Homophobic Asshole of the Week: Virginia Foxx

Miriam touched on this briefly yesterday when the Matthew Shepard Act passed the House, but this really takes the cake. Anyone that is opposed to hate crime legislation must have a tremendous super power to ignore all the violence that has been inflicted upon marginalized populations all through out history, a violence that continues. And anyone with this power must be deeply evil.
Take for example Virginia Foxx, a North Carolina Congresswoman who dared to suggest that the brutal murder of Matthew Shepard was a hoax.

Transcript:

Rep. Foxx: “The bill was named after a very unfortunate incident that happened, where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of robbery. It wasn’t because he was gay. The bill was named for him, the hate crimes bill was named for him, but it’s, it’s really a hoax, that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills.”[House Floor Speech, 4/29/09]

Always take fundies at their word, even when they try and backpedal.

Via Pam’s House Blend.

1. Punchbuggy Green
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

You should turn this entire comment into a community post.

2. Punchbuggy Green
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

“If you made the more nuanced argument that hate crime legislation should influence general public opinion (as laws do) so that juries are less likely to devalue murder of members of oppressed groups, I’d be much more with you.”
    Well why don’t you just make the argument yourself, and be with yourself.

3. sbeath
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I’ve really appreciated most of your other arguments, and because I think you’ve made your point and because I need to get to class,I won’t be responding to them in a timely manner, or probably at all (unless you want to pick this up in 24 hours).
    The one argument that you’re making here is only barely related to the rest of the well-reasoned support you have, but the way you’re stating it is very worrisome to me. When you say But whether or not it is OK to kill someone because they are transgender should NOT be left up to jury discretion, EVER. you sound like you’re opposing jury trials for people who kill transgender people. I don’t think that’s what you mean. I didn’t mention it the first time, but now you’ve repeated it, so I thought I’d bring possible interpretations to your attention.
    I’m not trying to do this as a point in the argument–I think your arguments are good and I feel pretty shouted down. (The only aspect I could really argue would be as a critique of the larger law system and its role in controlling aberrant behavior versus aberrant individuals. I don’t have the time or the brains to make that argument fully.)

4. era4allNOW
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Agreed. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing, Law Fairy, and I would also like to support Punchbuggy Green in her suggesting this become a community post. I didn’t even know about Foxx until this post; glad to be informed!

5. Punchbuggy Green
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

“you sound like you’re opposing jury trials for people who kill transgender people. I don’t think that’s what you mean. I didn’t mention it the first time, but now you’ve repeated it, so I thought I’d bring possible interpretations to your attention.”
    I realized when writing it that it would be very easy to twist my words to make it sound like that was my intention, but I had faith that anyone reading my comment would know what I meant. :)

6. Creighton Hogg
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Awesome. I’d also like to see this be its own post so we could have a solid debate. I’m surprisingly down with the idea of considering crimes done to make an ‘example’ of a member of a minority as a terrorist act.

7. LalaReina
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

You make some valid points. That’s why i like arguments with the facts and not the name-calling.

8. bifemmefatale
    Posted April 30, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Holy crap! I had never seen that statistic before. O.O

9. Scheherazade
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 5:07 am | Permalink

Well said!

10. susanb
    Posted June 23, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

i agree with you so much. this is so well said.
    CD Label Software