Reasons to Love Halloween

Cindy Rodriguez from the Allentown Women’s Center sent us a picture of this awesome Feministing pumpkin she carved out for the clinic. Thanks for the awesome Feministing-o-lantern, Cindy! You can also check out some of her book reviews on Lesbiatopia.
What are you doing/wearing for Halloween tonight?

1. Rebecca
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

I’m dressed as Mrs. Danvers, evil lesbian housekeeper from, ironically, Rebecca.

2. feminanimal
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Amelia Earhart! (my name is Amelia and a friend of mine called last week to say “Amelia ***? I thought this was Amelia EARHART. If you know each other could you tell the other Amelia that I’m still waiting on that Pizza?” So I bought a bomber hat.)

3. Steph
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I’m going to be Emma Peel of the 1960′s TV show “The Avengers.” She’s one of my favorite strong female characters ever! :D

4. Sarah
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

When I was planning on heading into the city for a Sarah Palin drag party, I was planning to dress as Audrey from Little Shop. But since I caught a hideous cold and am staying home, I will instead be dressed as a college student watching bad horror movies and stuffing her face with Halloween candy.

5. iHeartSanrio
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

I’m dressing as a vampire, and I’m going to a frat party with my friends. I’ve spent four years of college avoiding the frat houses because I had/have a huge issue with supporting or in any way glorifying a community where borderline substance abuse and violence against women are considered passages into manhood, but I didn’t want to be alone tonight, so I’m tagging along with them. Wish me luck.

6. that girl
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

That’s awesome! Emma Peel was my hero when I was 10 (still is, actually).
    It’s Shabbat, so I have to keep my costume down to a minimum. I did dye my eyebrows blue, though.

7. bifemmefatale
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I’m going as Mrs. Lovett, the meat pie maker from Sweeney Todd.

8. rileystclair
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

that’s pretty awesome.
    mrs. lovett is a great character.
    i’m doing sarah palin. cliche i know, but well-executed, if i do say so myself. keeping this much makeup on and looking good is quite a job, though!

9. Maria
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Hey, the Sarah Palin costumes are the scariest ones out there!

10. Sherashi
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I put more effort into my daughter’s costumes than my own, so I’m just wearing a rennaisance costume I already had. My daughter was a peanut butter M&M during the day and for tonight I’m dressing her up as a purple kitty, complete with rattle that looks like a mouse. :)

11. Naama
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

I’m Kaylee from Firefly! Got my swirly parasol and everything. Joss Whedon is a feminist, dontchaknow.

12. Laurenholt
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

I’m Piper (NOT BRISTOL) Palin.
    I’m wearing an outfit similar to the one she wore during Gov. Palin’s speech at the RNC, and I’m going to be holding a baby doll so I can “lick” my hand and fix his hair.

13. Luna
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

I’m dressed up as Holy Cow – a cow costume with wings and a halo. They loved it at work (a church). I’m taking my little one out trick or treating. He’s dressed as a mouse. My daughter is going out with her friends – She’s dressed as Cyndi Lauper. Just to make me feel old, I figure. :)

14. Morgan La Fey
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Carmen Sandiego! Got a red trench coat and fedora and an inflatable globe.

15. http://openid.aol.com/percat6
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

I’m being Anarchy personified.

16. Cindy Rodriguez
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Your welcome, Jessica! It was my pleasure! I LOVE making Jack-O-Lanterns.
    I’m dressing up for Halloween TOMORROW night (Saturday) for a big event. I’m just gonna be a “gangster”, pinstripe suit, fedora and a tommy gun…

17. renshai
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I’m going as a music pirate (pirate hat, pirate vest, pirate belts + pistol…..and cargo pants, Chucks, and big headphones).
    And when I say going, I mean sitting in my basement apartment watching movies, and waiting to see if anyone can find my doorbell this year. :D If no one does, hey, all the more candy for me.

18. Rose
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

I went as a “Survivor”, bandana (buff) tied on my head, & a Tiki torch w orange paper “flames”, did my face up as sunburned & dirty….
    I did not get voted off the Island (lose my job) @ work YET!
    (earlier wave of layoffs this year).

19. Brigid
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

It’s Samhain for us, so we did the feast for our Beloved Dead and invited them to our table. We’ve lost a lot of people this year, so it was especially poignant this time around.
    But we also did trick or treating with my son and his two friends – he was a pirate and I did myself up as Mab, or “The Bad Fairy”, as my son says.

20. i_muse
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Pippi Longstocking

21. Klarrisse666
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

uum…i was a playboy bunny…i got egged simply for wearing heels…then the eggers chased me in their car…but i DID verball abuse them and throw rocks at them…

22. the anglerfish
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Well, I went to a costume party dressed as Sarah Palin. I had a big American flag on my shoulder and pictures of elephants on each side of my chest. I also carried around a bunch of baby dolls with their names written on their heads and an American flag. My friend was Joe the Plumber! I still might go out more tonight and haven’t taken off the costume yet.

23. mirandom
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Tonight we ordered a ridiculous stuffed pizza and watched The Strangers, which was super creepy. As for my costume, to hand out candy I put on the same pair of red wings I’ve worn for the last few Halloweens and again tried to claim that it totally counts as a costume.
    We didn’t get too many trick-or-treaters this year, I guess that means more candy for me!

24. wax_ghost
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 12:18 am | Permalink

I got to go hand out candy to trick-or-treaters at my sister-in-law’s house. Since I didn’t even know that I would have anything to do until only a few days ago, I went with my standard last-minute costume: vampire. My real, prominent canine teeth + some white face paint + black clothes + fake blood = easy costume. One little girl actually told me that she liked my teeth… I don’t think she realized they are real.

25. Wendell
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 12:34 am | Permalink

:D That’s awesome! It brought back fond memories of both the computer game and the show.

26. thecheesegirl
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 1:17 am | Permalink

I’m glad I’m not the only one. My joke was that I was going as a zombie.

27. KatieinNewYork
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 3:03 am | Permalink

I went as House, and it was immensely satisfying. I loved people going “OMG, HOUSE!!” every few minutes.
    Weird, though, that I only saw one other girl the whole night dressed as a guy (she went as Charlie Chaplain). A lot of people gave me odd looks/laughed, and a bouncer actually looked at my ID and said “Dear God” when he looked at my face (my hair is pulled back and I have eyeliner “stubble”).
    What up with that?

28. Ariane
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 8:14 am | Permalink

I went as myself, by which I mean I turned up the “pleasant young lady from the (name) neighborhood” dial and handed out BIG candy bars until I ran out of them (which was, sadly, really early).

29. MLEmac28
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I was Sarah Palin. I had a doll which I wrapped up in fake fur which I made a fake bullet hole in. I also had this awesome nerf gun I shot at people at my school’s party. Then I got more drunk than I have ever been in my life, which might have killed my boyfriend’s fun for the night, as he was helping me walk to and from the bathroom to pee every 5 minutes (I didn’t puke, fortunately, I’ve actually never done that.). The whole night I was getting people yelling, “hey Sarah Palin!” at me. To which I would respond with “can I call ya Joe?” Then I woke up this morning…. yeah still some blank spots there.

30. Judith Jewcakes
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I always wanted to be Pippi because my sister has red hair and always was, and I was jealous. If I could have rigged up a convincing wig I would have done it anyway…but alas.

31. Judith Jewcakes
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

This was the first year I didn’t do anything. Last year I went as a businessman who walked out of the house and forgot his pants, but this year…I stayed home eating party mix and grilled cheese and watched Donnie Darko and thought about getting drunk and then didn’t even do that.
    It was a good one.

32. aideenjohnston
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I was going to go as a tetris block but I never got around to making the costume so I dressed as a flapper girl instead. My brother had the best idea – he just wore his normal clothes and said he was a muggle!

33. iamwoman
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Me too!

34. aleks
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I was an Ecuadorian Indian and I mangled some guy at the bar’s hand because he grabbed my ass. It worked really well, just bend the fingers back, I strongly recommend it.

35. aleks
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

PS, Guessing kids’ costumes wrong is the greatest sick twisted pleasure I know. “Dragon?” “Noooouuuuuu, I’m a pwincess!” “Spiderman?” “Nooouu, pwincess!” “Harry Potter?” “Pwinccccesssss!” “Transformer?” “Pw-i-i-i-ince-e-e-ess!”
    If they want the full sized candy bars, they’ve got to earn them.

36. aleks
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Awesome!

37. Ms. Kar3n
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

I’m dressing up as Lizzie Borden for a party tonight. I went through all my old goth stuff and found I had enough to build a Victorian dress, so all I had to buy was a (prop) ax and stage blood.
    Lots of blood. >:)

38. nicole
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I technically went as Liz Lemon from 30 Rock (jeans, Converse, scoop neck top, blazer–basically me, on a regular day), but my friend had an apron that said Mrs. Lovett’s Meat Pies and it had a “bloody” hand print on it, which she got from the merch booth when she saw the musical live.

39. MysteryBouffe
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I too went as Sarah Palin; I managed to get the ‘do right (which is astounding for me, as I have no idea how to style hair, others’ or my own), and I had this AK-47-style toy gun that I bought in Chinatown. It had kick-back, exploding shells, the works. I drank only vodka, in order to “get into the heads of them Russians that I see all the dang time from my house”.
    There was another girl at the party I went to dressed as Sarah Palin, and we both happened to run into each other at the exact moment a guy dressed as Osama Bin Laden entered the room. Then a guy dressed as John McCain showed up, and…well. The horror.

40. crafty
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I dressed as a pirate in an extraordinarily short skirt and fishnets with high boots. One of my friends criticized me for looking for a ‘slutty’ costume with my feminist views. I disagree, I think that if I like the way I look in an pretty revealing costume then thats what I should wear. I wasn’t dressing for guys, I was dressing because I thought I looked good. I’m a feminist, but I love ‘slutty’ halloween costumes.

41. aleks
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

That would be fun to coordinate, going with a friend as Sarah Palin and John McCain who obviously can’t stand each other. John would say all these over the top things about her qualifications that he obviously didn’t mean, and she’d just keep talking about herself.

42. mirandom
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

“Undercover cop” was always my favorite “I’m just wearing my own clothes” ‘costume’– but I like “muggle” better!

43. Sarah
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I was actually going to dress as a femme-nazi soldier (red and black top, camo pants, army boots) but couldn’t find the pants, so I went as me. It was scary enough. :)

44. nilbog
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I went as Ann Coulter. It was pretty sweet; I wore a tight dress, straightened my hair, carried around “How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must),” and was mean to everyone all night!

45. whatafeministlookslike
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I went as the laughing Medusa (Cixous anyone?)

46. whatafeministlookslike
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

I went as the laughing Medusa (Cixous anyone?)

47. aideenjohnston
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Totally agree. While it’s a shame these outfits are pretty much the only option being marketed to women as costumes, if you can take a step back, realise the sucky stuff about it, and still decide it looks like fun, go for it! I would too if I lived somewhere warmer than the freezing-cold UK, when else are you ever allowed to parade around in public in your underwear!
    I also don’t necessarily think non-feminist women who wear these kinda things unquestioningly are necessarily being slaves-to-the-patriarchy either – rather, I think that slutty halloween costumes allow women to express sides of themselves that are not generally sanctioned by society and rebel against certain notions of what they can and cannot wear/do. While this is no substitute for direct political action and unfortunately has the effect of reinforcing the status-quo, not everyone has access to feminist consciousness raising.

48. allisonjayne
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

i went as medusa, my wife went as rosie the riveter. i think we looked awesome and we got many compliments! we stopped by the haunted house that htey do in our building for a little while, then went to a house party.

49. M0xieHart
    Posted November 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

I was Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter. Sadly, everything came from my own wardrobe, I just painted a little sign with my prison numbers on it.

50. uva_feminista
    Posted November 2, 2008 at 9:06 am | Permalink

i went for sarcasm and dressed as june cleaver (and my boyfriend as ward). everyone that approached me expecting a docile housewife, however, was surprised that i wasn’t playing the character and was sticking to my normal (and sometimes brutal) feminist self. is it sexist that i thought myself looking sexy in an apron and pearls?