What We Missed.

Your Friday feel good cute cartoon for the day.
Check out Jaclyn’s new column at Amplify Your Voice.
On Tyler Perry’s Gender Problem at The Nation by Courtney Young.
The Onion takes PETA to task.
The long awaited trailer for Chris Rock’s documentary, “Good Hair,”
via Wiretap Magazine.
A law has passed in Afghanistan that allows a husband to deny his wife food, if she denies him sex.
Have a great weekend folks!

1. smiley
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

That cartoon.
    I disagree.
    It could be applied to any magazine: automobiles, films (not actors and actresses, but films themselves), chess, baseball, travel, computing, and so on.
    Those magazines do not represent the average automobile or the standard baseball player. They do not show chess games played by club-standard players. Neither do they show boring or dreary landscapes. I could also mention photography magazines.
    You get my gist – magazines of all kinds show the creme de la creme in that domain. The best games by the top chess players, the shiniest cars, the most spectacular landscapes, etc. And of course the most beautiful women and men.
    Tha argument that beauty is defined by society is no counter-argument at all. Simply because the magazines will show what is considered most beuatiful by the standards of that society at that time.
    I am not shocked by such magazines.

2. sarahj
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

As far as the “new” law in Afghanistan, it’s not new by any means. It’s straight Sharia law. Can’t quote the verse from memory, but it’s in there along with the get out of jail free cards for killing heathens and all the rest.
    Islam is to equal rights what the Tijuana donkey show is to romance.

3. Toni
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

The Onion’s video isn’t working for me so I found it on YouTube. Here’s the link in case anyone else is having the same problem.

4. radishette
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

You make a good point, but when you consider how much of what we see in magazines is photoshopped, I think the comparison breaks down. It’s not the creme de la creme anymore when it’s not real.
    Photoshopping is to body image as steroids are to sportsmanship. They create a twisted idea of super-human qualities that are’t naturally attainable, even by those supposedly attaining them.

5. gothicguera
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

@ sarahj
    Your comment about Islam was beyond out of line.Keep in mind that their alot of Muslims who read femmisting. Also early Islamic jurists introduced a number of advanced legal concepts before the 12th century women’s rights, privacy, abuse of rights, juristic personality, individual freedom, equality before the law, legal representation, non-retroactivity, supremacy of the law, judicial independence, judicial impartiality, limited sovereignty, tolerance, and democratic participation. Islam prohibits men from hitting women, I find you comment disgusting.

6. Gretchen
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Uh, wow. Grossly ignorant and sweeping generalization, much?

7. Devonian
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Permalink
  8. Hypatia
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

You seem to imply that people who practice Islam are opposed to equal rights, therefore they cannot be feminists. That in itself is exclusionary, and more befitted with your little analogy than Islam is.

9. Liza
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

I’m so in love with that cartoon.

10. Ian
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 7:06 am | Permalink

As radishette , its photo-shopped, but also the ‘woman’s/fashion/home’ magazine gives you “diet tips.” They give you a fake image and then give you TWISTED( and I mean twisted) “health tips.” Trying to make your car look like when in a magazine is sure as hell different as eating unhealthy meals thinking it will make you thin, and therefore healthy. I have seen this first hand. When friend of mine read the back of a organic juice drink I had and then Pepsi and said “Pepsi is healthier then this. Isn’t that funny?” I asked why did she think that and she replied “Pepsi has less calories then this, so its better.” I then asked where did she get this idea and she told me from her friends and mother. These ideas aren’t just enforced on pages of a magazine.

11. Ian
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 7:08 am | Permalink

*As radishette said

12. PamelaVee
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Re: Barbaric Shia Law:
    Disgusting but not surprising. We will keep having these types of discussions while religious fundamentalists have power. I wish I could say this will end in my lifetime, but it won’t.
    Religion has killed the spirit of so many people. It has kept SO many people in physical and intellectual bondage.
    The Christian fundamentalists are just as scary to me, because to people in the US, they are a little more palatable. They are just as insidious, but they act aghast at the treatment of some Muslim women, but still subscribe to similar philosophies. Different packaging, same misogyny.
    I do believe in freedom of/from religion, and I think it’s pretty clear these women do not have it. When you can rape someone and then when they reject your rape, LEGALLY deny them food, someone has to stand up and say that this religious institution is flawed and unethical.

13. Nina212
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

The Nation article on Tyler Perry was right on. I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Great insights, Ms. Young :)

14. kittycat
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Yes, I agree with both PamelaVee and sarahj. Its completely true that Islam has misogynistic laws, and it’s perfectly fair to point that out. Christianity does too, just most Americans don’t strictly adhere to the laws of the bible anymore.
    Strict observance of Islamic law hurts women. End of story. Muslims who sacrifice parts of their faith to coexist in a modern world will not have this problem.

15. Kim C.
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

To those who will respond with “you’re generalizing”, she’s talking about the law/the religion itself, not its followers. Don’t mistake Muslims for Islam.

16. TigerLily
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Sarahj, this comment is beyond unfair. Oversimplify much?

17. TigerLily
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

But there are many ways to interpret both Islamic law and the Koran and people like Sarah don’t really seem tio grasp that. To imagine that a mother in Bangladesh, a businessman in Dubai, and an African-American convert living in West Philadelphia all agree on what Islam is is beyond ignorant. What people are disagreeing with is th the fact that the OP is making a huge generalization about 1 billion people who are scattered all over the world.

18. TigerLily
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

But there are many ways to interpret both Islamic law and the Koran and people like Sarah don’t really seem tio grasp that. To imagine that a mother in Bangladesh, a businessman in Dubai, and an African-American convert living in West Philadelphia all agree on what Islam is or that all Muslims interpret the law the same way is beyond ignorant. What people are disagreeing with is th the fact that the OP is making a huge generalization about 1 billion people who are scattered all over the world.

19. Kim C.
    Posted August 16, 2009 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Of course they don’t agree: they’re different people.
    But there’s a difference between a valid interpretation and one that’s been twisted beyond recognition, or applied to the wrong idea. Rereading a verse doesn’t rewrite it: if it was nasty to begin with, it remains nasty. I could claim that slaves in America were just fine and dandy when slavery was legal because they needed the guiding hand, but that doesn’t make those laws concerning slavery a-okay thanks to my new interpretation.
    That’s why the issue is Islam, not Muslims.

20. rebekah
    Posted August 16, 2009 at 1:55 am | Permalink

I think we have. Our president stood up and said he does not support this law. We are involved in mass conflict in that country and I think he did everything he could do, while still protecting our troops. But as far as your comparison to christianity goes, there is no where in my bible where it says that husbands can keep their wives from eating if they do not want to have sex with them. NO WHERE. Rather than citing specific religions whose fundamentalists are awful why don’t we just fight against fundamentalism? I think we can all agree that fundamentalism of any kind is wrong and hurtful to women.

21. firefoxx66
    Posted August 16, 2009 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Is anyone else totally craving a shirt with the quote at the end of the Onion’s PETA video?
    “We have no intention of changing our tactics until every last animal on the planet is given more respect than women”
    Any takers for making such a shirt??

22. Lisa
    Posted August 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

“Islam is to equal rights what the Tijuana donkey show is to romance.”
    And statements like this are exactly why I’ve started avoided all posts about Islam on feministing. There is plenty of room for discussion about the intersection of sexism and religion but being deliberately obtuse doesn’t get us anywhere.

23. PamelaVee
    Posted August 16, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I agree fundamentalism is hurtful to women, but I haven’t found an institution that has fundamentalists in it that is more harmful to women (and men, and animals) than religion.
    I didn’t say that Christian fundamentalists specifically can legally deny women food if they don’t “provide” sex. However, Old Testament (and the New) doesn’t treat women well by any means. Like if a woman’s raped, her rapist pays her dad and marries her. The 3 Abrahamic religions put women on par with property in many instances and it’s pretty clear (to me, and a lot of other people) that that’s a good reason to question their validity. Degrading half the population is a little suspicious to me.
    I do think religion can bring out the good in some people, I just tire of people assuming it always or even sometimes does, and assuming you can’t grasp ethics or live a full, ethical life w/o it. To be fair, your statement didn’t imply that non-believers or good/bad, it’s just something that goes with the territory that I wanted to address.
    In any case, I think all of us can agree that religious-sanctioned rape is never ok. I will also admit my bias as a woman from the US who has he privilege of not fearing for my very LIFE if I want to attend a demonstration. Many women don’t have that luxury.

24. sarahj
    Posted August 16, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Yes, to clarify, I’m talking about Islam as a belief system, not individual Muslims. I also don’t like Communism or Scientology. That doesn’t mean I’m out on the weekends beating up the neighborhood Communists.
    To all the Islam apologists – how many of you have actually spent time in a Muslim majority country? Why don’t you argue to all the women in Saudi who need their husbands’ permission to leave the house about how enlightened Islam is? It’s great they did a bunch of stuff in the 12th century, but that was before I was born. Like the song goes – “what have you done for me lately?”
    And if anyone has any actual counterargument that Sharia law DOESN’T allow you to cut your wife off if she doesn’t share the vagina, care to actually provide them? That’s if you can stop being offended long enough. God almighty, talk about the Oppression Olympics on here. Less drama, more discussion people…
    And finally, I think fundmentalist Christianity is bad, but nowhere near as bad as Islam. No, I don’t like fundamentalist Christianity one bit either. I’m just pointing out that Islam is near the worst, there are plenty of other belief systems that are almost equally wretched. Hopefully I won’t get beaten up for drawing a cartoon of Jesus.
    And in case anyone missed it the first time, I’ll say it again: “Islam is to equal rights what the Tijuana donkey show is to romance”.

25. virago
    Posted August 17, 2009 at 7:08 am | Permalink

I agree with you sarahj. I’ve read large parts of the koran, and there are verses in there that seem to justify beating your wife. There are also “traditions” or hadith that support this. There are muslim feminists WHO DON’T DENY THIS. A good book to read is “The Veil and the Male Elite: a Feminist Interpretation of Women’s Rights in Islam” by Fatima Mernissi. She doesn’t deny what these verses and traditions say, but she also has an explanation for them. I’m not sure that I totally agree with her, but I found her book extremely interesting. It was a good read.