Kate Moss, “Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels…”

What a sad state of affairs. Well, I disagree Kate! But then again, I don’t make millions off of being thin, so I guess starving does feel good for her, since she is paid to do it. Seriously, sad! Food is good and we need it to survive.
This makes me feel sad for Kate Moss, I mean, even though I know she is rich and famous and got to make out with Johnny Depp, but she is the product of a system that values thinness over her other attributes. And a pretty high value at that, since she is one of the top paid super models. It would be nice to think that maybe privately her self worth is not also based on what she looks like, but if her motto is, “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels,” one would think the opposite. I also can’t believe she is so detached from reality that she doesn’t realize that young women that are already plagued with eating disorders look up to her and has no sense of public responsibility. Young women don’t need to hear that eating less will make them skinny and therefore a super model. Bad. Bad!
As community blogger minerva put it,

Moss may or may not be intelligent, I neither know nor care. But at some level, she must realize that young women aspire to be like her. It saddens me that she truly believes that her motto is something to be emulated.

Food is good. These types of comments do have implications for young women since we are already inundated with the self hating culture of starvation to attain absurd levels of thinness instead of being taught to love ourselves. And then, often women are rewarded for their self hating behavior. It is an endless cycle that must stop and we need role models to help us.

1. Brittany
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I dunno, strawberry cheesecake tastes better than thin feels IMO.

2. Nicole
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

A part of me was happy that I just ate a slice of lemon meringue pie as I was reading this. Cause it was delicious, and I feel pretty damn good too. Imagine the audacity – I can feel good AND eat things that taste good!

3. gadgetgal
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Agreed – this left a bad taste in my mouth, especially after the comments Beth Ditto made a while back about how clued up on body image Kate Moss is supposed to be:
    I know she isn’t the brightest spark in the world, but there’s no excuse for being THAT daft!

4. Phenicks
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I would only hope that my daughter would have enough common sense not to “aspire” to be someone who is self destructive.
    I mean, what would that say about how she views me and other women in her lives that she would rather look up or aspire to be someone who thinks food is bad and places that much value on being thin?

5. Ellie
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

“Food is good”
    True, but great food is great. Also, good food is good…or how else one would like to put it.

6. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

you took her quote out of context. BUT I can see how her quote could be taken the wrong way by a lot of young females who wish they could look like her.

7. Melissa
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I don’t disagree.
    However, I’d venture to guess this is no more damaging than all the models who claim to love food and insist they must just have fast metabolisms. While it may be true for some of them, it certainly isn’t for most. Will pro-ana websites latch onto this? Of course. And that’s terrible. But at least quotes like this bring issues like anorexia out into the open.
    I feel like I’m wording this very poorly. But the point is…Kate Moss looks the way she does regardless of what she says about it. Those same websites will post pictures of her as “thinspiration” anyway. Young girls will starve themselves to look more like her anyway. If all this happened while she insisted that that’s just the way her body naturally looks…that would almost be MORE damaging. The eating disorders would be more secretive and thus less likely to be given notice or treatment.
    At least this way the girls can see that the vast majority of women CANNOT look like Kate Moss without starving themselves. (Or, at least…Kate Moss can’t look like Kate Moss without starving herself.) This is out in the open where the parents and teachers and mentors can see, and they can talk about it.
    The problem is not Kate Moss. The problem is the culture that told her and that tells all women that we must be skinny to be valuable. Her decision to be open about the fact that it doesn’t come naturally to her is more likely to help dismantle this culture than to contribute to it.

8. nikki#2
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

This is a catch phrase dieting programs have used for years. Its hardly new.

9. Steph
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

That’s an interesting point. On some level, her honesty about what it takes to be that skinny (for many, not all women) is better than if she lied about it or said it was natural.
    But do you think that means Moss is not/should not be accountable for her words, given her status as a popular image for girls? I feel like it’s still really important to call her out on that statement, even if what you are saying is true.
    Even though Kate Moss is not the problem per se, she represents – and buys into – the problem, so I think she needs to be held accountable.

10. Steph
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Is it really about common sense though? I wouldn’t say I lack common sense, despite my struggle to accept my own body. There are plenty of young women who, after hearing Moss say that, felt validated by her statement. Felt relief. Or maybe felt guilty for the lunch they just ate.
    Moss does not see her actions as self-destructive – and neither do the girls and women who look up to her. It’s about aspiring to be thin, even if it means starving yourself. The goal is thin, nothing is off limits. Sometimes its not actually about the weight, sure, but thinness becomes an obsession.

11. kahri
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Food is our nourishment, comfort, and strength.

12. katliz74
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I have always had a mantra similar to this – “Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.”
    I have a very sensitive system and eating anything fried or greasy makes me ill. I try to use this line to tame the hedonist in me who forgets that a tasty burger now means feeling like crap later.

13. GrowingViolet
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

*Sigh.* We’ve been through this before on Feministing, many times – could we please stop with the whole meme that slender models quoting old diet slogans are responsible for complex mental illnesses? Or, for that matter, that only the “skinny” eating disorders – anorexia and (many cases of) bulimia – exist, while equally misery-inducing binge and compulsive eating disorders and other bulimia cases don’t? I’m not saying Kate Moss is a role model – fur and drug habits rule that out pretty well – but this kind of treatment of eating disorders is really not helpful. Feminist response to cultural beauty and body image standards is worthwhile, but those of us with eating disorders – which are, I’m frustrated to have to repeat, mental illnesses with complex etiologies – are not helped by being made into illustrations of victimhood, passive false consciousness or brainwashing, implicit vanity, or outright stupidity, in service of an argument made with no reference whatever to the actual reality of eating disorders, and no evidence of an attempt to learn about them. The tacit evaluation that the psychological, social, and medical suffering of those with “non-skinny” eating disorders doesn’t matter or doesn’t exist is similarly unhelpful.
    There’s a lot of talk about thin privilege thrown around. Fair enough. So why isn’t mental health privilege even on the radar?
    (Disclaimer: Not that statements and images like those critiqued aren’t “aspirational” for ED sufferers, or harmful. But to construe them as the primary cause is like saying that hearing a car backfire is what causes post-combat PTSD.)

14. Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I’m eating a Chipotle burrito right now.

15. bzzxz
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Well, she’s obviously never eaten a pizza with barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce.
    It is the best thing.

16. W. Kiernan
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

You have to remember that nothing tastes good when your sino-nasal tract is full of cocaine.

17. Lisa_G
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Kate Moss is a great person

18. Terrils
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

But at some level, she must realize that young women aspire to be like her.
    That’s the problem of the young women and their unfortunate upbringing, not Kate Moss’s problem. She can’t control the world.

19. ebetty
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I’m sure I read somewhere that feministing is trying to take care of this but the cognitive dissonance of reading a blog entry like this and then seeing a sponsoring ad underneath that reads: “lose 15 pounds!! get thinner” with a side view picture of a 105 pound woman’s torso is a bit much.
    Really. It undermines your message just as much as when a popular magazine tells a women she is beautiful the way she is and then next page shove a glossy “Kate Moss for Yves Saint Laurant” print in her face.

20. smartbunny
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I always figured Moss was naturally skinny. I defend her a little when people blast her for being waif-like because, just as there are people who have trouble losing weight there are those who have trouble gaining. And besides, I remember hearing that “tastes as god as thin feels” thing back in the 70′s. She didn’t make it up.

21. strangedays
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I struggle with self-image issues and was having a decent couple weeks until this morning, for some reason. Then I read Moss’s comments on another website and it was a giant punch in the gut. I know it’s wrong, I know it’s wrong, I know it’s wrong…

22. anon
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Never mind the fact that any woman (young, middle aged or old) looking up to Kate Moss is going to have some screwed up values as it is.
    She is WELL KNOWN for her extensive drug use (I believe she has a nickname something like coke-kate), she has had very public destructive/ abusive relationship with a repeated drug offender (Pete Doherty), she’s a chain smoker, and as best as I can tell from gossip mags, her primary concern in life is being at the next big party.
    Frankly, I don’t even find this quote that shocking or upsetting. Anyone who thinks Kate Moss eats cheeseburgers is delusional. Anyone who thinks she eats 3 meals a day is fooling themselves. It’s pretty obvious from all areas of her life that she’s not exactly out to be healthy or a role model.
    I think Melissa nails it on the head exactly. The problem is that our culture puts women like Kate Moss on a pedastal and is scared of powerful intelligent women. In a perfect world, we wouldn’t care what women like Kate Moss say.

23. Kathleen6674
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

And I was just thinking of the giant cupcake I buy myself for breakfast every Monday morning! I have a weekly therapy appointment that day, and I always look forward to it. I certainly like eating those cupcakes more than I liked counting the calories for every single bite that went in my mouth.

24. strangedays
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

It isn’t always about “common sense,” as you put it. Eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia are just that–DISORDERS. While anorexic individuals can be seen as having an incredible amount of control over their bodies, they simultaneously have NO control. It is not so cut and dry.

25. Anony-mouse
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

In her defense, Kate Moss is British. Ever had British food?

26. bzzxz
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Nearly everything that comes out of the mouth of a famous person is pants-shittingly stupid, so I don’t know why we still pay any attention to them.

27. drpepr108
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I agree with GrowingViolet. It seems way too simple to blame skinny models for complex eating disorders. I also don’t appreciate the notion that size zero=unhealthy. I am a size zero, and I just happen to be petite. I eat a pretty healthy diet (b/c that’s honestly what tastes best and makes me feel good) and I love weightlifting. It’s just bad to assume that “If someone is fat/thin, then they must be unhealthy and they eat too much/too little.” It’s absurd. It’s just more complicated than that!

28. Trixen
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Word. I am sick of the advertisements.
    And by the way, I’ve heard Oprah say this ‘slogan’ a few times as well.

29. rhowan
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

When I was in my early teens fashion was dominated by glamazons like Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer and Anna Nicole Smith (before she got weird). I can remember it being such a relief when Kate Moss first hit it big. I was her height and her weight and all of a sudden the media was telling me that skinny small-breasted girls were pretty too.
    Too bad the media/fashion world/whoever had to do the typical thing and decide that only one physique is allowed to be in style at a time, because at the time Kate Moss was absolutely a positive role model for me, and her newfound popularity made me feel better about my appearance. Too bad for Kate too, since her comment makes it sound as if, like me, her metabolism no longer burns with the heat of a thousand suns. :P Difference is, I can enjoy my chocolate cheesecake without worrying about it affecting my employment prospects.

30. voluptuouspanic
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can’t say that enough. I am so frustrated with Feministing and feminists in general only focusing on the media and people like Kate Moss as the “causes” of eating disorders. Yes, the media is a contributing factor, but I didn’t spend six years of my life in hell because of Kate Moss.
    And thank you so much for your point about thin privilege.
    The reality of eating disorders is far more complicated than the media and body image.

31. Evrybdy44
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

I wish I felt sad for Kate. This attitude and motto obviously isn’t healthy for her and in turn her family and her fans.
    I have known a few people over the years who are just skinny. They can’t help it anymore than I can help that I am curvy. I’ve also known many many more girls who were anorexic. I’ve seen what they go through. It’s heart wrenching.
    We may not like it. It may not be “fair”. But what celebrities say carry weight. Cause and Effect. To say otherwise is simply naive.
    Whether this motto is new or recycles from the 70′s is irrelevant. It can be damaging to young women. And really, this is just one of many many instances where Kate Moss has thought about her actions or words and how they may effect people. And the culture of celebrity has time and time again let her know that is ok by the fact that she is still as famous as she has always been if not more so.

32. CaseyDancer
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

If people actually ate ONLY when they were hungry and ONLY natural foods, they would actually, mostly be as skinny as Kate Moss. (Look at tribal people as proof)
    Being “skinny” actually is natural. Being fat commonly comes from eating processed junk as comfort food.
    I’m thin. I eat well over 2000 calories a day and my only “workout” is yoga so my weight is my ideal and it is so naturally. I’m never hungry because everything I eat is natural, healthy and nurishing.
    For the record, *skinny* to me feels energentic, bouyant, healthy, satisfied – physically I feel good, almost all the time. Maybe that’s what Kate meant. Maybe it had nothing to do with how she feels about her LOOKS, but about how her body feels when she doesn’t overeat.
    Ever think about that???

33. Marj
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure how much I can agree with this point. Thinness for the sake of thinness isn’t something to be aspired to, and baring the reality in this way isn’t something that strikes me as any healthier than the issues themselves. As a society we focus way too much about how we ‘should’ look, leading to damaging messages for all points on the weight spectrum. Saying ‘well, yeah she’s thin but it’s unhealthy’ doesn’t address the underlying issue that thinness is over-focused on as an end unto itself.
    And dammit, I’m tired of feeling guilty for having something that other women struggle to come close to, when it’s barely healthy for me.

34. Sara Pulis
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 1:12 am | Permalink

This phrase has been on pro-ana sites for at least four years and in all likelihood got the quote from them. It’s usually somewhere in the top ten of so-called “thinspirational” quotes.

35. ActuallyIHateChocolate
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Its interesting to me that in the linked article, they stated the size of the woman quoted. Despite the fact that its a weight related article… it seems very out of place. As though her pant size would speak to or against her credibility, when in actuality, it should have no bearing whatsoever.

36. voluptuouspanic
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

“Tribal” people?
    And no, skinny isn’t the set weight for everyone. It’s a body type idealized by society that some people have naturally.

37. mandoir
    Posted November 21, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

That’s mostly because (at least, I was under the impression that the following is the case) this is an old Kate Moss quote that she re-iterated in a recent interview when asked if she had any “catch phrases.”

38. rebekah
    Posted November 22, 2009 at 3:17 am | Permalink

and I’d like to add that others never will. Even at the weight which my doctor says is my “ideal” according the BMI scale (which she doesn’t believe in but has to list in my medical records by law) I am not a size 2 or even a 4. My weight is healthy and I exercise to keep it like that, not because I have an obsession with being thin, just healthy, and I am still a size six, mostly because my hips are just naturally larger than a size two. These kinds of comments really hurt people like me, because even at an unhealthily skinny weight we can never fit into a size two, its just not going to happen.

39. Jassy
    Posted November 22, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Okay, I get what Kate Moss and other celebs say is not okay but it is not the only reason that girls in this country have ED’s, and the whole reason is not barbie or pop culture ether (if it was it would be a lot simpler). How do I know, unfortunately from experience. Pop culture might be an influence in girls ED’s but it’s not the sole cause of any ED (in fact, it’s a whole combo of issues). And I don’t think Pro-Ana/Mia sites are totally to blame ether, they are the only place of support for some girls (sadly, this stems from a lot of girls who have ED’s coming from dysfunctional family’s, they aren’t all pretty rich white girls!). Also a lot of girl who do have ED’s feel very ashamed, they are NOT proud of it! But I will say that if they (pro-Ana/Mia sites) did not exist, it would be a lot easier for girls to recover from ED’s. Oh, and I also think that Kate Moss is a big idiot (that’s why I do not care about whatever she says), she should also stop doing coke.

40. Wonderwall
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Hmm….So clicking on that link to the Telegraph, its bashing Kate Moss…but right there next to the article I see Shakira, Fergie, a model on a calendar, and Heidi Klum in a Victoria’s Secret outfit…… Hypocrisy much, society?

41. opinionated
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

No, it’s nat natural for most women, that is exactly why someone like Ket Moss uses that phrase, a phrase that is a sign of an eating disorder. She also went on the Coke diet, not the healthiest women that is for sure.
    In fact, she’s a mess.
    Not naturally like that, conditioned to that and making a living off of that, but, healthy- hell no and naturally-
    well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by natural.
    To be that thin, most would have to eat less than 1200 calories per day and exercise excessively.
    Look outside of your body, your family and your culture and notice that women com in all different body types. If hers was the norm, the “diet” industry would not be a billion dollar industry.
    You don’t get to blame it on healthy eating either-
    take a good look at the food activists and hippies in our culture and you’ll see what women who don’t diet and don’t eat garbage look like naturally.