Bad-Ass Woman: Actress Gabby Sidibe

I love this quote, from Precious star Gabourey Sidibe:

“They try to paint the picture that I was this downtrodden, ugly girl who was unpopular in school and in life, and then I got this role and now I’m awesome,” says the actress. “But the truth is that I’ve been awesome, and then I got this role.”

And this one, too:

“I learned to love myself, because I sleep with myself every night and I wake up with myself every morning, and if I don’t like myself, there’s no reason to even live the life. I love the way I look. I’m fine with it. And if my body changes, I’ll be fine with that.”

Beautiful words from a beautiful woman.

1. MarySophia
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

“The truth is that I’ve been awesome . . .”. I love it. It seems so rare to find a young woman who’s willing to talk about her ego in a positive way.

2. era4allNOW
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to see this movie, and this is just one more reason to add to my list! Oct 16 at the Chicago International Film Festival…here I come!!
    So. Excited.

3. era4allNOW
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

So. Excited.

4. lucierohan
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

“They try to paint the picture that I was this downtrodden, ugly girl who was unpopular in school and in life, and then I got this role and now I’m awesome.”
    I see this forced tale of woe coming out of the mouths of so many actresses who don’t fit the conventional leading lady model. I’m so glad to see Sidibe calling out the people who tried to paint her as a helpless victim who was saved my stardom.
    Go her!

5. clareNY
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

awesome!

6. Comrade Kevin
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I hope we all get there.

7. bethrjacobs