Quick Hit: Afghan Marital Rape Law to Be Amended

Remember the new Shia law passed by Afghan President Hamid Karzai that not only potentially allows child marriage and marital rape but also prohibits women from leaving the home? Well, it looks like the law will now be amended, says President Karzai, who is now claiming he “did not know all the contents of the law.”
I can’t say I completely buy that, although I’ll admit I was confused he signed it in the first place considering he’s made efforts in the past to combat child marriage. (Some folks predicted it was a political move by Karzai for more votes.) Either way, this is good news.
Via UN Dispatch.

1. Alessa
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

YES! I cannot believe it was passed in the first place, but thank god if it goes through and it really is amended. I hope those protesting women who had stones thrown at them made a huge difference in this – talk about empowerment.
    This is fantastic!

2. Roving Thundercloud
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

The part that really scares me about this law, but that rarely gets mentioned, is that it also forbids women to seek medical attention without permission. Enough said.

3. Yekaterina
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

what will this amendment say though?

4. Ori
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Karzai is no friend to women. I don’t believe for a second that he was unaware of the full contents of that legislation. To the contrary, I think it was a deliberate attempt to appeal to male religious fundamentalists in Afghanistan. The only reason Karzai is backing down is because of immense internal and international pressure. Many thanks to all of the people who spoke out against this horribly sexist legislation!

5. GypsyLin
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I’m not thinking any God for an unrevealed amendment. For all we know it’ll just be craftier in allowing child marriage and domestic rape. This is def something to keep an eye on. AN if he didn’t know what he was signing and signed anyway…he’s not doing his job.

6. GypsyLin
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

7. Sonya Klarson
    Posted June 4, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

The president of the United States of America Barack Obama after arrival to Cairo is going to proclaim on June, 4th the long-awaited reference to all Muslim world. Expectations from visit different and inconsistent.