New York State Senator Diane Savino speaks on the Marriage Equality bill

“We have nothing to fear from love and commitment.”

I am so disappointed about the outcome of this vote, but it’s nice to watch the conviction that New York State Senator Diane Savino has about this issue. It makes me feel like at least the fight will continue…
Thanks to alozano for the heads up. If anyone has time to write a transcript, please go for it in comments!

1. Wonderwall
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Hot damn, thats a good speech.

2. aloz
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Yaay!!! THANK YOU!
    And she has a facebook page it would be great if we could all support her:

3. aloz
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Yaay!!! THANK YOU!
    And she has a facebook page it would be great if we could all support her:

4. lucierohan
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

wow what a great speech. I was feeling serious NY pride while I watched it. But of course that pride was dwarfed by disappointment at the result of the vote.

5. GirlHate.com
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

My particular fave quote from the speech was this one:
    “Turn on the television. We have a wedding channel on cable TV devoted to the behavior of people on the way to the altar. They spend billions of dollars, behave in the most appalling way, all in an effort to be princess for a day. You don’t have cable television? Put on network TV. We’re giving away husbands on a game show. You can watch The Bachelor, where thirty desperate women will compete to marry a 40-year-old man who has never been able to maintain a decent relationship in his life…That’s what we’ve done to marriage in America, where young women are socialized from the time they’re five years old to think of being nothing but a bride. They plan every day what they’ll wear, how they’ll look, the invitations, the whole bit, they don’t spend five minutes thinking about what it means to be a wife. People stand up there before god and man even in Senator Diaz’s church, they swear to love honor and obey, they don’t mean a word of it. So if there’s anything wrong with the sanctity of marriage in America, it comes from those of us who have the privilege and the right and have abused it for decades.”
    Nice to know that the NY senate has at least one outspoken, rational, and eloquent person in it. People like her give me hope but I still can’t help but be discouraged by yesterday’s outcome.
    (ALSO discouraged by “Democratic” senators like Diaz and Monserrate. Just blogged about them on our site and how Diaz is apparently more in favor of domestic violence relationships than gay ones. What a guy!: http://girlhate.com/2009/12/03/we-loathe-you-hypocritical-ny-senators-diaz-monserrate/)

6. Comrade Kevin
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

What is further ironic about the way we’ve bastardized marriage is that as idyllic a picture of marriage is for women, it is seen as constrictive and repulsive to men. Makes you wonder if we think we really need to be married at all.

7. Thomas
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Points off for ablism. While there’s a lot to be said about a show that turns a person with a different body into an exoticized curiousity, the way she said “marry a dwarf” was just straight up devaluing little people; and she used that insulting term, too.
    Otherwise, great speech. Awful defeat, not much more I can say except that I hope Diaz gets run over by a bus.

8. Emperor Zarkov
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else think the men sitting behind her were being incredibly disrespectful?

9. nikki#2
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Just wow.

10. TeenMommy
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

I would say yes, and I am going to say yes just because this was such a great speech that I can’t imagine who wouldn’t be sitting still for it, but on the other hand, that seems to be the general distraction level of most people present whenever I have the channel turned to C-Span or the like.

11. Judi
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Yes. The able-bodied privileging was. . . not amazing. “Dwarf” isn’t appropriate at all for a speech concerned with ending one type of oppression. I think she was most concerned, like you said, with the “exoticized curiousity,” but it was pretty bad nonetheless. I feel pretty sure if called on this, though, she would feel awful about it. I would say it’s ignorance, and not malice.
    I also feel a bit worried about her speech because it does romanticize/glorify relationships between non-heterosexuals. Sure, committed partners ought to be able to make the choice to marry. I loved her example of the pedi-cab man. But. I worry about speeches like these in light of ever-growing domestic violence in same-sex relationships and the relative silence on that issue. “You’re better at this than us” arguments don’t help end domestic violence, nor do they even help to make it more visible.
    Don’t get me wrong. I think she _rocks_. I think her speech is amazing, and I think it must be rough being one of the few willing to stand up and say something against this bullshit and then to be criticized on all “sides.” I maintain that she’s lovely, though needs to read more (as we all need to read more).

12. Judi
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Oh. I just re-read this comment, and it seems like I was commenting on her “able-bodied privileging” and use of “dwarf” as one and the same issue. In terms of able-bodied privileging I was referring to the heterosexual folks who “stand up there before god and man. . . they swear to love, honour and obey, and they don’t mean a word of it.”
    Just so’s it’s clear. Yikes. I apologize for that one.

13. Posted December 4, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I listened to the video over and over again and tried to type out the whole speech. In the end, I only captured the highlights. HTH.
    “This vote is not about politics. It is not about democratic politics, or republican politics…
    This vote is not about an issue of politics. This vote is about an issue of fairness and equality, not political. It is the fairness of two people, who are of the right age, of sound mind, who choose to live together, share everything together, and want to have the same protection that the government granted those of us who have the privilege of marriage and treated it so cavalierly in our society.”
    “We in the government do not determine the quality or the validity of people’s relationships. If we did, we would not issue three quarters of the marriage license we do.”
    At 3:09, Senator Savino tells the story about her encounter with a stranger who stuck his head inside her car and asked her whether she was going to vote YES, and why. She reminding him that they could, as a matter of fact, go and get married at the city hall the next day, and nobody would question the quality of their relationship. Their commitment to the marriage.
    “Do you think we are ready for that kind of commitment?”
    The man saw her point.
    “Let me ask you something ladies and gentlemen, what are we really protecting?”
    “Turn on the television. We have a wedding channel on cable TV devoted to the behavior of people on their way to the altar. They spend billions of dollars, behave in the most appalling way, all in an effort to be princess for a day. You don’t have cable television? Put on network TV. We’re giving away husbands on a game show. You can watch The Bachelor, where thirty desperate women will compete to marry a 40-year-old man who has never been able to maintain a decent relationship in his life. We have The Bachelorette in reverse… That’s what we’ve done to marriage in America, where young women are socialized from the time they’re five years old to think of being nothing but a bride. They plan every day what they’ll wear, how they’ll look, the invitations, the whole bit, they don’t spend five minutes thinking about what it means to be a wife. People stand up there before god and man even in Senator Diaz’s church, they swear to love, honor and obey, they don’t mean a word of it. And so if there’s anything wrong, or any threat to the sanctity of marriage in America, it comes from those of us who have the privilege and the right, and we have abused it for decades.”
    “We have nothing to fear. We have nothing to fear from people who are committed to each other. who want to share their lives, and protect one another, in the event of sickness, illness or death.
    We have nothing to fear from love and commitment.”

14. absenceofalternatives.wordpress.com
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Actually, I just found a blogger who spent a lot of time and captured the whole speech:

15. sammylif
    Posted December 5, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

This just made me cry my eyes out.
    I was in DC for the Stupak lobbying day on Wednesday and when I heard gay marriage was voted down in my state on that same day, I felt the weirdest juxtaposition of feelings ever.
    I love New York SO MUCH, and I’ve grown up with this idea that New York is THE PLACE to be, the most liberal, most in-touch state. And since I’ve gone to college (in central new york, as opposed to my suburban home), I’ve been proven wrong over and over again. And it hurts, I want so bad to love NY, but this vote broke my heart.