin’ For Illegal Mexicans.” Lovely.”
    I think its lack of loveliness was exactly the point.
    I’m with MLEmac. With all the blatant grammatical errors and obnoxious caps in that particular article, it seems pretty obvious that this was satire. I’m not saying its the most original or amusing form of satire (the “ig’nant red state dweller” routine is way overdone if you ask me) but it was definitely satire. I feel the same way about the other articles I read. Some of them were pretty damn funny. I recommend “College Paper Continues Despite Having No Readers”.

3. SarahSimone
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Damn Austin, you just keep getting better. I really hope that ordinance passes. I get so angry every time I see a poster for those crisis centers. According to the article people are protesting. I would just LOVE to hear their reasoning for why these places shouldn’t have to be honest about what services they do and do not offer.

4. Steven
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

The first thought I had after reading that was all of the mocking of the “He-cession” that went on in the feminist blogs.
    I know that Hoff-Sommers may not be everyone favorite feminist around here, but her history is accurate when the original stimulus package came out, many feminist were advocating for “human infrastructure” projects, as opposed to public infrastructure projects ( http://www.aei.org/article/100658) and they were successful in changing the composition of the stimulus package.
    Never mind the fact that public infrastructure projects have the greatest known stimulus effect, beating out any form of tax cut (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/opinion/12krugman.html?_r=1) to help fix the nations economy.
    And never mind that more blacks and Latinos are active employed in infrastructure projects and the manufacturing jobs that support the building activities than they are in white collar “human infrastructure” jobs.
    White middle class female feminist helped water down the stimulus package that would have provide jobs to blacks and Latinos in exchange for jobs that benefited them.
    And feminist do not even know the role that their movement played in acerbating the problem of the racial job gap.

5. nonsequiteuse
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Hope for Texas yet! Now that the wingnuts on the State Board of Education have voted to remove Thomas Jefferson from the required history text books, Texans may just have reached their breaking point with state-supported lies, misrepresentations, and misinformation. CPC disclosure requirements would be a wonderful step in a state that used to have a very strong Deceptive Trade Practices Act (until big business gutted it).

6. AvidOne
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Why does it matter that two of the Afghan women were pregnant? Does that make their lives more valuable than that of the woman who was not pregnant?

7. lucierohan
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I always wonder whether or not I should be offended by lines like that. I don’t think women who are pregnant are worth more than women who aren’t and I think observations like this one are often tied to that assumption.
    But on a visceral level, it heightens my sense of what a tragedy this is. Maybe it’s the feeling that these men destroyed four lives in two (I don’t know if this sounds problematic from a pro-choice perspective, but a pregnant woman who plans to bring the pregnancy to full term certainly feels loss after losing, or not being able to protect the child). Maybe its the sense that even though these women were in the one state (pregnancy) that kind of elicits a brand of respect and sensitivity in a patriarchal society, these men were still capable of doing so a horrible thing. Or maybe its internalized sexism, plain and simple. Not really sure.

8. Newbomb Turk
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Chris Kelly had some rather pithy remarks about the killing of the two pregnant women in Afghanistan:
    Special Forces Providing Federally Funded Abortions in Afghanistan