Quick Hit: DC will be first city to distribute female condoms

Via The Washington Post

The District will become the first city in the United States to distribute female condoms free, part of a project that will make 500,000 of them available in beauty salons, convenience stores and high schools in parts of the city with high HIV rates.
City officials said the distribution could begin within the next three weeks in parts of wards 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7, where a study showed that large numbers of African American heterosexuals engage in risky sexual behavior that could easily lead to infection.
The move is an official acknowledgment of the futility of relying solely on the use of male condoms, which have been distributed citywide for nearly a decade, to stem the District’s epidemic of HIV and AIDS. Officials said they are turning to female condoms to give women more power to protect themselves from HIV and sexually transmitted diseases when their partners refuse to use protection.

1. Comrade Kevin
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I wonder what new strategies will be used to encourage women to use the female condom. Historically, there has been much resistance.

2. Toongrrl
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Finally

3. AnnieW
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

That’s really fabulous news, except…have any of you ever USED a female condom? I have, and they suck. It’s great if you have no other options, but it’s hard to feel sexy with a ring hanging out of your vagina.

4. Hawk or Handsaw
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I don’t think this is true. I know for a fact that Chicago distributes them free at the free clinics because I’ve gotten them there before.

5. caffeinatedqueer
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

That’s great news. It will be interesting to see how it goes — female condoms are still pretty foreign to most USians, in my experience.
    I wish we could re-name female condoms to something else, though — they are actually great protection during anal sex (even though they are designed for vaginal use), and don’t really need to be gendered.

6. paperispatient
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I’ve read that they’ve kind of revamped the female condom in light of some of the common complaints about it, like the awkward noises it can make during PIV sex. I think it’s a great option to have available – I’ve never used one, but for me, knowing that I’m as well-protected from pregnancy and STIs as possible is essential for me to enjoy sex.

7. nikki#2
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

“Officials said they are turning to female condoms to give women more power to protect themselves from HIV and sexually transmitted diseases…”
    This part is great. **Big Smile**
    “…when their partners refuse to use protection.”
    This, not so much. **Rage** Honestly if the man refuses to use protection, that is a pretty good indication that he is a selfish asshole you should not be screwing.
    Just saying.

8. Phenicks
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

My sentiments exactly but people have the right to screw selfish a-holes and get angry when their selfishness shines in the face of STI/STD transmission and or unplanned/unwanted pregnancy.
    I really hope the idea to use protection in this form picks up.

9. MLEmac28
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I’ve used them and wasn’t a fan.
    My boyfriend has trouble staying aroused with male condoms, but he hated the female condom too. He said it felt like “fucking a glad-bag.”