Didn’t Ya Know- Choice Kills!

This is just, wow. I have no words. Ok, that’s a lie. I have one word: Bullsh*t. Make that two words: Hilarious bullsh*t.

This website aims to “expose choice as the killer it is”.

How, you ask?

Why, by selling T-shirts and bumper stickers with pictures of babies being stabbed by machetes, of course!

But don’t worry, that’s not the only technique this campaign is using to convince the world of how wrong it is to give women autonomy over their own bodies. They’ve also created a mascot- That’s right folks. Meet Judy, the talking embryo. All she wants is to “get out of here alive.” Unfortunately, a machete (the abortionist’s tool of choice, don’t ya know) enters and puts an end to that dream. The fate of the woman whose cartoon stomach has apparently just been stabbed with a machete is left unclear.

There are a billion things wrong with this picture- the absence of recognition of a woman’s personhood being one of them- but the most egregious in my mind is the cheesiness. I mean, as Chloe points out, can we at least have a little creativity? Some alliteration or something? Can I get an Emilia the Embryo?

Additionally, the “testimonies” from the models are hilariously fake, as evidenced by the tiny disclaimer after the fake comments and pics:

“*typical comments from typical young women but not necessarily these models”

Vomit. Next time you’re going to launch a campaign against women’s autonomy, maybe you should consult some real women first.

Big ups to Audacia Ray for the link.

1. kay.bax
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I like the irony of saying “We live in a sound-byte world where serious discussion of important issues is largely ignored.”
    … when you are a website called “Choice Kills”.

2. Melissa
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:31 am | Permalink

They could at least have hired someone with some decent writing skills for this site. Or maybe a real graphic designer. They just make it way too easy to mock. (Which also, incidentally, makes it more terrifying.)
    My favorite is: “I thought it was safe to have sex because if I got pregnant I’d have a choice. Well, it’s a trap because you won’t like either of the choices.”

3. kahri
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Thanks for posting this.
    One thing I’ve been wondering lately: Are anti-choice men unable or unwilling to imagine themselves as a woman, embodied as female, and particularly embodied as a pregnant woman? Because some of them seem very well able to imagine themselves as fetal occupants of a woman’s body…
    And that’s interesting to me. Because I think I spend a lot time imagining myself as male, whether or not I intend it. When I watch many movies and TV shows with a male protagonist, I empathize with and imagine myself as that particular male… That’s just one example. I guess I’m just thinking about how women & girls are socialized to identify with and empathize with men & boys in a way that is not reciprocally taught to the men & boys.
    Of course I know that men aren’t the only anti-choicers out there. But sometimes I wonder if the anti-choice men imagine that they’re fighting for their own, personal fetal life back when they were in utero. And maybe that’s all they can see. They cannot successfully imagine themselves as female, pregnant, and needing or wanting an abortion.

4. Violet
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Argh, the grammar, “1 out of 4 of us don’t make it out of here alive”
    DOESN’T make it out.
    Jeez.

5. leah
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:25 am | Permalink

It almost makes me think it is a argument ad absurdum. But, then, knowing some off-the-wall anti-choicers, well, almost.

6. Alexis
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:28 am | Permalink

“It’s just an excuse to kill a baby.”
    Oh good lord, I’m gonna use that machete on someone, and it’s not going to be a woman’s uterus. This is totally disgusting and simplistic. AND hypocritical, for that matter.

7. Stephie
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I would have thought that worrying about their grammar was the least of their worries, y’know, in between saving foetuses from machete-wielding abortion doctors.
    I know the last time I saw an abortion doctor about to use a machete, the last thing I was thinking about was was my grammar.
    Like all pro-choicers, I was thinking about my hair appointment I had scheduled for later that day. Natch.

8. Dave Paul
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:35 am | Permalink
  9. Dave Paul
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Btw, I don’t know about you. But I try to get pregnant just so I can kill babies.

10. BeBe
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:37 am | Permalink

In Victorian slang, a “Judy” was a prostitute. But it’s probably giving these folks far too much credit to think that they chose the name for this reason.

11. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Are you guys sure this isn’t a parody?

12. Lilith Luffles
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Don’t these people know that NOT having a choice kills women? But I doubt they’d care, usually the only life these people fight for is the life of a fetus and then you’re on your own.

13. Alessa
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Personally I find the website completely hilarious. You just know it’s a tiny group of people who scraped up enough money to get some art student to do their layouts at a steep discount, while all of them are patting each other on the back and going on about how they are doing “god’s work”.
    What a joke! Do they not realize how completely ridiculous this makes them look? How cheap and amateurish?
    Points for trying guys, really. Effort is what matters in the end, riiiight?

14. MiriamCT1
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:49 am | Permalink

this is an awesome comment!!

15. EndersGames
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Ooooooh… this looks fun.
    Prolife Webcomic ideas:
    The Unfolding Adventures of Betty the Blastocyst!
    The Life and Horrific Death of Frannie the Fantastic Fetus!
    Zippy the Zygote Zaps the Fanatical Feminists!
    Zippy the Zygote Shows Her Cleavage! (that will make sense to biologists :-) .
    Olivia the Ovule Wants your Hugs!
    Tina Trophablast Blasts the Feminazis Away!

16. Melissa
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Well, it’s easier to believe that it’s a parody than that someone would put something this idiotic on the internet and expect it to be taken seriously. So…yeah. Maybe. I hope so.

17. crushdmb.myopenid.com
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Are you SURE this isn’t a POE? ( http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Poe's_Law ) because… Wow. It has to be, right?

18. Katjusha
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

How interesting that Judy the talking embryo (is she responsible for the foetal poetry that doesn the email rounds once in a while too?) is floating in space, quite detached from the woman’s body. In fact, the woman is nowhere in sight. Which is quite indicative of pro-life thinking. Once you’re pregnant, you disappear as an independent and autonomous human being.

19. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

There’s one that already exists.

20. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

they also can’t stand the thought of women and girls having sex and then getting pregnant by accident (unless they were raped or whatever), etc.
    anti-choice males have always creeped me out.

21. Katjusha
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

How interesting that Judy the talking embryo (is she responsible for the foetal poetry that does the email rounds once in a while too?) is floating in space, quite detached from the woman’s body. In fact, the woman is nowhere in sight. Which is quite indicative of pro-life thinking. Once you’re pregnant, you disappear as an independent and autonomous human being.

22. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:10 am | Permalink

One already exists:

23. newfeminist
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Did you see the description of their logo? “It’s as powerful an image as Jesus Christ on the cross.”
    Jesus Fetus – stabbed by a machete for your sins.

24. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:13 am | Permalink

One already exists:
    It’s basically babies with clothig and computers inside of “bubbles” supposed to be “wombs” and the mother/parents are never shown. Creepy.

25. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:14 am | Permalink

One already exists:

26. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:14 am | Permalink

One already exists:

27. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:17 am | Permalink

One already exists:

28. PenningtonBeast
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Sorry that posted a million times.

29. crushdmb.myopenid.com
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink

This is why I’m thinking Poe, to be honest. And the inability to use proper grammar.
    I mean…it’s just so outrageous.

30. MarySophia
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:24 am | Permalink

OK, one thing that makes me think this might indeed be satire (other than that I think everything is satire) is how callous it is if they really believe that abortion is murder. If I were making a website against pedophilia, I wouldn’t do it with creepy cartoon man after a cute cartoon child cutely screaming “Save me!” Just typing that makes me feel kind of creepy.
    Though it seems you can actually buy the shirts, so maybe it is for real.

31. Maggie
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:24 am | Permalink

“It’s just an excuse to kill a baby.”
    Because lord knows that’s all I’ve been looking for my entire life – an excuse to kill a baby.

32. kay.bax
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I’m doing a persuasive speech about stopping funding to crisis pregnancy centers and the conclusion is required to have a “call to action” for the audience.
    I have been sorely tempted to make my call to action something along the lines of, “What can you do about this issue? It’s simple. Get an abortion or two to make up for those people who won’t be getting one at CPCs.”

33. crushdmb.myopenid.com
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I’m thinking the shirts make it even more of a chance of being satire.

34. MLEmac28
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I think they need a better idea of what an embryo looks like. Judy is a fetus. The majority of abortions are during the embryo stage (as I’m sure most of you already knew).
    Also, I kind of wonder if it would be possible to change the machete for a coat hanger…..

35. Ravencomeslaughing
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:42 am | Permalink

*rolls eyes* wow, that’s a really pathetic website.
    Although I just gotta get my nitpick in as well. That’s not a machete. this is a machete.
    The thing in their logo is a Bowie knife, and specifically looks like a brand called K-Bar. I’m sure that was on purpose, as these are not utility or hunting knives, they’re billed as fighting or self-defense knives.

36. MarySophia
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:50 am | Permalink

It also says at the bottom that the profits go to pro life organizations. I’m not sure of the legalities, but I wouldn’t think you could say that without it being true.

37. Sex Toy James
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:52 am | Permalink

What? Who are these guys who can imagine themselves as a fetus?
    I’ve never given much thought to what it’s like to be a pregnant woman. I don’t see that the being pregnant is the traumatic part. I can envision not being able to go to school because I’d have to work to support a kid, and being stuck in an endless cycle of poverty, working retail, and having my hopes and dreams slowly die.
    I wonder how many abortions could be prevented if the abortion abolitionists put their money into safe sex and getting kids not to get knocked up instead. Maybe they could just combine their efforts: “Abortion is a terrible choice to have to make, use a condom.”

38. bzzxz
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:57 am | Permalink

A machete? Pfft.
    The real pros use chainsaws.

39. Rosathrine
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I think maybe less of this insanity would be accepted if logic courses were required in high school. Because this statement “The danger of Choice is that by accepting it as legitimate, you have already accepted killing your baby” just doesn’t work.

40. kahri
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

You think the physical reality of being pregnant and not wanting to be is so easy to separate from its economic significance? Maybe it is for some women. It wasn’t for me.

41. augusta.marian
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Sadly, I find it very easy to believe “someone would put something this idiotic on the internet and expect it to be taken seriously.” *shakes head*

42. b
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

i really really like how the “What’s men’s role in this?” section is the same font and color as the Home Depo logo…

43. i_muse
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Anti-Choice KIlls
    and underneath, a woman bleeding out, hanger next to her, toddler screaming in the background.
    Anti-Choice Kills
    and underneath, actual pictures of the casualties from the domestic terrorists bombings of clinics.
    Twisted “Christian” clutching cross in one hand and detonator in the other, in the background.
    Anti-Choice Kills
    and underneath a woman on her way to a clinic, ready to fight anyone in her way. In the background, a bomb at the door of the clinic.

44. aliciamaud74
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Aw, man I really wish I hadn’t looked at that. I’m home sick with a fever and about to take a nap, and I can already tell my dreams are going to echo with the creepy non-sequitor “Welcome to my womb-site.”
    Shiver.

45. i_muse
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Evidence that “Christians” at least the Born Again, Fundamentalists and certainly the fanatic, domestic terrorist types, do not see women and humans with a right to their own life. The fetus has rights first, it could be a male ! It could be deh baby Jesus come again to burn this shit down.
    They are fucking idiots.

46. ShareseL
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

I laughed (this is ridiculous) and I cried (wow, these people really don’t even consider the fact that women are the ones making these decisions- real live women with feelings and health- mental and physical- to think about).

47. Stephie
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

After much thought I’ve come to the conclusion that this may be the work of Chris Morris.
    Correction.
    I hope this is work of Chris Morris.

48. raq
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Erm… isn’t that statistic in reference to the miscarriage rate, not the abortion rate? Because, hey, guess what? With or without choice, one in four zygotes won’t make it out alive … *gasp* … prepare to be horrified!

49. rustyspoons
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

anti-choice males have always creeped me out
    Anti-choice anybody creeps me out!
    Sounds like the same-old same-old of anti-choice propaganda–anthropomorphizing fetuses(in high school the born again kids used to hand out these xeroxed “fetus diaries” that invariably ended with “today my mother killed me”), the pregnant woman as a nameless faceless entity—really the only new thing they’re bringing to the table is machetes.

50. Sloppy Sandwich
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw.