Donna Brazile keeps it real.

This video keeps putting me in tears. I have to say after yesterday’s tactics by the McCain/Palin campaign that were blatantly racist, I really started to think about what this election means to myself and to the people in this country that have experienced racism and never been allowed to talk about it, had the tools to deal with it and have always been told covertly and overtly that we are inferior. You never quite fit in but then you are told you are imagining it when you experience racism. It means something to us that Obama is so close to the presidency.
It is good to see some mainstream media heads actually take it there.

I love her.

via Jezebel.

1. BROWN TRASH PUNK!
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

transcript, please? There are many of us who are Deaf, hard of hearing, or can’t understand English that well.

2. Samhita
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Sorry, Brown Trash Punk, I will see if I can find one. I totally understand.

3. katemoore
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I think this got lost in the debate thread shuffle…
    Am I seriously the only one who found John McCain’s “Obama talks too loud” bit during the debate dog-whistly? The blogs are all talking about “that one” but I didn’t find that one as jarring.
    Especially considering McCain may have botched the Roosevelt quote.

4. Posted October 8, 2008 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

At last, Samhita, we agree!!!!

5. anon
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Samhita, thank you.
    If you can post a transcript at some point please do. These words are some of the most powerful words I’ve heard to date. And yes, it brought tears to my eyes too.
    “you cannot tell me I am inferior because of the color of my skin.”
    Considering the current nasty tone being taken by McCain and Palin, I think this little speech should be broadcast everywhere and many times over.

6. Posted October 8, 2008 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I’m more let down than ever to have missed Donna Brazile when she was in town last week. She and Frank Rich were to debate on “Politics & Propaganda: Designing the President.”
    Unfortunately, Bill Kristol and Eleanor Clift were in town the same night, and I assumed it’d be a little more contentious / hard hitting.
    Not to mention, I got to go one on one with Kristol for about 10 minutes after the event ended.
    I really wish Brazile would’ve stayed in the game on the professional level, and not retired to the world of punditry.
    Cheers,
    SPiHC

7. SarahMC
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Is she rad or what?!
    katemoore, I noticed that too.
    And when they were talking about healthcare, McCain mocked Obama for supposedly supporting “Cadillac such-and-such,” implying that he supports providing unnecessary, frivilous medical care coverage. That came across a bit dog-whistley to me, like he was trying to invoke an image of a “welfare queen” taking advantage of socialized medicine.

8. Kate
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

That was amazing! Does anyone know the context, and why she was on that stage with a bunch of old white dudes?

9. chanticorae
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 5:48 pm | Permalink
  10. Jill
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Love her.

11. Destra
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Hells yes!

12. Suzy
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

can i vote for her for president?

13. Posted October 8, 2008 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Awesome, awesome and awesome!
    Love her! :-)

14. everybodyever
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

In a way, I almost credit the McCain campaign with at least being so blatant in the past week in its race-baiting that I think most people — not just social justice activist types who hang out on blogs geared toward equality — must finally have noticed.
    Brazile’s words (and delivery) are awfully powerful, but they don’t stoke — in me, at least — any immediate fear that blacks will be relegated to backs of buses again. I can’t tell from the clip whether they’re designed to.
    I think that, like the tactics of pro-lifers who use things like “born alive” legislation to give fetuses legal rights, McCain’s tactics are far more insidious than the prospect of bus relegation — precisely because they want to codify racism and sexism in the guise of legit legislation.
    What nauseated me most in the debate last night was his remark to questioner Oliver Clark: “I’ll bet you, you may never even have heard of them before this crisis.” GOOD GOD. I can’t imagine him saying that to
    And then McCain didn’t even address the homeownership possibility to him — as though he thought only old white guys and not young black guys can own homes. (I doubt it was an age issue, either: In Nashville, with its reasonably low cost of living, a lot of young people own homes.)

15. LalaReina
    Posted October 8, 2008 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

That was incredible.

16. Posted October 9, 2008 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Thanks Samhita,
    After watching the terrifying ugliness at Palin’s rallies, this was just what I needed. It also brought me to tears. I just released my book Thanks But No Thanks: A Voter’s Guide to Sarah Palin, so I’ve been so immersed in all things Palin that I’ve been deprived of much of the good stuff – like this – that is answering the Republicans and their racist provocations.
    I too would be interested in knowing the context / setting of the panel Donna is on.
    Sue Katz

17. BROWN TRASH PUNK!
    Posted October 9, 2008 at 11:27 am | Permalink

thank you for providing the transcript, am reading it now.