“Family Values” Assemblyman caught on tape bragging about affairs

Nice job, asshole.
Michael Duvall, a conservative state representative from California was caught on a hot mic bragging – in detail – about his numerous affairs.
From TPMMuckraker:

While waiting for the start of a legislative hearing in July, the 54-year-old married father of two and family values champion began describing, for the benefit of a colleague seated next to him, his ongoing affairs with two different women. In very graphic detail.
For instance:

She wears little eye-patch underwear. So, the other day she came here with her underwear, Thursday. And? so, we had made love Wednesday–a lot! And so she’ll, she’s all, ‘I am going ?up and down the stairs, and you’re dripping out of me!’ So messy!

Ick. After local news station KCAL’s report on the uh…”messy” tape, Duvall tried to avoid the press but then quickly resigned.

1. hellotwin
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I don’t even know what family values means anymore…

2. nikki#2
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Yet another “family values” Republican caught in an affair. Why am I not suprised?

3. LalaReina
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

These bastards never cease to amaze , such unbridled hypocracy.

4. aleks
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

White, Republican, nominally heterosexual.

5. Zoe
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Love it. It’s always, ALWAYS the same thing. Republican for family values is fucking behind his wife’s back. I’m just happy that came back to bite him in the ass SO HARD.

6. Comrade Kevin
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

When matters like this happen we always ask why and then innumerable articles spring up attempting to provide some kind of psychological context for men who cheat.
    Maybe the hypocrisy behind it is more important than seeking to find a reason to explain such behavior. What I will say is this—we, male and female both are attracted to power and I’ve always been struck on how we can all rationalize away our morality and our best intentions when we recognize the great benefits that being highly influential provides. And I’m not necessarily even talking about sex in this context.

7. Heina
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I am from Orange County, and I couldn’t help reveling in the further revealed hypocrisy of the Republican Party around here.
    We all know what Santorum means nowadays, how ’bout Duvall as the hetero equivalent?

8. nobody
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

lol. what a whore.
    guess “family values” these days just means opposing gay rights, feminism, abortion, etc, and not giving a shit about yoru family.

9. Kim C.
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Male, Christian, rich…

10. Ian
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Its pretty sad that this has become a clique’.

11. Chris
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Simple, they believe that adultery “saves” marriage, whereas feminism, abortion, and homosexuality keep people from getting (shotgun) married.

12. Ian
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

That was meant to be a reply to the thread, not to any commenter.

13. Ian
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

That was meant to be a reply to the thread, not to any commenter.

14. leah
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Naw, y’all got it wrong. See, Family Values doesn’t apply to men, or even boys. No, Family Values are only for the teenage girls and wimminz and teh gay whose sexuality must be owned and controlled.

15. aleks
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

But the best part of the story for me was Duvall’s first response, before he realized it was over and he had no choice but resign. His original line was: I thought it was a “private conversation.”
    I mean, yeah, presumably so, right?
    –Josh Marshall

16. aleks
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Nah, poor people get family values. Rich people get tax cuts.

17. LalaReina
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

lol I know how to spell “hypocrisy” btw, I just cringe when I reread my posts at the typos but in my defense english is my second language :)

18. SaraLaffs
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Good call. Proposed definitions:
    Duvall: verb, meaning “to brag publicly about sex with a person or persons to whom you’re not married, while married to someone else”;
    or
    Duvall: noun, meaning “one who shameslessly identifies as pro-family values while carrying on extra-marital affair(s)”;

19. leah
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Wow, from watching that video, it’s pretty clear that not only is he a corrupt politician (sleeping with lobbyists for things he’s in the committee for), but he’s been sexually harassing his coworkers (talking about explicit sexual encounters in the workplace and making his coworkers uncomfortable). Yeah aside from the hypocrisy that guy needed to resign. He can still be sued though.

20. libdevil
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 12:54 am | Permalink

What would make someone have that conversation?

21. Heina
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 3:24 am | Permalink

Actually, I meant a direct hetero equivalent, as in the post-intercourse drip-drip ^^

22. Nepenthe
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 5:23 am | Permalink

I think that’s what horrifies me the most. I cannot imagine a point in a conversation I could be involved in where that quote would come up not in jest. Why on earth would anyone ever say something like that out loud in public!?
    Not that sex is particularly gross or anything but I mean, it’s like describing an unusually juicy sneeze in excruciating detail, with the bonus of the unbidden image of a naked Representative. Dude, keep your bodily functions to yourself, mkay?

23. makncheese
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Yea…(irrespective of this creeps politics or what he actually did) that got me too. Maybe I’ve led a sheltered life, or whatever, but I would never ever consider talking to someone else like that.

24. Ori
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I think Leah hit the nail on the head! “Family values” rhetoric is not about family, it’s code for controlling other people’s sexuality.

25. jellyleelips
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Do as I say, not as I do.

26. AgnesScottie
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Santorum also applies to hetero anal sex.
    But I think that would be hilarious. Though this Duval cat might like it if he was metaphorically dripping out of everyone

27. stellarose
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget opposing policies that make life possible/tolerable for working moms…like parental leave, affordable childcare, and non-discrimination laws.

28. stellarose
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Yeah, sort of like we women think our discussions with our healthcare providers are private conversations that the gov’t isn’t listening into and censoring…sucks when that assumption isn’t true, eh?

29. alixana
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

THE FUCKER IS NOW DENYING IT!!
    He says “my offense was engaging in inappropriate storytelling.”
    I do not have words.

30. aleks
    Posted September 11, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I figured from the beginning there was a good chance he was making it up, but now he’s got a pretty strong reason to deny it: He could be prosecuted for having sex with lobbyists he did political favors for. Of course when the lobbyists sue him for slander he may discover that it was true all along . . .
    Who’re you gonna believe, me or my lyin’ lips?