An article on your “down there”

Gawd I love The Onion.
Thanks to Rachel for the link!

1. John H.
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

The Onion gets it right every time.

2. Ann
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

The graphic is priceless!

3. BROWN TRASH PUNK!
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

haha. Weird how American society is soooo obsessed with women’s bodies, but can’t get over the anatomy of our vags… people need to get over it.

4. anteup
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Looks like The Onion has been taking vocab lessons from my boyfriend.

5. Kate
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I love the term hoo-ha for my down theres! ;)
    (but seriously, i do)

6. TBailey
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

It amuses/angers me when university professors use euphemisms like these. I had a psychology prof last year who could not say “penis” or “vagina” or anything body related really. He would say things like “his wee wee” and “her down-there”. Seriously, people, they’re not that scary – students of all ages actually yell penis all the time.

7. Joe
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Yea, I’d be pretty pissed too if my anatomy prof couldn’t actually use the proper names for the organs of the human body. I mean, how would he grade the tests?

8. Kim C.
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Teaching the history of psychology, and so mentioning Freud, must have been difficult: how do you say “penis envy” without the first word?
    “Ding dong envy” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. I am not jealous of doorbells.

9. anitasaber
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

I am not jealous of penises either. I do like your analogy though :)

10. Cory
    Posted March 30, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I’m sure she was upset that they didn’t call her up about winning America’s Next Top Model.

11. Undune
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 12:05 am | Permalink

I know my twinkie suffers ding dong envy all the time… *sigh*

12. Sabriel
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 1:45 am | Permalink

Made me think of this: http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/02/01/womens-bodies-are-inappropriate/
    (I am pretty sure this was covered here too, but I knew where to find it at Sociological Images.)

13. MimiX
    Posted March 31, 2009 at 10:21 am | Permalink

OK, get this: I had a DOCTOR, my primary care doctor, a family doctor, a WOMAN, who was probably just shy of 30 at the time, who WHISPERED “vagina” when she had to say it. Talking normally, blah blah blah [whisper: "vagina!"] talking normally again. It was insane.
    I should print this article out and mail it to her. (Note I say “had” a doctor, because at that point I found a new doctor.)