March for America: Change takes courage

On March 21st (that’s next Sunday!) there will be a huge March on Washington.
The March is meant to send a message to Congress: immigration reform cannot wait. It’s also a message to President Obama to keep good on his word and push immigration reform.
I think the tagline, Change Takes Courage, is an appropriate one. We’ve seen the struggle that health care reform has caused, and many say immigration reform will be worse.
It’s hard to imagine.

On March 21st, we will march on Washington, DC to demand immigration reform and economic justice for all Americans. Our vision of reform includes immigrants and native-born U.S. citizens working shoulder to shoulder to achieve better wages, working conditions, and labor protections, and of an American that’s back to work, with a fair balance between main street and wall street.
People from all across America will lend their voice in the fight for reform. We will come together as one voice on the National Mall for a strong America – for families, for workers, for businesses, and for security.
Join thousands from across the country in the March For America in DC on March 21st, and demand Congress act NOW to pass immigration reform and move quickly to put all Americans back to work
Where: National Mall, Washington DC
When: March 21st, 2010 – Interfaith Service at 1:00 pm, March at 2:00 pm

All the details you need to attend and support the March are available here.

1. Destra
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Miriam, could you please amend your post to relate the march to feminism? After looking at the site, I’m a bit at a loss as to how this is a feminist issue.

2. Mollie
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Search back for more stories on immigration. It is clearly a feminist issue. Or get your own blog and write about your idea of what feminism should be.
    Anyway, I really wish I could go to this march… I’ll be at the NYFLC in DC that day, here’s hoping there a 2pm “lunch” break! lol good luck everyone!

3. Toongrrl
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 11:47 am | Permalink

It effects men, women, and children. If one group is screwed, we are all screwed.

4. tpaperny
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

@Destra – What about the scores of women who cross the border from Central and South America and suffer sexual abuse at the hands of coyotes who extort them because of the limited legal channels for gaining entry and citizenship in the U.S?
    What about the men and women who are exploited by their employers but are too afraid to speak up or report because they are worried that they will be deported?
    What about unlawful and inhumane raids that happen in our communities every day?
    What about honoring our immigrant families?

5. AlexMc
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll be there!! thanks for highlighting this historic, important, AND feminist issue.

6. Brittany
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

“Our vision of reform includes immigrants and native-born U.S. citizens working shoulder to shoulder to achieve better wages, working conditions, and labor protections, and of an American that’s back to work, with a fair balance between main street and wall street.”
    Their website isn’t working for me, and I’d march if it was for legal citizens getting better wages.
    Is this about ILLEGAL immigrants? Or? Because I don’t see how anyone could support people that break the law and reap the benefits without paying taxes or learning the basic English needed to live here while others go through the effort of becoming a legal US citizen. Of course, I’m aware that I have white, middle-class privilege, so if someone could explain to me why illegal citizens should be defended despite disregard for the laws, then I will happily lend an ear.

7. Mollie
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

“Illegal” immigrants don’t come here because, oh, it’s just too cumbersome to fill out all that pesky paperwork. First of all, they tend to take a dangerous journey here because there are no jobs and/or little money and/or situations at home that are even more dangerous than the journey here. Then they find a job, often a job that you wouldn’t want to have, such as washing dishes or delivering food on a bike, or underpaid labor jobs. They get less money and they don’t complain, because their immigration status could get them kicked out of the country or at the very least, they could lose their jobs. The money they make often goes back to their countries to help their families, but it isn’t much. They often pay taxes, and often don’t use a lot of public services such as police services, health services, etc because of a fear of being outed and deported. Now that we’ve dispelled the myth that undocumented immigrants are here to suck up our money and take our jobs, now let’s talk about why you should support them. They contribute to the economy (tons of businesses are owned and operated by undocumented immigrants), gaining citizenship or even permanent residency is really freakin hard, they tend to be victims of racism and violent crime (why should we ignore them because of their immigrant status?), our ancestors were “illegal” immigrants. Our ancestors entered a country that was previously inhabited, but they did so violently. Today’s immigrants are breaking a law that our immigrating ancestors hypocritically put into place. As MLK Jr said in his Letter from a Birmingham Jail, if a law does not protect or serve the needs of all people, it is unjust and should be rejected, abolished, rewritten.
    I’m no expert on this but I am an avid supporter of immigrants’ rights, having grown up in a small city with lots of immigrants. I’m sure others will be able to answer your questions with more accuracy and documented proof.

8. Mollie
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

One more thing, a lot of immigrants do attempt to learn English, but #1: English is a really hard language to learn. and #2: if they live in communities with other immigrants and communicate only with other non-English speakers, it’s harder to learn English. Doesn’t mean they don’t want to. #3: Alternately, we could all learn Spanish. It’s a useful language to learn. (And it’s much easier than English.)

9. flowersk
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Regarding your idea about “learning the basic English needed to live here”: the US has no official language. Also, what makes you think that no immigrants learn English, or that they can’t function without English? Finally, did you ever consider the fact that many immigrants might like to learn English but do not have access to the resources (classes, etc.)???Basically, there are a lot of assumptions in your phrase that seem oversimplified and problematic.

10. Suzann
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 1:14 am | Permalink

I don’t know about your family, but all 4 of my grandparents were LEGAL immigrants. Filled out paperwork and all. (And no, they didn’t come here rich. My mother’s father lived in a sod house – aka a hole in the ground with a roof – until he was in his teens. The house my father’s father built was on the market last year for $12,500. And yes, you read that right. Figure it for a shack.)
    It is one thing to support more sensible immigration laws. (Which I do.) It is another to support the attitude that laws are petty things to be ignored. Far too often what I hear is the later. (And yes – I live in LA and work in an industry that employs MANY immigrants – some legal and some otherwise. I am not speaking in pure theory.)
    I wonder how many of the ‘open borders’ enthusiasts would urge the same access to other countries for just any American who chose to move? Or should we respect the laws of other lands?

11. Brittany
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Hmm…you’re right, I guess that was a sweeping assumption. My apologies, I’m just from one of the biggest illegal immigration problem states at the moment, and it’s a little tiring to deal with people who cannot speak English here on a daily basis.

12. Destra
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I did not say that immigration didn’t relate to feminism. I was asking how this march in particular was related to feminism. Two different things. I went to the march site to see what their goals or plan to change immigration policies were, and I couldn’t get a clear answer.

13. Destra
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

If it doesn’t effect different sex or gender groups disproportionately, then it is not a feminist issue. If it affects us all equally, then it is not harming or helping any one gender differently. I’m not saying it’s a bad march, I was asking how it was related to feminism.

14. Destra
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I didn’t say that I thought abuse, exploitation, and slavery are good things. And I didn’t say that honoring immigrant families was bad. I don’t understand why you’re binging these issues up. I was not addressing general immigration issues, just this march in particular. Their goals and methods on their website are nebulous and I was asking Miriam to clarify them in the context of feminism.

15. Mollie
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I’m referring to the fact that this land belonged to people before Europeans came here. They set up a government essentially on top of a pre-existing “government”, so laws that regulate other people coming here are pretty illegit and hypocritical. IMHO.