Miriam Grossman is teaching my child what?!, Part 1

Oh dear. Miriam Grossman – of Unprotected fame (the book that tells young women having sex will make them diseased drop outs) – has a yet another book out: You’re Teaching My Child What?: A Physician Exposes the Lies of Sex Ed and How They Harm Your Child
I found out about Grossman’s latest through this column at Townhall that – in the great tradition of unhinged moral panic – suggests that comprehensive sex education wants “to strip our little girls of their natural inclination toward modesty and replace it with an attitude of sexual dominance.” Who, me? *bats eyelashes*
Columnist Rebecca Hagelin says that our daughters are “under siege” by those who would teach them about sex and suggest that there is more to life than marriage and babies. You know – feminists.

Make no mistake: this attack on our daughters is also an attack on the nuclear family unit itself. It is an insidiously evil brand of radical feminism that now pervades education and entertainment. If you can warp an entire generation of women into believing that sex is merely a tool to be used for advancement, then you destroy all notions of fidelity, and commitment for both genders. By default, our sons adopt the view that they do not need to be loyal or true in marriage either.
…We are at a crossroads in our nation and the pawn being used by those who seek to check-mate the family – the sacred and basic building block of all civil societies – is a little girl. She will be used and abused and then cast aside as the next little girls are born and brainwashed with ever increasing dangerous messages.
There are steps you must take now to protect and equip your daughter with her own moral authority over those who would abuse her femininity.

What crazy ass sex ed classes has Hagelin been sitting in on?! It’s amazing to me how these folks take something as simple as telling the truth about sex and contraception and turn it into a femininity-abusing (what that means) evil indoctrination hell bent on destroying families.
But that’s exactly what folks like Grossman would like American parents to think. Let’s take a look at what Grossman’s past work has asserted so that we can all freak about about….
What Miriam Grossman wants to teach your child!!!:
When girls have sex, it is often at bars or because they’re drunk. Also, they’re depressed.
The more you have sex, the sadder you become: “As the number of casual sex partners in the past year increased, so did signs of depression in college women.” (Cough, bullshit, cough)
Even fictional characters can get herpes: “It’s easy to forget, but the characters on Grey’s Anatomy and Sex in the City are not real. In real life, Meredith and Carrie would have warts or herpes. They’d likely be on Prozac or Zoloft.”
After a one-night-stand, girls are swooning, and guys don’t give a shit: “You might think of him all day, but he can’t remember your name.”
You can say really creepy things about sex, so long as its written in cursive.
Stay tuned for Part 2 when I take you inside Grossman’s new anti-sex screed. (But through the front, cause the back is just an exit.)

1. alixana
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 8:24 am | Permalink

I wonder how little boys feel about being told that little girls are the basic building block of all civil societies. And isn’t it usually us feminists who get accused of trying to elevate ourselves over men?

2. corby
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Funny she should mention “natural inclination towards modesty” in little girls.
    A few nights ago, at my mother’s house, we were watching some home videos from my childhood. My family owned a piece of forest land next to a river in the middle of nowhere. My sister and I (roughly 6 or 7 each) went down to the river, out of sight, and before anybody knew it, we tossed our cumbersome clothes to the side and came streaking out of the forest.
    Strangely enough, my younger sister (4-6 years old) turned out to be quite the nudist. In many of the videos, she would randomly rip off her clothes before anybody could stop her, and run by in the nude. We popped another video in, and as my dad filmed some relatives covering their faces in the living room, here I come streaking around the corner with my male cousin of a similar young age, happy (and natural) as we could be.
    For some reason, though, we didn’t act ashamed or even mention sex, even though any good conservative knows that nudity always equals sex, despite the fact that most kids know nothing of lust or procreation.
    I wonder if little girls come into being with a “natural inclination towards modesty”, though I’m hard pressed to find examples of modesty or sexual shame in the natural world, or if ideas of shame are hammered into their heads until they want to rip off all of their sexual characteristics. I wonder if this would apply in particular any girls “Dr” Grossman would come into contact with.

3. corby
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 8:31 am | Permalink

I just wanted to add this. Imagine taking your daughter to see “Dr” Grossman about anything.
    “Doctor, I started my period.”
    “Ewww!”
    “Doctor, I keep hurting here.” Girl starts to pull up her shirt to show her place.
    “Cover yourself, for God’s sake!”
    Also, I find it hypocritical that she would condemn feminists. I mean, without their work in the past, she probably would never had the opportunity to become a doctor, as women in college or with careers were taboo.

4. PatriarchySlayer
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 9:40 am | Permalink

I agree with you Nurgetts. That is very similar to the kind of sex education I had. And although I would consider it comprehensive to what some very conservative schools have, I never really learned about masturbation, desire, about the different types of orgasms, or how to have them etc. until I was taking a Human Sexuality class in my third year of university. This may sound sad, but I always understood my body, but never really had technical knowledge of it until then.
    I began to realize that it wasn’t just me, that all women have the capacity to be sexual to feel desire. It wasn’t shameful. I know this sounds like I was brought up sheltered, but I really wasn’t. It’s not that it was hush-hush all the time. But again, it really wasn’t something that was talked about or celebrated the way it should be. And being somewhat shy and uncertain I never asked. Now I ask people all the time about their sex lives. I find it fascinating. Hehe, but that’s just me.

5. Alessa
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.
    It’s almost like these people were brainwashed by their parents and grandparents before them, and ensuring the next generation will get their turn. The logic is so completely absurd, so stupid, that there can’t be any other conclusion.
    See the thing about all of this is that all of this apprehension about sex originated from the bible, which back in the day before birth control made sense (if a women got pregnant out of wedlock and the guy decided to not be with her, she’s not the only one being screwed over in the long term, but so is her child who likely wouldn’t have shelter or food, or enough of it at least).
    But now with birth control and *gasp* abortion, those reasons against sex are obsolete. So they grasp at anything they can to stick to something familiar, claiming people who have more sex are more depressed, mixing up the cause and effect. And they shame prostitutes, making them to be less than human. All so they can keep what is familiar to them, what they have been told since youth is bad by their parents and grandparents who uphold the “traditional” views.
    Ultimately, it really makes me question the separation between church and state in this whole situation.

6. sangetencre
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Natural inclination?
    I remember running around the house stark naked or missing at least one article of clothing (pants or shirt) as a young child.
    Heh. I still do sometimes. But I guess that’s just the brainwashing showing through.
    I think someone needs to read The Way We Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap
    “You might think of him all day, but he can’t remember your name.”
    Hm. Just because I’m thinking of him all day doesn’t mean I remember his name or that I’m planning our wedding, white picket fence and 2.5 children.
    I might just be remembering one particularly pleasant orgasm, or maybe a round of post-coital conversation that was rather engaging.
    I’m not even going to the TH site. I spent enough time over there when Dennis Prager was having his two-part fit about wives who won’t fuck their husbands whenever the husbands want. Those commenters are frightening.

7. jellyleelips
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Yeah, my current boyfriend was essentially a fuck buddy I had two years ago. Then, we sort of re-met each other, realized we both had changed a lot, and decided to try dating. That’s what I love most about this gender-essentializing dating advice bullshit. It purports to explain male and female behavior to a T, but women’s actual experiences rarely if ever live up to the absurd dating ideal in these books.

8. jellyleelips
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Word. I thought the idea that sex could be used as a tool of power was oh-so patriarchal, in that it assumes that sex is women’s BEST tool and, really, the only tool they need. But apparently, it’s feminists who believe that. So fucking absurd.

9. nurgetts
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

PatriarchySlayer – thank you for your reply! I totally agree that this education is comprehensive to what some conservative schools have. Indeed, many schools still do not have any sex ed. in the UK!
    But I also think that maybe this education is considered comprehensive in even more porgressive schools? Please correct me if I am wrong because I would love to hear of other’s experiences.
    I am going on personal experience here – but I have not heard of the female orgasm or masturbation being discussed openly in basically any school (progressive or not). It is still never openly part of the sex ed. curriculum. This worries me.
    Your experience, I think is quite common…if you don’t mind my saying. You are spot-on in that you were never really given any technical knowledge until much later.
    And you were not taught that you had the right to have normal sexual desires. You kind of muddled through alone. I absolutely think this to be true of many young women – it was for me.
    I was never really shy, myself – but I still had those uncertain feelings that you describe.
    But I never asked either….but then, why should we have to? If female desire had been openly discussed in the first place A) we wouldn’t need to!! and B) we would not have felt it strange to ask questions!
    So yes – I think you are spot-on when you say that it wasn’t talked about or celebrated. And if young women aren’t taught to celebrate their sexuality, then there is no wonder that we don’t talk about it! Thanks again for the reply.

10. Devonian
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

“See the thing about all of this is that all of this apprehension about sex originated from the bible, which back in the day before birth control made sense (if a women got pregnant out of wedlock and the guy decided to not be with her, she’s not the only one being screwed over in the long term, but so is her child who likely wouldn’t have shelter or food, or enough of it at least)”
    Although most of the Bible’s rules about sex are more of a “don’t mess with some other man’s property” thing.
    Also, I’m sure at least some of our culture’s issues with sex derive from sources other than the Bible…