Friday Feminist Fuck Yeah: May Day Immigration Rallies

Transcript after the jump

Hi Everyone
Welcome to this edition of the Friday Feminist Fuck Yeah.
This is my first solo edition. I’m sad Ann is not here with me!
Today I wanted to dedicate the Friday Feminist Fuck Yeah to May Day Immigration Rallies.
For about three years, since 2006 May 1st has been a huge day for immigration organizing and rallies. Basically a big taking to the streets in favor of fair immigration reform and the rights of immigrants in the US. So I want to give a big fuck yeah to all the people out on the streets right now, today, in the big cities around the country protesting and marching for the rights of immigrants.
We have a huge potential this year to really do something positive for immigration and I think the Obama administration has made it clear that it’s a priority for them to do immigration reform but we also see a lot of scary negative things coming out of the anti-immigration movement.
So really important that we mobilize and make our voices heard as we are a country of immigrants. That’s my Friday Feminist Fuck Yeah to May Day and the immigration rallies.

1. ACP
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

I passed by one by Madison Square Park! Fuck yeah, indeed!

2. maggie
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I was at the one by Madison Square Park, rallying for health care rights for immigrants. Fuck Yeah!

3. GREGORYABUTLER
    Posted May 2, 2009 at 12:45 am | Permalink

I was at the Madison Square rally – and the larger rally at Union Square later in the day, that ended up marching on the Federal Building downtown.
    The Union Square rally got on New York 1 – according to them there were over 1,000 people at that rally.

4. nakedthoughts
    Posted May 2, 2009 at 10:46 am | Permalink

What was so awesome about the one in SD was that the speakers all acknowledged that this fight is part of a bigger fight to end all oppression, including (but not limited to) LGBT rights, women’s rights, and rights of people of ALL colors.

5. Dykonoclast
    Posted May 3, 2009 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Wicked stoked feministing just acknowledged May Day! I was marching in Everett.
    Sad you didn’t go into the origins of May Day in 1886 in Chicago and how it’s International Workers Day everywhere else in the world. http://vicwelle.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/thank-an-anarchist/

6. Posted May 4, 2009 at 3:41 am | Permalink

related:
    Mayday protests in Tehran met with violence:
    Women’s rights activists were among those arrested- including a few members of the one million signatures campaign:

7. Sonya Klarson
    Posted June 12, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I was born in Paris, went to usual French school, but by a vacation went in the USA to the grandmother. Then my parents immigrated to America on a constant residence (naturally and I with them). As a whole, I am grateful to the Person of Year that does not forget about us, immigrants…

8. Sonya Klarson