Beating Down Online Misogyny: Links

Samhita and I just finished our SXSW panel with Amanda from Pandagon and Cecily Walker! Had a great conversation Will post video and more later today. In the meantime, check out the panel discussion on Twitter (#misosxsw).
As promised, here are a few links for additional info on the stuff that we discussed today:

University of Maryland: Female-Name Chat Users Get 25 Times More Malicious Messages
Jessica Valenti: How the web became a sexists’ paradise
Take Back the Tech
Wikipedia: Disemvoweling (via epc on Twitter)
Feministe: AutoAdmit sued
Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog: Kill-filing repeatedly abusive commentors
Salon: Men who hate women on the Web
Ada Lovelace Day: “an international day of blogging to draw attention to women excelling in technology” (via girlonetrack on Twitter)

Now we’re watching a panel on social media and racism featuring Latoya from Racialicious, Kety from the Sanctuary, Jay Smooth from Ill Doctrine, and Phil from Angry Asian Man. (On Twitter, #racesxsw.)
More from SXSW later. And if you’re here in Austin, come to our happy hour with Pandagon on Monday night! More info here.

1. Sabriel
    Posted March 15, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

You guys are awesome beyond words.

2. Lynne C.
    Posted March 15, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

On a smaller scale, I am slowly learning that it is not worth it, and pointless to argue with most of the “youtube” population. Their comments used to leave my blood boiling, but I had to tell myself that most of them are either children, or stuck in an arrested adolescent state.

3. Wendell
    Posted March 16, 2009 at 1:21 am | Permalink

I really liked this quote by a friend of the author of the Salon article above: “There is nothing like hysterical masculine self-pity posing as righteous indignation.” (3rd page)

4. Anne Marie
    Posted March 16, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

One thing you can try if you have firefox is the youtube comment snob addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7115). It blocks out messages that are written poorly and thus cuts way down on your having to see the stupidity of the commenters.

5. 1spacescientist
    Posted March 16, 2009 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

As someone who sometimes does media work as part of my job, I am sensitive to this issue. I have found clips of me posted on youtube along with threats of rape and other nasty sexual comments, as well as similar remarks posted to other blogs. I am currently pursuing legal action with the assistance of my employer. Attempts to ask people to remove slanderous and threatening remarks have been unsuccessful; let’s see what happens when they hear from my employer’s lawyers.
    As far as I can tell, almost all women who appear even slightly in the media are subject to threats and slander. It’s disgusting.

6. Disarm33
    Posted March 16, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I like it too. It sums up exactly what the harassment is about. Masculinity is so fragile.

7. Nation Health
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately from concerns not only a female audience… (((
    Frequently, many do not consider the Internet as a serious place for discussions, I think, that have got to any computer game in which to insult the person it is possible…
    I have got used for a long time already with similar hatred display. I think it is not necessary to spend the nerves in court.
    On “terrible court” to everyone it will be rewarded according to the deserts…