Lou Dobbs resigns from CNN

As of yesterday, Lou Dobbs no longer has a spot on the CNN airwaves.

This is a big win for the activists who have been rallying to get him off the air for a while now:

Over the years, Lou Dobbs has consistently used his CNN platform to spread hatred and fear. He played a critical role in skewing the immigration reform debate in 2006, leading to the derailment of that effort, and his obsession with the issue of immigration and with defeating immigration reform continues unabated. Adding to his repertoire of hate and fearmongering, he has recently aligned himself with the “birther” conspiracists and their racially tinged attack on the legitimacy of Barack Obama’s presidency. From his CNN platform, he has bolstered the claims of those on the fringe by asserting repeatedly that President Obama has failed to produce adequate proof that he was born in the United States. His recent focus on the birth certificate conspiracy issue has reinforced what immigration reform proponents have long known — that Dobbs has a long history of the worst kind of pandering by promoting hate and ethnic and racial division.

Later Lou!

1. pinko
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I give it three days before he signs with FOX. anyone wanna wager?

2. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

sadly, it’s not over. I bet he’s moving to FOX…

3. Comrade Kevin
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I concur with what has already been said.

4. Lilith Luffles
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

“I’ve got chills down my spine! I’m cold! I need a god damned blanket!”
    This is in reference to Dobbs talking about some school praying to God and thinking it was ti Obama. Sometimes Keith Olbermann is really, really funny.

5. bukowski's back
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

This comment has been deleted because it violates our comment policy.

6. aleks
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

CNN realized it was never going to win the angry white demographic away from FOX.

7. electrictoaster
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Wow, what the hell? He never mentioned anything of the sort in his statement, so what, do you expect that everyone on Feministing to be intently following the personal lives of American celebrities? A lot of us aren’t even American, so STFU.

8. Brittanicus
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

This comment has been deleted because it violates our comment policy.

9. bukowski's back
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

The people of Feministing are pretty aware of news events; I’m sure they might have heard that Dobbs’ home got shot up.

10. Brittanicus
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

This comment has been deleted because it violates our comment policy.

11. Jen
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Good to know, but did you really have to couch this explanation in rageaholic misogyny?
    Sometimes the facts speak for themselves is all I’m sayin’.

12. bifemmefatale
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Why is this comment still up and why is the report abuse button on it disabled? I mean, wtf?

13. aleks
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

If John King , a previous White House journalist is taking over from Lou, he better not muffle free-speech on the illegal immigration invasion. I will watch just one program, to see if King hasn’t been brain-washed by the Democratic “Fair Doctrine” secret law or the ability to speak out on everything. Then we have this “politically correct” asinine garbage, stopping people from speaking their mind.
    I read just one paragraph . . .

14. bifemmefatale
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t know a single American who *wants* the jobs I see illegals working. You want to do landscaping, hot tar roofing, slaughter chickens, spray pesticides without a mask, bus tables? they work the jobs no lazy Americans like us want to do, and they often do it for less than minimum wages.

15. Gopher
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 1:02 am | Permalink

troll. And a really offensive one

16. Gopher
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 1:06 am | Permalink

LOL!!Ditto. The angry ranters really came out for this post.

17. Gopher
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 1:13 am | Permalink

When I worked at El Centro in Denver (it helps illegal workers) many told stories of abuse by those that hired them. I’m not for illegal immigration but Americans need to know that some of the reasons they come here is crappy stuff we do to them over there. For ex. corporations that ruin their homes and induce them to seek work here. Its like a rock and a hard place. The women especially have it hard. Many are raped by their coyotes or trafficked into sexual slavery. What was even sicker was when conservative anti-illegal immigration groups (I forgot the name of them but they tried to go state by state as some form of protest) would stand outside and yell racist slurs at the Mexicans who were there. Its clear these people were driven by racism and not a lucid solution.

18. Gopher
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Happy Dobbs is dud!

19. Unequivocal
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 1:21 am | Permalink

What? Broken posting protocols? On Feministing?!
    Inconceivable!
    Seriously. I love the site (because of the awesome content and the awesome community), but I’m really starting to wonder about the abysmal lack of functionality, and the perpetual lack of response from the editors when it is brought to their attention.

20. Unequivocal
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 1:29 am | Permalink

Thank god you posted this twice.

21. Masa
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 1:31 am | Permalink

What is the “cloaked agenda of the open border zealots”? I don’t consider myself a zealot, though I am in favor of open borders…
    When I was in first grade, I had to sing the national anthem in my class while facing the flag. Even though I was only six, I asked the teacher in front of the rest of the class why we only sang our national anthem and only flew our flag and not other flags. The teacher told me that we sing the Japanese national anthem in front of the Japanese flag because we were in Japan. It still didn’t sit well with me because I felt that we weren’t better than any other country and I wasn’t completely part of the “we” since I was multi-ethnic.
    When I heard that we (my parents and I) were moving to the USA, I was really excited because I had this idealistic perception of what America was and the values that it had. I had heard that in America, you can be who you want to be and it’s okay. It was the first grade translation for “freedom”.
    I think it’s interesting that the word “freedom” gets tossed around a lot as a shibboleth today but no one seems to know what freedom looks like. It’s a vague concept that is used to identify as a “real American” but often doesn’t have much substance behind it. As a first grader though, I might not have used the word “freedom”, but I had a concrete vision of what America would be – a place where people felt comfortable (“free” perhaps?) to be themselves and be accepted and included by others. I’d have to say that if I were to reinvigorate the word “freedom” with meaning, freedom would be acceptance, inclusion, compassion, and understanding between individuals so that none of us feel confined or limited by our identities. I think it’s because I still have this meaning that I attach to “freedom” that I want to work to make America a place that lives up to that ideal that is contained within the word that so many give voice to.

22. Gopher
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 3:45 am | Permalink

what i’m confused about is who voted 4 positive votes? The trolls are always lurking. Gross

23. Cactus Wren
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Poe?

24. bifemmefatale
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I agree. There is serious Mod Fail going on sitewide. They either need to step it up or give up and shut down, because this site is not doing what they say they want to do. Between the trans fail and the disability fail recently, I’m about ready to join this boycott. It is not responsible to purport to run a feminist site and then let the trolls run wild, plus the mods need to bone up on intersectionalities something fierce.

25. bifemmefatale
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Argh, html fail, lemme try again.

26. spike the cat
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Well to be fair, some Americans would work the jobs for better pay and conditions. They did in the past for example when wages were higher. It’s not that people are simply lazy.
    For example, when they raided some chicken processing plants in one state the company faced without workers was then required to raise the salaries to attract help. And guess what? Locals applied for the jobs. And the company was forced to improve safety standards. (I don’t agree with raiding plants, for the record).
    But the real culprit is the American consumer who demands $1 dollar hamburgers, practically free baby sitting, $10 dollar blow jobs (yeah, I’m gonna go there, cause this is the same shit at work) and big bloated houses that they couldn’t even afford to clean and maintain themselves…

27. bifemmefatale
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 9:53 am | Permalink

I love this comment. Extra points for using the word “shibboleth”.

28. clareNY
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 10:17 am | Permalink

That was my first thought too.

29. cattrack2
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 10:25 am | Permalink

you’re obviously a troll, and a misogynistic a-hole one at that…go back to your bridge & leave us da fuk alone.

30. aleks
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 10:42 am | Permalink

That is almost literally the magic word.

31. aleks
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Poor Americans would be pretty SOL without cheap food and babysitting.

32. cattrack2
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 10:44 am | Permalink

I think its unfair to criticize the staff here. The site is provided free of charge, as a service. Its one of the best places on the internets to intelligently discuss these vital issues.
    While this particular troll is particularly awful, unless we’re willing to pay for the costs for a FT mod, and willing to accept the chill in speech censors create then I think we have to accept the fact that there are assholes out there. Sometimes we just have to point them out & move on. The comments section of most MSM news sites can be vile, but we can’t take them seriously. There are sites out there that mod every single comment & they’re trite, insular, inane, and unserious. I used to follow Racialicious until I realized it said nothing of importance. I’m actually more worried more about a self imposed straitjacket of political correctness here more than I am of the occassional a-hole who pops from under his bridge…My kudos to the staff for doing a hard–and thankless–job.

33. aleks
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Given that only Bukowski’s comments lack “Report Abuse” options I assume that means they’ve already been used.

34. aleks
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Immigration is the hottest front of the Culture War. Especially now that we have a president born in Kenya or Indonesia or under the brightest star in Bethlehem or something.

35. bifemmefatale
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Sorry, most of the feminist sites I know are modded by unpaid staff and they do a better job. Plus, they’re just added on quite a few more contributors. Heck, *I* mod 2 communities myself. It is precisely good moderation that makes a site a worthwhile place for discussion rather than a cesspool like the comments section of the Chicago Tribune or the New Orleans Times-Picayune. It is upholding feminist values that makes a site a feminist site instead of just a news aggregator.

36. Unequivocal
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Also, right now we aren’t just talking about bad moderation; we’re talking about bad site design and coding.
    I don’t know who Matthew Cordell (the designer and coder for feministing) is, but if I ever need freelance site design, now I know who not to call.
    In short, while I agree that when trolls pop up we should “point them out & move on,” it’s hard to do that when the tool designed to allow us to point them out is broken.

37. Unequivocal
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Pretty sure not. I’ve used the “report abuse” button before and it didn’t disappear afterward.

38. spike the cat
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Cheap and affordable aren’t the same.

39. Miriam
    Posted November 13, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Sorry for the moderation problems folks, cleaning up this thread now.
    More front page posts are going approval-only for this exact reason.
    Looking into the issue with the report abuse link.
    Thanks for your patience.