Operation Rescue may have seen its last days

NPR and the Associated Press are reporting that Operation Rescue may be completely out of funds and in danger of closing.
Don’t remember Operation Rescue? They are the scary anti-choice organization, who’ve been linked to a number of violent anti-choicers, including the man who killed Dr. Tiller. From NPR:

Roeder, who is charged with shooting Tiller during a Sunday morning church service, had the name and number of an Operation Rescue adviser in his car.

Operation Rescue also has had the gall to offer to buy Dr. Tiller’s clinic after it was closed. Obviously that isn’t going to happen with their current financial situation.
Randall Terry, the founder of the organization, also is responsible for a few scary and violence provoking stunts, including the “Defeat Sotomayor Tour.”
The current head of the organization, Troy Newman, who told the AP he hasn’t been paid in two months, was at the Tea Party Protests this weekend in DC, according to the organization’s website.
While admitting that donations are down 30-40%, Newman didn’t offer reasons as to why the organization has lost support. I would hope that links to something as horrific as the murder of Dr. Tiller would encourage those who are pro-life but do not support violence to take their dollars elsewhere. The group also lost their non-profit status in 2004, which may be impacting their fundraising.

1. allieb87
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Thank you Miriam.
    I really needed some good news today. Operation Rescue is a scary, scary organization. I didn’t realize they’d already lost their non-profit status.

2. MiriamCT1
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 10:08 am | Permalink

cry me a river

3. Jen R
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I’m glad to see OR as an organization go, but I do wonder what will happen with some of the more radical organizers and members, especially the ones who support violence. This might just make it harder to keep an eye on them.

4. Icewyche
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Is it too soon to do the happy dance?

5. llevinso
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

*crosses fingers*

6. kirbie
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 11:49 am | Permalink

sounds pretty good to me

7. Jos
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Ha ha! /Nelson

8. kirbie
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 11:55 am | Permalink

sounds pretty good to me

9. Ori
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Good riddance! Maybe now abortion providers can have a little peace and quiet!

10. hardlycore
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

This is awesome. I wish I had an air conditioner that ran on schadenfreude.

11. rustyspoons
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Nelson laugh for them. I heard about this on another site and was pretty happy about it.

12. allieb87
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

From Lynn Harris on Broadsheet:
    Troy Newman’s e-mail contains an ominous threat — not reported elsewhere, oddly — that’s either empty saber-rattling or scary, perhaps depending on how much, and how soon, a big fat check comes from the Bank of Wingnut. From the e-mail: “…Because, in the next 30 days, we’re planning to launch the most ambitious and most significant project in our entire history. It’s something that’s going to devastate the abortion cartel. It could even help end abortion in America once and for all. Basically, it centers around our unique ability to close abortion mills. And although I can’t go into detail about it — because we need to take the abortion cartel by surprise — I can tell you that it will be a totally NEW phase in the pro-life fight. We’ve been working on it all summer. And we were planning to launch it in the next 30 days. However, now that we’re completely out of money, I’m afraid we won’t even be able to launch it… ever!” We’ll see.

13. pepper
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

We were going to finally end the plague but you fuckers won’t bankroll the crazy. Now you will have the blood of babies on your hands unless you mail us a check to 666 Douche Nugget Lane LiarPants, USA.

14. Siby
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Trow Newman is full of crap, I doubt that his threat is serious. They’re always making shit up.
    Still, that’s kind of scary. I hope that they get shut down before they get another abortion provider shot.

15. Siby
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Oh, and by the way, the same OR adviser that had contact with Scott Roeder (Cheryl Sullenger) spent two years in jail for plotting to bomb an abortion clinic, along with her husband. Peaceful, my ass!

16. Monica Shores
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Could there be a Feministing resolution that all of you lovely contributors refrain from giving anti-choicers the power of positive naming by identifying them as “pro-life?” I thought most of us were beyond awarding them that disingenuous label given that it necessarily casts us as anti-life…..

17. allieb87
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

You don’t believe that they have a Super Top Secret Plan that they can’t tell anyone about because it’s so amazing and brilliant?

18. Toni
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I used to live in Wichita and my mom recalled that during a protest they had children lay in the part of the parking lot that connects it to the street. Very scary.

19. llevinso
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

“666 Douche Nugget Lane LiarPants, USA”
    Hahaha! That is the best address ever!

20. pepper
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

What breathtaking logic. According to antis:
    Pro-choicers want to kill children
    Antis love children
    Antis use their children as roadblocks to stop the people who supposedly want to kill children
    Therefore antis want the pro choicers to kill their children

21. Gopher
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

YAY!!!!
    ((P R Y
    A T!!))
    ((A T
    P R Y!!)) :) :0 :)
    FUCK YOU OPERATION RESCUE!!!!

22. Gopher
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Its NEVER too soon to do the happy dance!

23. jeana
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I call them “pro-birth” or say “so-called ‘pro-life’” or ‘ironically named ‘pro-life’”. Never “pro-life” by itself (unless I’m talking to one of them).

24. Icewyche
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Yay! *commences happy dance*

25. Icewyche
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Well, you have to remember that the antis (or forced-birthers, as I usually call them) are only interested in children before they’re born. After they leave the womb, they’re expendable.

26. Tara K.
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!
    This is cause for a glass of wine.
    This may also be one of the best things to come from the recession.

27. Siby
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I think this may be too good to be true. OR has claimed that they are suddenly financially stable now. I don’t really know how they can suddenly go from being as desperate as Newman sounded in his email, to being just fine and dandy in a time period of two weeks. Like I said earlier, they’re SO FULL OF SHIT.
    I’ll continue to pray for their shutdown though!

28. allieb87
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Can you link where they’re claiming financial stability please? I can’t seem to find that…

29. Siby
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I should’ve done that earlier. It’s on their twitter account.
    “Operation Rescue is doing well & pressing forward thx 2 our faithful supporters.”

30. Lily A
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Forced-birthers!
    Or anti-choice, or anti-women’s rights, or anti-women’s health…

31. Ian
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Calling them “Pro birth” isn’t right. I’ve heard it before to describe people who want mothers to be more in control of their birth. Those people can also be pro choice. Plus, pro birth is also a nice title. So anti choice is the best word for them.

32. aleks
    Posted September 16, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Another victim of the Second Bush Recession. If this had happened a few years ago they could have gotten a Washington bailout.

33. jeana
    Posted September 17, 2009 at 12:18 am | Permalink

You’re right. I was trying to be nice.

34. jstein
    Posted September 17, 2009 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Although the sentiment has been pretty readily expressed in the comments already, I don’t think it can be said clearly enough: Good riddance.
    This is an organization that openly advocated for violence against doctors who performed abortions (and was connected to the first shooting of Doctor Tiller, as well as his murder; not to mention many other instances of unforgivable violence in the name of sexual puritanism and religious ideological bullcrap).
    I certainly hope that the organizations loss of support is an indication of a deeper ideological change, but I’m not going to get my hopes up on this one. I think it has more to do with a very poorly run organization that has frightened donors away with its batsh*t craziness.