New anti-choice organization: Personhood USA

Pam lets us know about a new anti-choice organization that’s sprouted out of attempts to define fertilized eggs as people.
Apparently the defeat of the Colorado amendment made anti-choicers think it would be a fantastic idea to take their failed state initiative nationwide.

A new pro-life organization, Personhood USA, plans to assist local pro-life groups in different states to put personhood amendments on their states ballot by using the petition process.
The 17 States that allow citizens to place constitutional amendments on ballots will be the target states. Personhood USA will also help with opinion petitions to encourage politicians to run personhood amendments in other states. During the Colorado Personhood campaign, organizers were contacted by individuals in many different states with excitement and the desire to start personhood efforts in their own state.
“Praise Jesus! The pro-life tide is rising in America, now is the time for the entire pro-life movement to turn the focus off from permitting murder but attempting to ‘regulate’ it, to pushing for the recognition of the God given right to life for all innocent persons. Persons are humans beings from the moment of fertilization.” Cal Zastrow, Co-Founder of Personhood USA.

Um…yeah. Good luck with all that. Perhaps a creepy video will help…

PUSA Promo (Web) from Endfallow on Vimeo.
Ladies, did you know that your uterus is shaped like AMERICA? Yeah, I didn’t either. I’d write more about the pathetic attempts by anti-choicers to limit women’s reproductive freedoms, but my Texas is cramping like a mofo.
P.S. This is what a fertilized egg looks like. Yeah.

1. deas
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 7:23 am | Permalink

i wonder how they feel about ivf? if a fertilized egg is a person, couldn’t that be considered unlawful imprisonment? kidnapping? torture?

2. Erin
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Actually, there was a Washington Post article a few years ago encouraging all women to think of themselves as “pre-pregnant” in order to avoid ingesting alcohol, sushi, and other things that might be harmful to a fetus before she realizes she’s pregnant… sickening, but some in the world already think of us as “pre-pregnant”.

3. Destra
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:49 am | Permalink

It makes me very angry to hear people going on and on about activist or corrupt judges. Judges have to use the law they have in making their decisions. They are more bound to the law of the land than the rest of the country. Boo.

4. DownAtTheDinghy
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:55 am | Permalink

innocent isnt a term that just BELONGS to children under a certain age. i know plenty and see plenty of little shit head kids running around wreaking havoc. i don’t think you’re innocent anymore once you gain an understanding of “right” and “wrong” and do “wrong” things repeatedly. i grew up in a rural community where kids were torturing animals and even killing them by various methods. therefore i do not believe “innocent” just belongs to anyone.

5. Astrophilia
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I agree, Destra. BOO, Personhood USA, you FAIL!

6. eyes_wide_open
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:40 am | Permalink

LOL! It’s not abortion, it’s “early birth!”

7. Ariel
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:55 am | Permalink

My thing is, is that there are so many other things that to be activist about. What about poverty? What about conservation of wildlife? What about real murder and crime? How come these things matter less, but an unborn child is the most important thing? My anger really spiked when they kept calling it murder. They use that word all to lightly. They are comparing it to evil acts as heinous as slipping drugs into someone’s blood stream and as violent as killing someone with a pick-ax. Abortions come nowhere near this violent. It’s comparing apples to oranges.
    And corrupt judges my ass. I don’t think they ever read Roe v. Wade, which was found in favor because illegal abortions were dangerous, not because they considered the life of the child. It was the right of the women. Which is what I ask my pro-life friends sometimes. Do you know what lengths some women are willing to go to to abort their child? Back-alley surgeries, wire coat hangers, even knives and candles! Making abortion illegal won’t make it disappear. After all, murder, rape, and speeding are all illegal yet people keep doing it.
    Sorry. Preaching to the choir.

8. AnUnfunnyFeminist
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 10:47 am | Permalink

A town in Russia had a Conception Day like a year ago in order to boost the population. And anyone who gave birth exactly 9 months after Conception Day got a tax break or something. Of course, that’s not how reproduction works.

9. rivka
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

You also forgot… gay, lesbian, bi, Trans, Latino, African-American, and anyone who is not white-male-heterosexual!

10. rileystclair
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

now i’m going to start referring to those of us who do not inhabit the womb “postborn.” omg it’s so postborn of me to be typing comments to a blog entry, amirite?

11. Robbert
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Shouldn’t that be pre-birth?

12. lgrf4evr
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

To all the ladies,
    here is what a “pro life” woman justify her reason against abortions and yet support the death penalty, wars, et al.
    “Murder” is revealed in the Scriptures (Bible) as the willful, deliberate shedding of innocent blood. Now, from that definition, we can rightly judge what is indeed murder. Capital punishment? No, the blood shed is not innocent. Soldiers at war and police officers? No, because God, in Romans, Chapter 13, authorizes human government to protect innocent life from the great evil present in the world. Soldiers and police officers of integrity only kill to accomplish the mission of protecting innocent life, in which they act as ministers of God to protect the innocent. Any unintentional or accidental killing is not deliberate and is not murder. Termination of pregancy because of danger to the life of the mother, or rape? No, because the situation (as in rape) was not the choice of the mother (not deliberate), or in the case of saving the life of the mother, not willful in the sense that it was something she “wanted” to do. Abortion as a means of birth control or convenience? Sounds like the willful, deliberate shedding of innocent blood to me. Wonder what it sounds like to God?
    So, in her logic, the “innocent” life that was lost in Iraq, be they the soldiers or iraqis are okay and not wrong given, that the president goal was to protect the innocent, the Iraqis that will perish at saddam’s hand and millions of innocent americans that would die if saddam use his WMD against america.
    the death penalty is okay, because the criminal is not innocent. Companies that emit polluction are not wrong, because their purpose is not to kill but to get rid of waste. However, to regulate these pollucting companies is to intervene in god’s plan, given that they are in the position they are by god.

13. MissEmma
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry, but as soon as you begin a sentence with “Praise Jesus!” or saying that you are quoting Scripture there is a 90% chance that i will perceive everything you say as bullshit. My mom taught me from a young age how to de-value the Bible, because like it or not there is no proof that it was written by the Hand of God, and don’t tell me that the Bible says so. Just like you can’t use a word in a definition of itself, you can’t say the Bible was written by God because the Bible says so.
    The circa 1950 style of this video made me immeditely think of the oppression of women, and how these people wants us to shut up and get back in the kitchen where they can’t here us complain about being pregnent.
    My uterus does not look like America, in fact it doesn’t even look like Canada. These people wouldn’t put a uterus of actaul shape in their video because they are scared of the Almighty Uterus.
    i know that Personhood USA wants to put the issue of personhood on the ballot, but i can tell you now that this issue will effect people who will have no say. Young girls who have to choose between either a child or school are not old enough to vote, and this is who the personhood of fertilized embryos is effecting.

14. MissEmma
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Oh, and they need to get their lips off the words “We hold these truths to be self-evident.”
    Those words belong to Martin Luther King Jr. … and Ani DiFranco.

15. kbhvac
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Here is the question for the day:
    When your mom was pregnant with you, what species of embryo/fetus was present in her uterus?

16. kbhvac
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

The twin mudflapesque silhouettes that are at the top of your home page appear to be giving the one finger salute, flipping the bird….
    Is that what you intended or am I misinterpreting the icons.
    Even if their not flipping the bird, the idealistic shape of their female forms is communicating a message that this is the thing to be attained.
    It seems to ‘objectify’ the female form. Does it not?
    yor bro ken

17. kbhvac
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

“Comments Policy
    We view Feministing as a platform for not only discussion among feminists and allies, but for reaching (rational, not hateful) people who may not agree with every word we write. However, we require that discussion in comments should be respectful and be directed toward the ideas and argument, not the person. All comments with hate speech, personal attacks, or offensive language will be deleted.
    I was just perusing your home page and listed under regular features is:
    I believe a Unites States Supreme Court Justice once said, “If free speech is anything it is the right to be offended.”
    But this is your web site and I am an univited visitor, but I presume, welcome guest.
    So could you define ‘offensive language’ for me please? I do not want to violate your
    rules, and if possible, I do not want to offend anyone.
    yor bro ken

18. lgrf4evr
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

KBHVAC,
    What if my mother was a muslim, live on top of a huge oil field, and is located in a middle eastern country, like Iraq? Would it be reasonable than for my mother to abort me since she will die anyways due to the bombing by the Prolife president of a foreign country?
    Remember, there is no chance that my mother would survive the “liberation” of murdering her with an uraniam bomb. No chance what so ever, when the Prolife president decided to bomb my mother mud hut. None, nada, zip. Would you than be okay with an abortion, given that there is a 100% that she will die from a “pro life” bomb?

19. lgrf4evr
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

KBHVAC,

20. kbhvac
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

November 11, 2008 9:27 PM[0+|0-] lgrf4evr said:
    Forgive me, please.
    What does ‘muslim’ have to do with what species of embryo/fetus was present in your mothers womb when she was pregnant with you or where she lived or who is the president?
    There is only one race of people on this planet. We are all members of the human race.
    I make no distinctions by gender, ethnicity, nationality, religious preference, or sexual preference.
    We are all people.
    yor bro ken

21. kbhvac
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

November 11, 2008 9:27 PM[0+|0-] lgrf4evr
    I will answer your questions, if you will answer only one of mine.
    yor bro ken

22. kbhvac
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

kbhvac said:
    November 11, 2008 9:27 PM[0+|0-] lgrf4evr
    Forgive me, please.
    We are all people.
    I will answer your questions, if you will answer only one of mine.
    yor bro ken

23. Blue
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

KB, your question is insulting to our intelligence. And if you had bothered to read the previous comments, you would see that I addressed why I consider the answer to your question irrelevant here (or if the link doesn’t work, it’s my reply to T. Monster, near the top of the comments.)

24. T-Monster
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Sorry, but I merely presented an argument anti-choicers would give you… why are you ripping me up here and in a comment below to the obvious troll KB?
    I’m friggen pro-choice. Of course these people say nutty shit- that’s my point… why give them a flimsy argument that makes pro-choicers sound as if WE don’t value life? Clearly we value WOMEN’S lives, and they value a couple of cells strewn together and then vote for the death penalty.
    And please- make the arguments you want about personality and feelings denoting life (I agree. Cerebral Cortex all the way)- but a chicken is not a person. Disclaimer: I don’t think embryos are people either (that I have to even say it tho- this is the first time I’ve been on Feministing and felt commenters went crazy-don’t-attempt-objectiveness left).

25. Blue
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

T-Monster: You are seriously over-reacting. I am not “ripping you up”, there is nothing mean-spirited or vicious in anything I said to you. I merely offered my take on the argument that you presented – whether or not it is actually your argument does not matter to me. I linked KB to MY comment (not yours), so how this is of any concern to you is beyond me. And please do point out where I said a chicken is a person. Good luck with that, because I didn’t. Have a good night!

26. T-Monster
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Yea. Have some condescending much.

27. Blue
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

And by-the-by, I don’t think my argument shows a disregard for life at all. I simply don’t limit my value for life to things that contain human DNA. But whatev, you’re entitled to your opinion.

28. Blue
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

And by-the-by, I don’t think my argument shows a disregard for life at all. I simply don’t limit my value for life to things that contain human DNA. Nor do I think that all killing is necessarily evil (I’d have a tough time reconciling my adoration of large carnivores with that one.) I don’t think valuing life and accepting some killing as part of life are mutually exclusive. But whatev, you’re entitled to your opinion.

29. Blue
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Not at all. But clearly you’re in the mood to put yourself on the cross, so have at it. I’m done here. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

30. Blue
    Posted November 11, 2008 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Yami, I’m going to have to stick to my biological training here. “Technically” an embryo is NOT a parasite. But it’s behavior is analagous; it can be said to be parasite-like.

31. lgrf4evr
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Will, a lot of people do not consider a muslim a “human being.”(whisper)
    You see there are many “prolife” people out there who said that they are just “colleteral damages” which means that they are just some damages and not human being that die.
    therefore, my question, do you agree that a muslim is a human being and not colleteral damages, as the “pro life” president said?
    Being a muslim have everything to do with your arguement. See, even the president and his fellower do not consider certain groups of people human beings.
    thus, it is okay to genocide them though bombs because they are not human being but damages.
    there are people out there thinks it is okay to kill someone just because they are damages, and not human beings.
    are you consisted with your belief? Do you oppose the war.
    who knows how many muslim einstein lives had been lost because Pro Life people thought that they were not human being but damages.

32. Cactus Wren
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 4:52 am | Permalink

That was mine, actually. B-) But it’s true: pre-sliced bread is bread that has already been sliced, pre-washed jeans are jeans that have already been washed, a pre-heated oven is an oven that has already been heated, and a pre-born baby is … ?
    But you have to remember, these are also the people who will twist the language into all manner of improbably contortions just to get the terms “pro” and “abortion” into close proximity. “I’m not pro-abortion,” I’ll insist, “I’m pro-choice — please call me that.” And in response I’ll be called “pro-abortion-choice”, with the deliberate intent to suggest that that’s the only choice I support. Or the Willkes’ suggestion, “pro-choice to kill”.
    That’s why I call them “pro-liars”. They are liars, and there is no truth in them.

33. Megs
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 7:36 am | Permalink

This isn’t about species or anything else this is about a woman having control over her own body period. This is about not being forced to have a child that isn’t wanted or that can’t be taken care of.
    You can ask that question and think that you are making a great point, but no one disputes the species of whatever, but you are missing the point that we are making entirely. So think yourself clever and think that you have stumped those of us who are pro-choice if it makes you feel better. You haven’t changed our minds because this isn’t about species or what have you. This is about whether or not a woman should have complete autonomy when it comes to her body and life.
    I’m glad that my mother was in a place in her life that she decided she wanted children when she had me, but that doesn’t mean that I believe she should have been forced to have me if she was not in that place or if circumstances had been different. My mother chose to get pregnant and she chose to have me. Not everyone gets the choice to get pregnant, but everyone should get the choice to decide if she should have a baby or not. Being pro-choice is not about forcing abortions, but it is about making sure that the woman who is having to make this decision has all the choices.
    Now for your other “question” the icons of the mudflap ladies flipping off the world. That is about reclaiming and reappropriation; taking something that men have used to marginalize and denegrate women, and turning it back on them by having the image change and flip them and the world off…at least that is what it means to me, but it has been discussed at length several times, so if you want an answer for that then search the archives.

34. Astrophilia
    Posted November 21, 2008 at 5:52 am | Permalink

Actually, technically it’s more like a graft than a parasite. At least a parasite is its own organism; a fetus is not!