Sarah Palin

So McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. She’s young — 44 — and a self-described “hockey mom.” Because Palin is relatively unknown on the national level (she’s been governor since 2006, and before that was mayor of a town of 8,000 people), a lot of people are already identifying this as a ploy to snag the votes of disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters. I don’t know whether that’s true (my guess is yes), but it’s my sense that Hillary backers who don’t like Obama are not going to like a McCain/Palin ticket much better.
Let me say right off the bat that, overall, I think it’s great that Republicans have chosen to elevate a woman to this level — no matter what their motivations. I want to see more women of all parties involved in politics. But, as we stated over and over in the primaries, a politician’s gender isn’t everything. It’s merely one factor to be considered. And quite frankly, Palin’s political views suck.

But Palin’s seemingly bright future was clouded in late July when the state legislature voted to hire an independent investigator to find out whether she tried to have a state official fire her ex-brother-in-law from his job as a state trooper.

As Vanessa blogged last month, Bill Kristol was claiming McCain would pick Palin — and that would prove that Republicans are “much more open to strong women.” Frankly, that’s bullshit. Republicans are more open to a certain type of woman — one who is strongly against things like equal pay, universal health care, and reproductive freedom. In other words, the party is pro-woman-candidates, as long as they enact anti-woman policies.
More to come later… Any Alaskans out there who know a bit more about her? What do the rest of you think?
UPDATE: My colleague Adam over at TAP makes some great points:

The pick of Palin is dripping with transparent condescension, the notion that the enthusiasm behind Hillary was simply the result of her being a woman, that it had nothing to do with what she actually stood for, and in that sense it’s equally sexist. Palin is essentially a hard right ideologue, and therefore nothing like Hillary as far as substance is concerned. It’s not very different from running Alan Keyes against Barack Obama in 2004. The conservative media reaction has already engaged in paternalistic language, with FOX News reporting on television that “McCain broke the glass ceiling,” implying in fact, that the pick had nothing to do with Palin or her qualifications, but merely her gender. It’s fitting that the party positing affirmative action as a program that picks people exclusively based on race or gender rather than qualification should do something similar given an opportunity for political advancement. While Obama is promising change through policy, not simply through the circumstances of his birth, the McCain campaign thinks his appeal is simply visual and demographic, and therefore something they can exploit.

UPDATE II: Bilerico has more on her record on LGBT issues.

1. Posted September 4, 2008 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

For those of you “Feminist” women, please take the time to read an article from a respected democratic female journalist and woman’s right activist, Susan Estrich…
    “But what is just as troubling to me as Palin’s willingness to impose her choices on others is the stupid and mean-spirited commentary from some of my liberal friends, attacking her for the choices she’s made, attacking her diligence in securing prenatal care in her latest pregnancy, suggesting that the child was really her grandchild and not her son.
    Since her selection last Friday, liberal blogs have been on the attack against Palin and her family. They have assumed the right to second-guess her choices in precisely the same way we criticize conservatives when they presume to second-guess ours. How dare she leave her infant at home and return so quickly to her job as governor? How dare she entrust the care of her baby, especially a baby with special needs, to someone as unqualified as, say, her husband? Maybe the baby wasn’t really hers in the first instance. Maybe it was really her daughter’s. And, most appallingly of all, maybe she didn’t seek adequate prenatal care for her son — a post so loaded with the implication that she might somehow be at fault for her son’s Down’s Syndrome that its author ultimately claimed he was merely questioning her “judgment” in deciding to give a speech in her seventh month of pregnancy before heading directly home (she also consulted her obstetrician by phone). How dare he?
    There is an old saying that it’s never the crime, it’s the cover-up. So, too, I often think with women candidates: It’s not about sex, but sexism. If you say to a group of women, you should support Mary or Jane, or Hillary or Sarah, because she is a woman, the majority will be offended. We women like to believe that we make our decisions on the merits, on the basis of policy and experience, not anatomy.
    But if that woman candidate should come under what is plainly sexist attack, if her opponent or the media treat her in the sort of patronizing way that every girl and woman in America is more familiar with than we should be (as Hillary’s Senate opponent did in 2000 and as many in the media did in 2008), women rally.”
    Agree or disagree regarding Sarah Palin’s positions, but do not lower yourselves to the same type of sexist rants and slandering that your fellow Democrats and Obama leaning media waged against Hillary. Consider that if the media had focused as much time and resources on the Obama-Ayers relationship in which thousands of documents are open to the public, Hillary would be the Democratic Presidential nomination!
    Intelligent, sincere women who want to be treated fairly by all should praise Palin for her accomplishments as a mother and political office holder as another example of how women can be successful in today’s world. Agree to respectfully disagree on her issues. Remember that any and all sexist comments demean all women!

2. moni
    Posted September 5, 2008 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Joe Biden tells us that he is personally opposed to abortion — that he accepts “on faith” that human life begins at conception — and yet because we live in a “heterogenious society” the best compromise between everyone’s views is to accept Roe v. Wade.
    This appeals to many of our instincts as Americans and members of a democratic society. We all recognize that it is often necessary, in a diverse and democratic society, to compromise and allow other people to live as they believe is best. And so there is a surface-level reasonableness to someone saying, “I believe this, but because we need to respect everyone’s beliefs, I understand that I can’t hold everyone else to that belief.”
    However, there some some issues that we all recognize are not open to compromise, even if not everyone shares our beliefs. We abolished slavery, and a hundred years later abolished segregation, despite the fact that many people in the country wanted to keep these evils. We have made spousal abuse a crime, despite that fact that some cultures believe it is entirely permissable for a man to beat his wife.
    What those issues have in common is that they cause grevious harm to innocent human beings whom it is the duty of the state to protect through the workings of civil law and justice. If one believes, as Senator Biden claims to, that an unborn child represents innocent human life then to insist that it’s necessary to “compromise” on the protection of that life is completely without moral integrity.
    If Biden and Obama were willing to assert that they definitely did not believe that embryos and fetuses are human beings, they would at least have a consistent moral position. But as it stands, their position is nonsensical, and morally repulsive.

3. Madison
    Posted September 5, 2008 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Good post kbz. I think you made some valid points and I can understand how you came to your conclusion. I once believed exactly as you did, that its my body and my right to choose. And, for the most part I still mostly do. One fact bothers me though and its something I think all self-described feminists should be concerned about as future generations of feminists are under attack.
    This was taken from the following we site: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/12/news/girls.php
    “…an estimated 7,000 fewer girls born every day because of the spread of cheap, prenatal sex-determination technology.”
    The article goes on to say:
    “In 80 percent of India’s districts, a higher proportion of boys are born every year than a decade ago as a result of the growing availability of fetal sex- testing services, the study showed.”
    It probably happens here too, but maybe not on as grand of a scale as in India or China, but something we should still be concerned about. Should we support unborn female rights too? I’m still trying to figure out the answer for this question myself.
    I suppose that’s why I don’t immediately dismiss Sarah Palin and other pro-life feminists.

4. moni
    Posted September 5, 2008 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

What Oprah has to say about Sarah Palin…..
    “There has been absolutely no discussion about having Sarah Palin on my show. At the beginning of this Presidential campaign when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates. I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over.”
    FACT
    Oprah, who has endorsed Obama wholeheartedly, has hosted Obama twice — in January, 2005 and again in October, 2006.

5. KyeMarrell
    Posted September 5, 2008 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

First off, let me comment on your comments:
    “First up, she’s super anti-choice. The forced-pregnancy crowd is thrilled today! (She recently had her fifth child, who has Down’s syndrome.) She’s against marriage equality and supports a federal gay-marriage ban, but has made sure to note that she “has gay friends.” Though she has signed on to same-sex partner benefits. She believes schools should teach creationism. She’s also pretty terrible on environmental issues, and is a huge advocate of drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. Plus, she’s embroiled in a scandal:”
    To be completely honest, I don’t know where the few brain cells you have are. On permanent vacation? We have been so brainwashed by the liberals to believe and depend on them no matter what they say. Palin is super anti-choice, yes, so am I. God creates life for a reason. That’s right, I said God. Not science and “accidental one-night stands”. Perhaps many women who just screw around get pregnant because God possibly wants them to take some sort of responsibility in their life. Instead they just take some money they get from stripping and toss it toward a back-alley abortionist to get rid of their little “life-problem” Who are we to play God when it comes to children? Yes, they are people. Not fetuses. As Palin said in her speech, we live in a world where people say there are many children by very few of a certain species of insect. Let’s throw all our money to save the insect, there will always be more children. What kind of sick thinking is this? In a world where we strive so hard to get laws passed to ban our rights to kill the insects and the fish but we work so hard to give people rights to take lives. Their own children’s lives at that!!! So what if her child has Down’s syndrome? Is that a crime? Should the child be punished due to something outside of his control? I stand and applaud Palin for making the CHOICE to keep her child with the knowledge of difficulty, danger and heartache involved in this boy’s future. She could have made a decision like some other women and choose not to care for that child and give him the special love he deserves. She could have chosen NOT to carry around that extra weight of stress in life but she’s accepted her decisions and choices, even taking on this huge responsibility as future VP. Now that is a TRUE woman! Take notes and learn from her, sweetheart.
    I’m against gay-marriage as well. Good for her! And I think it’s terrific that she has gay friends which shows she’s not against who they are as people but the lifestyle they choose to live. As you said she signed on to same-sex benefits because they ARE people who need them. She isn’t going to treat them like illegal immigrants or undeserving cretins. Open your eyes. Just because you don’t accept what someone chooses or believes, doesn’t mean you can’t help them any way you can. She’s making them equal in the laws, but marriage is a sacred act created by God meant for a male and a female. Maybe you should speak with her gay friends and find out just what they think of her views on that. Do you understand her background and beliefs? I’m Christian and have a few gay friends. It doesn’t mean I support their lifestyle but I’m not going to do everything I can to fight for their rights. I love them and they’re awesome people but I have no obligation to help their cause if I’m against it morally.
    Have we forgotten that this country was founded on religion? When did we forget that? When was that taken from our schools? Look how far we’ve come. God isn’t even allowed to be mentioned in school anymore but Darwin is. Children are going to believe what they believe but this began as a Christian nation and whether people want to believe in God or not, I think Creationism SHOULD be taught. It’s the ONLY thing that ISN’T being taught in schools today!!! How ironic that the only truth now becomes the only lie? No. People are afraid of the truth so they’ve come up with scientific notions and difficult explanations to explain something so simple and yet so difficult to understand. The Bible. Read it. All the answers to all your questions are in there. Give it a try.
    As far as the environmental issues go, I think she’s on the right track. She’s the only person I’ve heard talk who actually has ideas. REAL IDEAS. Real plans. Real strategies. She is a breath of fresh air in the polluted world of politics. I have never been a huge fan of politics simply because I couldn’t stand listening to the democrats drone on and on about their empty promises and lies, promising change then turning around and voting against it in congress. Where Obama and Biden have stumbled, Palin has trod victorious. Obama has campaigned for 18 months. Palin, 5 days. Yet look at the national welcome to her. Democrats are now scared to death because they know they’re done for. Hillary could never hold a candle to Sarah. Hillary is full of muck and scum and the only thing clean about her is her hair. She’s for socialized medicine and who the wants that!? First come first serve and a waiting list for medication? No. Goodbye Hillary. You won’t ever be president as long as Sarah Palin is around. I believe Palin will be the first female president. You can put a period on that.
    The time has come to screw the wildlife refuge. Move them somewhere else because honey, we need that oil. It’s OUR oil. And no animal is going to stand in our way! We’ve become so dependent on foreign power that we, ourselves have been rendered powerless without them. We freak out saying, “What will we do if they cut our oil? Oh no!!” This is God’s good country! He has given us an ABUNDANCE of natural resources to keep us going. Let’s use it! As Palin said in her speech, once again, we need to be self-dependent with American made energy and oil from American factories. Do you understand just how cheap gas will be if we have our own oil? We need to open the reserves while we wait to drill so that we don’t depend on any other country for one more day! GOOD FOR PALIN!!! DRILL DRILL DRILL!!!
    As far as the scandal goes, no. Read up on the actual factual truth instead of reading a one-sided story. The democrats are just running around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for dirt on Palin and will stoop to nothing to smear her good name. Look at her. Listen to her. She’s the mother all mothers look to. Perhaps her brother-in-law did something that needed to be resulted in losing his job? I don’t know. But she would never be involved in scandals involving wrong-doing. A God-fearing and respecting woman does not do those things. Just because the liberals do, doesn’t mean she does.
    Back in college my photography teachers would tell us that during a critique, when they start nit-picking at little details, that’s when you know your work is absolutely beautiful and virtually flawless. And that’s what I see with Palin. From the attack on Palin during her speech with the teleprompter “mishap” to the little jabs at things like her daughters and things as minute as her hair-do (which I thought was absolutely adorable on her, democrats have tried and tried again to pick little things from this beautiful woman because they can’t find any major fault with her. So they must resort to the little things and try to blow them way out of proportion. Notice how she did not miss a beat during her speech? She was well prepared, had notes and is so incredibly comfortable in front of a microphone it’s ridiculous.
    By the way, I loved her hair. It shows that she doesn’t have to try to impress anybody and she still looks beautiful.
    Now, I’m a feminist of some sort but come on people. Get your heads out of your butts and take a whiff of Palin’s fresh air for once. She’s bringing something to the table and it’s not just an entree, it’s an entire 6 course meal!!! So let’s enjoy!!! WOOT!!!

6. Jane Stewart
    Posted September 5, 2008 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

I am pro-choice — I think abortion is wrong but don’t want the government to force a woman to do something they don’t want to.
    I love my two daughters and would never do anything to harm them.
    I am an atheist.
    I am for gay marriages.
    I am for equal pay for equal work among men and women.
    I am independent.
    I am fiscally responsible.
    I am against socialism.
    I am for energy independence.
    I believe we are responsible for our own lives and do not need the government to take care of us.
    I am a moral person.
    I do not need the Democratic party to tell me how to think.
    Once a supporter for Hillary but now she is not in the race I am voting for McCain/Palin.

7. Snidely
    Posted September 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Sarah Palin is the most interesting person in this entire presidential year. A breath of fresh air. A politician who has been many things – mostly not political – in her lifetime. Mother of five. Journalist. Worked with her husband as a commercial fisherman. City council member. Mayor. Governor.
    Obama and Biden are lawyers who have been feeding at the public trough most of their lives. Michelle Obama is a lawyer. I don’t see what these people know about the real world, or people who MAKE things – real, physical things – for a living. They think the word is the reality. They speak about helping working people, but I doubt they know many. Sarah Palin is married to a member of the Steelworkers Union.
    I look for real people to identify with Sarah.

8. vandawn
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 12:40 am | Permalink

Isn’t is enough ladies that a WOMAN for the FIRST TIME in AMERICAN history is one heartbeat away from the presidency? Obama fucked up big time when he dissed Hillary! Biden is an idiot and cannot keep his big mouth shut, he is going to cost him the election. Obama screwed up big time when he chose not to make the obvious choice and BEG Hillary Clinton to be his running mate. She has the experience, the know-how, the BALLS that a lot of these men do not have and McCain has just gone out and found the Republican equivalent. God save us all!!
    The only thing that I unequivocally cannot tolerate about Sarah Palin is the fact that she is pro-life and anti-gay rights. But enough pressure from her sisters, maybe that could be changed, who knows?
    Biden will be Obama’s down fall, you watch. You should all stand behind a woman with conviction, morals and the know how that pulled herself up from PTA mom to Governor, that is quite an accomplishment that I guarantee no one else on this post is making. By the way, not all feminists need to be democrats, by any far means. Sincerity and love to all my sisters in the fight for equality!! We fight still in the year 2008. Why?
    Hillary had it SEALED for us! Otherwise, I would vote for the democratic ticket.

9. Posted September 6, 2008 at 12:59 am | Permalink

It’s pretty disheartening to come to a so called feminist website and find disparaging comments on a woman who has done it all and may very well succeed to one of the highest offices in this country. I guess it only counts if you’re a liberal and not a woman who believes in Christian values. Thank goodness that most Americans love her and know that this kind of cat calling is just sour grapes. Ya’ll that are bad mouthing her are hypocrites. I was once a liberal democrat, but have woken up and decided to think for myself, and am very glad that I left the party. You people disgust me.
    Sarah is a breathe of fresh air. I’m so tired of the media distorting news about her and her family. This woman is a fantastic role model. Thank goodness McCain found her.

10. Halo
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Ooh, yeah- let’s all get behind a woman that would take away our reproductive rights! Oh boy! That’s so keen, so novel, SO REBELLIOUS!
    *yark*
    NO. It’s not enough that she’s a woman… I’m not that stupid! I am not bound by one gender, party, religion, etc. I try my best to support those that would have the courtesy to at least nod to the greater (social) good. Taking away (or attempting to) rights from citizens doesn’t benefit the greater good.
    That is why there is no way in hell I would even dream of supporting this woman. The idea that we should respect her daughters “choice” when she wouldn’t afford us the same luxury is just the last nail in the coffin.

11. kijosa
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 3:27 am | Permalink

My jaw dropped when I heard McCain announce Palin. If they are elected this country will go farther down hill then it already is. First off in their speeches they gave not only did they distort and flat out lie about themselves, but about where Obama stands on certain issues. Palin couldn’t seem to say one sentence without slamming on Obama/Biden. I have talked with others and they said she looked very arrogant. As mayor and Govenor she has fired officials for not agreeing with her. Right now there is an investigation pending on her misuse of power. But she through a fit about jurisdiction and then the only person who could decide jurisdiction went on admin leave with pay with no return date, so now the investigation is on hold. She spent $400,000 of state money on promoting aerial hunting of wolves and bears even it they have babies. Which brings up another investigation about 5 wolf puppies that were murdered because of her. Not only that but she tried to pass a law allowing her to pay hunters $150 for each wolf they killed as long as they brought her a leg. SICK!!! She also told children at their school during a speech that the pipeline was “God’s Will” and they need to pray for it. Isn’t that what fanticals use for their excuse to commit atrocities. I don’t think God would pray for a pipeline that would cause extinction of his own animals and destroy more land. Not only that but the drilling wouldn’t make much if any of a differnece. I am very scared that if McCain is elected we are all SCREWED!!! There are many more issues that McCain/Palin stand on that scare the hell out of me. If they do win, My kids and I will probably end up on the streets cuz we ain’t rich enough. I am so thankful that women in this country are not blinded by the fact that she has boobs!!!

12. kijosa
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 3:43 am | Permalink

This is a information post related to a post by MONI who supports Palin. If you have done any research regarding the drilling in the wildlife refuge then you really wouldn’t of stated what you stated. First of all if the drilling happened in Alaska we wouldn’t see oil for at least 10 years. Second it would only lower the gas prices by a max of 3.5cents a gallon and only account for 7% of our usage, which wouldn’t happen for a minimum of 10 YEARS.. Not only that but the oil companies already have 40 million acres of offshore leases and are only using appx. 4 of those at about 10%. So why don’t they get off their butts and use the other 36 MILLION ACRES they already have. And as far as the refuge…. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!! There is no where else for these animals to go and its our responsiblity as humans to protect them. There are only 350 buluga whales left in the wild and you can’t just move them. Polar Bears are dying rapidly due to habitat destruction and melting. I would like them to be around for my grand children. For you to make a comment about screw the refuge just shows what a low level thinking person would support such a savage, idiotic, heinous politician as this. As far as her child having down dyndrome, so what….. I have a child with a rare auto immune disease and I don’t go toting her around the globe and flaunting her in front of millions to get a vote!! OH and last I don’t side with a party, I side with the human race and The American people.. and McCain/Palin would be a disaster. This has nothing to do with being feminist as much as it has to do with having a brain and common sense……..

13. ilovepalin
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Hello fellow feminists. This is my first time posting on a blog. With all the events of this election campaign, I simply cannot help myself. I have to say that if this race was McCain vs. Clinton, I would have trouble deciding which one to vote for. However, now that it is McCain vs. Obama, my vote is going to McCain. I believe MCCain is an honorable man, and although I don’t agree with him on all the issues, I believe he will try to work with all factions in this country, excluding the extreme right and the extreme left. I also trust his judgment regarding national security, not Obama’s. I think Hillary would have been tougher than Obama, and would have made better decisions. But now that it is McCain vs. Obama, McCain is the one I want “answering the phone at 3 a.m.” Also, I admire Ms. Palin. She is a reformer. She got rid of the Governor’s jet, and the personal chef. If that isn’t proof that she doesn;’t believe in wasting the taxpayer’s money, then I don’t know what is. As far as drilling for oil, alternative technologies are not ready yet. We need energy now. Gas prices are already coming down just because we are talking about drilling. I really don’t believe that Palin would let her beautiful state be trashed during the process of drilling. Also, she boats, fishes and hunts. Boaters happen to love the environment and believe in preserving it — while also letting people enjoy the use of it. I know, because I boat and I vote. Another point, who says you cannot be pro-life and a feminist as well? Does this mean that if you are a staunch Catholic or Christian you cannot be a feminist? Or Muslim, Hindu or whatever faith? Most religions believe in the sanctity of human life, and for the most part, that it begins at conception. As far as I’m concerned government should help women keep their babies, not help them to destroy them. Partial birth abortion is a horror, and should only be done to save the life of the mother. Why would anyone defend this barbaric practice? There are plenty of people out there willing to adopt. What’s next, infanticide? We could follow China’s example in that if we elect Obama, since he admires them so much. I believe and I hope that the McCain/Palin ticket is elected. Since I work 2 jobs, and am therefore considered “rich” by the liberals, I am going to vote for the person who lets me keep more of MY money to use for MY family. Since I also own a home, and when I retire I wish to use the equity in it to help support myself, I am going to vote for the person who will only tax that money at 15% not 35% as the liberals propose. I would like to know what makes them (the liberals) think that they know how to spend MY money better than I know how to spend MY money. With all the entitlement programs in this country, I myself have not benefited from them since I have almost always worked 2 jobs — in order to provide for myself and my family. On the rare occasions when I have asked for help, I have always been told “you make too much money” regardless of the fact that that money was going on the bare necessities and bills. My concern is also that the Democrats have not given us their definition of the “middle class.” At one point I heard the figure $40,000 for a family. Since the average American family right now makes $59,000 per year, that means the average American family is considered wealthy and would need to be taxed more to help those making less than $40,000. With the cost of living the way it is, $59,000 a year doesn’t go very far and the average family will bring home even less the higher taxes are. I also find it difficult to understand why people think government should have its finger in every pie. My view is that the government should be doing things that have to be done collectively, like maintaining an armed force and national defense, maintaining a national highway system and interior infrastructure (which would include ensuring a clean environment, water and food supplies), negotiating trade with foreign countries and other foreign policy. I think that we as a country need to decide if we want to retain free markets, private enterprise and private property ownership, or head towards communism or socialism? The original experiment in this country with socialism was done by the Pilgrims and it failed. It failed because some of the Pilgrims worked harder than the others, and got angry that they were working while others were laying around. This brings me back to the point that I work 2 jobs and wish to keep most of my money, otherwise what is the point of working so hard? Also, private property rights. I bet most people in this country don’t know that the principle of eminent domain was expanded by the liberals on the Supreme Court (a few of them were appointed by Clinton). This means that the liberals expanded the original concept of eminent domain (where the government could seize your property to build a highway or something benefiting the public) to mean that now your local township could seize your property and sell it to a developer in order to increase the tax base in the town or county. I don’t know about you, but I want fair market value (meaning what the developer would sell it for, not some arbitrary figure) for my house when I sell it — and I don’t want an already rich developer making money off my private property. There have been a number of examples of this recently — a whole town in Florida along the intracoastal waterway — they were middle class people, it was a mixed neighborhood, mostly small ranchers, people had lived there 20 years and up — the local township declared it “blighted” so that the houses could be taken and razed by a developer and turned into condos (vacation homes for rich people) and a marina in order to increase the tax base. This is just one example of the middle class in this country having their assets taken away in order to support the government, which would then decide how to spend these people’s hard-earned money (the equity in their homes) since the people are never offered what their property is actually worth. McCain wants smaller government, which means lower taxes. I would think most women would want to keep more of what they earn, the same as I do. One more point — McCain is for school choice. This means you could send your child to the school YOU pick, using a voucher system, you wouldn’t have to send your child to the public school in your area. Many families are being taxed to death to support a broken school system, while still paying to send their own children to a parochial or private school, without any financial assistance from the government. Unfortunately, less and less people can afford to do this. And since I work in a public school, no I don’t believe the system can be fixed just by throwing more money (taxpayer’s dollars) at it. Many public schools already spend more than the parochial schools do, and are still doing a lousy job. I think this election is about whether we, as women, actually trust the government and bureaucrats to take our money and redistribute it as they see fit, or if we are willing to think for ourselves, as true feminists, raising our families while keeping most of our hard-earned money and spending it as we see fit.

14. moni
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I started reading all of the previous posts again just to get a better perspective of all the rants and raves. One post that I read triggered and interesting historical comparison.
    In response to OKRA’s post on Aug 29th – 12;27PM
    She writes..
    “I truly believe John McCain will be the next President. And I suspect that at least once during his presidency (e.g. a heart “episode”), Palin will be considered to be about to step into the Presidency herself. It reminds me of the all times in history women have stepped into the shoes of male predecessors or relatives and gained power in that way. It’s a strange world.”
    Looking back on history, I think FDR and Eleanor during WWII. It is widely accepted that Eleanor was instrumental in assisting FDR and many believe she was actually making important decisions when FDR was not able to due to illness. And with no previous political experience.
    Character, fortitude, commitment,morals, and ethhics are traits that allow us to rise to meet any challenge that arises.
    Just something to consider.

15. Madison
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Obama Campaign Attacks Palin’s Parenting – http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/obama-campaign.html
    “They put their family above their career,” Gutman said. “Your responsibility is to put your family first.”, said Howard Gutman — an original member of the national finance committee for Sen. Barack Obama.
    Apparently if you have children and you have a career it makes you a bad mom! I DON’T THINK SO!
    How many of these types of criticisms are coming out from inside the Obama’s camp after he was praised by MSNBC for being so classy after standing up to the media about attacking her family? In my opinion Obama “pretended” to take the high road and is using his flunkies in the media and on his staff to do his attack work for him. I’m not too surprised, he and his subordinates made several sexist comments when he was up against Hillary.
    As a woman why should I vote for Obama again? Change? The only thing he has shown to me is that he changes his mind daily about the issues as it meets his political needs.
    Being a former Hillary supporter, I am not trying to delude myself that McCain was after my vote when he chose Palin and I was very skeptical of her. At first I was offended that he would think that he could get my vote simply because he had a woman on the ticket. Now, having learned a little more about her and seen her speak, I don’t feel that way anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I think her gender was definitely a factor in why she was chosen, but she’s not just some bimbo (or mom) off the street. She’s earned my respect and my vote in November.

16. Nkwari
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Regarding the post from ilovepalin, I have a hard time believing you are a feminist because you open by saying “Hello fellow feminists….if this race was McCain vs. Clinton, I would have trouble deciding which one to vote for.”
    YOU WOULD HAVE TROUBLE DECIDING WHICH TO VOTE FOR???!!!! that shows you are fake.

17. fathed
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

lol. freaking femi-nazis.”forced pregnancy”?!?! lol, who forced you to have sex? you “guys” crack me up. Wake up, Palin should be your idol.

18. kijosa
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Here are some facts taken from CNN.money. According to EXPERTS not just politicians, McCains plan would help upper-class and businesses with no relief for Middle or lower class citizers. Sounds more like the ole sayins.. Keep the rich rich and the poor poor. Also according to EXPERTS McCain’s tax issues would not effect appx 150 million Americans. Obama’s tax issues would raises taxes for those making $150,000 or more, big businesses, and oil compaines. His ideas would help and lower taxes for middle and lower class americans to help them provide for their families and get on top of things. See factual details below and you decide. Also you can go to CNN.money to see both sides on each issue.
    DEMOCRATS
    Barack Obama
    Would pump $75 billion into the economy via tax cuts and direct spending targeted to working families, seniors, homeowners and the unemployed. The plan also includes $45 billion in reserves that can be injected into the economy quickly in the future if the economy continues to deteriorate. Would provide an immediate $250 tax cut for workers and their families and an immediate, temporary $250 bonus to seniors in their Social Security checks. Would provide an additional $250 tax cut to workers and an additional $250 to seniors if the economy continues to worsen. Would extend and expand unemployment insurance. CNNMoney
    Taxes on oil companies
    Advocates a windfall profits tax on oil companies.
    Has received millions and millions of dollars less then McCain’s campaign.
    Offshore drilling
    Previously was against lifting federal government restrictions on offshore drilling, but appeared to modify his position in an August 1 statement that supported a bipartisan legislative effort that would expand offshore oil drilling. Part of the statement read: “I remain skeptical that new offshore drilling will bring down gas prices in the short-term or significantly reduce our oil dependence in the long-term, though I do welcome the establishment of a process that will allow us to make future drilling decisions based on science and fact.”
    REPUBLICANS
    John McCain
    Would lower the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent. Would allow first-year deduction of equipment and technology investments and establish a permanent research and development tax credit equal to 10 percent of wages spent on R&D. CNNMoney
    opposes a windfall profits tax on oil companies.
    has received millions and millions of dollars from oil company employees to his campaign

19. kijosa
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I do agree that a few things McCain says makes sense, but there are many more views on issues from him that scare the hell out of me and would totally screw a normal person like myself, not only that but his running mate and her ego and her hypocritical views are so twisted that I know she was a horrible choice. I think McCain waited to the last possible minute to choose her so that people would not get the whole truth or info they need on her to make an informative decision instead of a “oh she is female” decision. To many questions keep popping up with not enough answers. That in itself should scare the hell out of everyone. Some of you said she doesn’t spend friviously.. what do you call spending $400,000 of state money to advertise Aerial Hunting? Or authorize an attorney to spend $95,000 to defend her against any accusations. Why would an attorney need that if she is such an Angel fighting corruption? People please use your brains not your ears or your sex!!

20. kijosa
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

One last thing…. I do apologize for some spelling and grammar issues, my children were asking questions and we were playing around while I was trying to proof read. So I am off to go play monopoly with them while I can still afford to. And please please do the research before making uninformed decision that will effect all Americans dramatically. Oh also I read someone said that they were sure Palin wouldn’t do anything to destroy the land in Alaska… you have heard of oil spills haven’t you? How much has that cost Americans to clean up and how much destruction have they caused in the past and how much destruction will they cause in the future. How many animals have to die before people open their eyes? And don’t sit there and say that won’t happen because it has many many many times before. That is fact!!

21. boojygirl
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Wow, this is a lot. It’s interesting that even anti-abortion guys choose to comment on this site. Interesting.
    I have a few comments – actually a ton of comments, Debbie, you don’t see how true feminists (as defined by you) could see the rights of the mother overriding the rights of the fetus. I find that interesting because there are always extenuating circumstances. Would you, for instance, choose to let a mother of 2 or 4 or 5 children die to save a fetus? Just wondering. I mean, safe and legal abortions exist because so many women died prior to R v W. And you can pray to your God to save you, but my God wants me to stay alive to take care of my kids who are currently living and walking around. Just a thought.
    Second, Moni, you say this country was “founded on religion.” This is patently wrong. It was in fact founded on FREEDOM of religion. Better drag out your history texts again and review a little. You wonder who we are to play god? Indeed. Who are we to implant half a dozen eggs into an infertile woman and then call that God’s miracle. Sounds like wonderful, modern science to me. I love it. But you can’t have it both ways. God is in us. You also say that the dems drone on and on and you want to drill, drill, drill. Hopefully, you know enough about climate science to realize that the burning of coal and fossil fuels is killing the planet. You might believe like Palin that it is really just God’s plan. I happen to believe that if the Reeps find a way to drill ANWR which I really think is the true reason they chose Palin in the first place, then all efforts to find alternative fuels will come to a screeching halt. You say that we fight so hard to preserve animal life, but not human life – in fact, it is an ecosystem, an interdependent system. I know, I know, the bible says that we can “use” animals for our own good – what it is, we have dominion over them, right. But, it seems to me, without them, we are diminished. You can’t see that. It doesn’t matter THAT much to me, I will probably be gone before all hell breaks loose. I don’t know about you. Get out your bible and read Genesis I guess.
    vandawn. You think SP is a breath of fresh air? Wow. Is it the air from LA after it hasn’t rained in about a month? I’ve seen that brown crap rise from the valley floors. It’s ugly and it stinks. Why exactly is she a breath of fresh air? Because she’s a woman? Personally, I see her as the perfect Reep candidate. She’s pro-gun, anti-abortion, anti-environment, pro-oil, and like the last 8 years of Bush, she has no experience for the position they’re putting herr up to. She’s unethical (she’s abused her power to try to fire her brother in law and a local librarian who refused to ban the books she found objectionable), she’s snide (yah, like community service is a bad thing), and I feel she uses her family as pawns to further her own goals. Family values? I cannot, in my wildest dreams, imagine even considering even leaving my infant son for a job – I mean really, the kid needs her, really needs her – that is not sexist, it’s reality. Anyway, I think the Reeps got the perfect person to carry on their irresponsible and unethical party into the next 4 years. I just hope that people are smart enough to really look at her and the Bush/Rove/Cheney/etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum policies. I kept think that our country would hit rock bottom. But, like an alcoholic, we haven’t even acknowledged we have a problem yet.
    ilovepalin. Look back in history. Yes FDR and Eleanor were perhaps the best most philanthropic pair to ever grace the whitehouse. BUT, remember that when Reagan lost his mind (and it was earlier than the politicos let on), we were being run by Nancy and that was no fun at all. I mean, if the First Dude has a good astrologer, we might have a chance. But, Palin or her first Dude are SO FAR away from the Roosevelts, they may as well live on the moon. In fact, Eleanor had plenty of experience – community service experience – that Palin so snidely brushed aside when speaking about Obama. Palin should be so giving of herself. But she is already a part of the republican machine. We don’t have a chance with her in there – and grandpa McCain with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. It has nothing to do with sexism. Huston, we have a problem. Please don’t tell me that Palin has morals and ethics. She has character and fortitude. But she is in it for herself and the party. She might already have the chip implanted.

22. boojygirl
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Sorry for my post attributing to the wrong writers. I am new to the site. Please forgive me.

23. kijosa
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Still did a great job on your post boojygirl. Also you made some very good points. I totally forgot about her wanting to ban books and threatening to fire the librarian if she didn’t side with her. That makes three people so far that we know of. Can’t wait till she starts wanting ban or censor movies and other type things that she doesn’t like or she feels is inappropriate instead of letting us make the decision for ourselves. I wonder what she thinks bout “Wizard of Oz” because it has witches in it. I know my sister who is from Alaska and a Christian is the same way she won’t even consider letting her kids watch that movie. She is manipulative, condescending, and will preach Christian views but can’t follow them herself, but will judge others for the same thing.

24. kijosa
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

25. ShifterCat
    Posted September 6, 2008 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

“lol, who forced you to have sex?”
    *Stamps anti-choice bingo card*
    Actually, Sarah Palin doesn’t believe that rape survivors should have access to abortion. So… you were saying?

26. RW
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 1:58 am | Permalink

Sarah Palin does not have an agenda to restrict your choices. To start, she and I believe that you have a choice to prevent an unwanted pregnancy by using redundant measures upfront. I would venture to say she would not want to contain your choice any more than mine—that is, I don’t want to have one cent of my federal or state tax money go toward abortion. If you will honor that, I will honor your rights as a mother. One thing to consider in the argument that it’s a mother’s body, so she has the right to do whatever she wants: Is the fetus at any point part of the mother’s body? Answer: NO. The fetus is a separate living organism that feeds and lives in the mother, but does not contain her exact DNA or structures. It is therefore a separate being and has unique rights. If you could argue that it was the mother’s body instead of just occupying her womb, I would stand with you that you had full rights to dump it into a sink. But, again, it is entirely separate, a unique living (as defined by scientific definition) organism, completely intact Day 1, with every cell and DNA strand that it will ever have.

27. ShifterCat
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 3:09 am | Permalink

“I don’t want to have one cent of my federal or state tax money go toward abortion.”
    So, RW, are you willing to pay to support the offspring of that 40-something percent of unplanned pregnancies? We know Palin isn’t.
    Are you willing to support education programs giving kids accurate and age-appropriate sexual information? Are you willing to support widespread access to contraception? Both of these are proven to help people prevent pregnancy in the first place, but Palin doesn’t like those either.
    Last of all, RW, are you willing to pay the hospital bills of those unfortunate women who couldn’t afford a safe abortion and saw no other option but to try it themselves?

28. Nkwari
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Please read Frank Rich’s article on Palin in the New York Times. Most of what she said in her speech was smarmy lies. But the truth is she didn’t write that speech. It was written by Rove-republicans before she was selected. We really don’t know what she would say if they would let her speak without a script.
    Sarah Palin is entertaining, but that’s it. Is she intellectually up to the job?
    Vote for Obama if you want:
    - abortion to stay legal
    - national healthcare for all
    - less wars (McCain is ready to go to war in Georgia and Iran)

29. boojygirl
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

ShifterCat and Nkwari, Yes, yes, yes. I think people need to really understand that anti-abortionists are not really about an opinion. They are about a religious belief that they think the rest of us just don’t get (because, umm, maybe we are evil in their eyes). I am totally with them in their belief that they have the right to have as many kids as they want, and they can damn me to hell for my beliefs. BUT, they are scary because they don’t seem to believe in equal rights – but that they are RIGHT. People need to understand that during the Bush administration, they very carefully stacked the Supreme Court with anti-abortion justices and if McCain gets in there, they will seal the deal. The Reeps were really pissed at Roosevelt in the 30s and 40s when he started into his third term and they did the same thing to them – stacked the court – it’s a beautiful way to further an agenda – and the Reeps made sure that there were term limits established. So, it’s not about our opinions!!! It’s about rights. It’s what makes this America.
    Anyway, people need to remember Reagan’s policies that gave people rights, not from womb to tomb, but from womb to fresh air. And people need to look at Romania and the awful things that happened there when the state declared abortion illegal. There are plenty of mentally delayed and physically abused Romanians here in the U.S. today that were adopted from the orphanages they were dumped at (and many of them have mental problems because their mothers couldn’t afford to feed them). Some pro-lifers don’t see a problem with this, but I, personally want to see an end to human suffering. My God doesn’t give me extra credit for suffering.
    As for war, man. I lived through Vietnam and I just can’t stand what the Bush administration did to us here. I remember Rumsfeld saying, “What do you think we want to do, get into another Vietnam?” Uh, I guess. So, family values. Abortion is murder, but killing adults is ok as long as they are bad guys. Hmmmm. I guess I was born without that logic gene that can’t make that jump.

30. moni
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

First of all I will tell you that I am opposed to abortion based on my religious beliefs. I believe that life begins at conception.
    I also am against capital punishment and I firmly believe in birth control and quality sex education.
    1. We abolished slavery, and a hundred years later abolished segregation, despite the fact that many people in the country wanted to keep these evils.
    2. We have made spousal abuse a crime, despite that fact that some cultures believe it is entirely permissable for a man to beat his wife.
    If Biden and Obama were willing to assert that they definitely did not believe that embryos and fetuses are human beings, they would at least have a consistent moral position. But as it stands, their position is nonsensical, and they are advocating that the life of the Mother is paramount over the fetus.
    From my perspective, in brutal terms, abortion (the taking of a life) is equivalent to murder.
    Times have changed since Roe Vs Wade and a single woman being pregnant or a single mother is not usual nor condemned in today’s society. Young women have numerous support and options, financial and emotional to assist them from Churches, charitable organizations, and government organizations. More should be done to prevent unwanted pregnancies such as education with the overall goal to reduce and eliminate abortions altogether.
    We are not in India where reports have been generated about females being aborted and males not. We are not Romania where assistance is limited if not non-existent so let’s not get extreme.
    If we can agree that a woman should have a choice, why not work together to provide the best choices for her and her baby. Abortion should not be used as a method of birth control.
    BTW …
    Some significant births that would not have been born under todays’ society….
    1. Confucius
    According to the first complete biography of Confucius, the Shiji, his dad, a warlord named Shu Liang He, and his mom, a member of the Yan clan, “came roughly together,” indicating either a rape, concubinage, or some other sort of extramarital shenanigan.
    2. Leonardo da Vinci
    The son of a notary, Ser Piero, and a peasant girl of somewhat “easy virtue.”
    3. Thomas Paine
    Result of an extra-marital affair
    4. Alexander Hamilton
    the illegitimate son of West Indian colonials
    5. Lawrence of Arabia
    The illegitimate son of a knight and his children’s nanny
    6. Eva Perón
    Daughter of an adulterous relationship between two villagers in an impoverished part of Argentina
    Just something to consider……

31. landlover
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

“The forced-pregnancy crowd is thrilled today”
    Just because someone doesn’t believe you should kill your baby, doesn’t mean they want to force you to do anything. No matter who is elected, no matter how you vote, your precious ability to kill your child will always always always be there for you! You can dredge up the dreaded coathanger stories til the cows come home, nobody is going to change the abortion laws. Millions and millions of dead children prove that America will get to keep what America wants! =)

32. landlover
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

And it is cute how some think Palin was only chosen because she is a woman. Obama was chosen because of his skin color. He is a lawyer that can read a speech…what is special about this? Nothing.

33. boojygirl
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

moni,
    Honest, I don’t know why I am engaging in conversation with you, as you come off as terribly self-righteous. You say, “Millions and millions of dead children prove that America will get to keep what America wants!” I say that to believe that the right to choose will always be there is naive at best. How old are you?? For cryin out loud, I don’t know the exact dates, but Roe v. Wade is less than 40 years old. And you and I both know that the politicians (at least the far right) are beholden to special interest groups – and anti-abortionists are one of the most vocal. In turn, this means stacking the supreme court, which in turn could very well mean turning back the clock. Palin says she’ll vote against abortion even in cases of rape and incest. So does McCain. Nice.
    It’s clear that you feel superior to me, but I believe that immediately after a sperm and an egg are joined and fertilization takes place, it is simply mitosis, plain and simple biology. In biological terms, when you have a spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), it is generally a mass of tissue. It looks nothing like a baby to me, so I don’t call it a baby. You can go ahead and fawn over it and mourn over it. And believe me, I have mourned over pregnancies I’ve lost. But I don’t appreciate your name calling or even insinuating that you are right and I’m a pile of crap. I can almost see your sneer when you say that I can “keep my precious ability to kill my child.” It is pretty disheartening. You seem to consider yourself superior in your moral values, which is disrespectful at best. So, I will no longer respond to you. Instead, I will go over and beat my head against the wall.
    You don’t believe in the coathanger “theory” as you call it and so I think you are too young to have been around when women actually did that – or they went to abortion doctors (generally unlicensed butchers), afraid that they wouldn’t be coming home or bleeding to death after they came home. It was a terrible time, but you don’t seem to know, remember, believe, or care. You just want to point to millions and millions of dead children. Why don’t you dredge up the statistics on the number of women who died when abortion was illegal. Find out how many of those women already had children and left them motherless. Do you care? Look, it’s ugly. Life is ugly. It’s also beautiful. Your list of famous and significant people who were illegitmate is impressive. However, remember infamous people should be added to your list too – people like Charles Manson – born out of wedlock to a promiscuous teenager and raised by his grandmother, Ted Bundy, same thing. You can call us murderers or whatever name you like. But stop being condescending. It’s rude. It is not MY precious ability to kill “my” unborn child that I’m afraid of losing. I’m afraid for the millions of other women who will get abortions regardless of the laws. You balk at calling me or my fellow supporters murderers, but your contempt is barely veiled.
    I am not going to respond to you anymore. I will read your retort, but I can’t take you anymore. As all anti-abortionists, you seem to believe that you have a market on the truth.

34. boojygirl
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

landlover,
    Wow, I don’t think Palin was chosen only because she was a woman. In fact, I think the Reeps picked the perfect candidate for many reasons, just one of them being that she is a woman. She’s anti-abortion, she’s pro-gun and a member of the NRA, she’s the queen of earmarks and beholden to big oil (even though she claims she fought against the good ole boys – she’s just a good ole girl), she’s unethical (and is already being investigated for abuse of power), vindictive, and a perfect party pick. Also, Rove seems to be eerily present in this pick. She is hitting all the political groups that the Reeps want to reel in – women, anti-abortion, NRA, oil, special needs. I think they did an EXCELLENT job picking her. She, at least superficially, represents everything that they think voters want. In fact, they have one goal – get your vote. They’ve done their polls, they have their target. YOU are their voters. Go for it! But, learn to live with the outfall…
    So, you think that Obama was chosen because of the color of his skin? How cute! But, you think it’s cute that some people think that Palin was chosen because she’s a woman. Get a clue. All of them are reading from a teleprompter. They all have speech writers. She, in fact, is very comfortable with a teleprompter and from accounts I’ve read, the speech was prepared months in advance. So what? business as usual. What is special about her. Nothing. In fact, I’m creeped out that she has less education than me. As Groucho Marx said, “I wouldn’t belong to any organization that would have me as a member.”
    She reminds me of David Niven’s “Being There.” We’ll just go out and get Chauncy Gardener to run the country. He likes to watch TV.

35. moni
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

boojygirl……….
    Wow! I just re-read my post I do not see anything in my text that indicates to me self-righteousness. I just stated my opinion, which I believe is still one of my rights.
    I did not mention anything about
    1. “millions and millions of dead children…” as you mention. Would you please clarify (if you wish to do so) how you got that from my comment?
    2. Please indicate where this “coat hanger” theory comes? Certainly not from my post.
    3. Where did you read anything regarding “name calling” or “that you are a pile of crap”?
    Regarding your comment that somehow it is clear that I feel superior to you, how do you come to that conclusion? I believe that life begins at conception. You do not. I can respect that. We are entitled to our beliefs and our opinions.
    I can only assume and you do consider a fetus be become human at some time. It would be interesting to me to know your position as to when that is.
    I happen to respect people who live up to their beliefs regardless whether I agree with them or not. What I find difficult to accept is hypocrisy when one believes in one thing but accepts another. In my opinion, Biden and Pilosi are hypocrites since they state that life begins at conception but have Pro-Choice positions. However, Obama is not being hypocritical since he has not stated that life begins at conception. I believe I read something where he stated “it was above his pay grade” to make that determination.

36. Shannon
    Posted September 7, 2008 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Feminist should be happy we have a woman VP that even has a chance. This is the first one. Atleast try to be somewhat supportive even if she isn’t your favorite choice. Not all feminist are Democrats. You are knocking out a whole group of women when you knock out the Republicans and the Palin supporters. We don’t have to all agree on everything, but we should atleast band together as women trying to make a change in the world for the better. That IS what we have in common.

37. kijosa
    Posted September 8, 2008 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Ok first off peeps, there are more issues on the table then abortion. Second of all we keep letting the government take our choices away and we won’t have any. Third of all if you don’t know the facts then please research before you start chanting the Woman thing.
    Shannon, do you know anything about Palin? Obviously not considering your comment. You need to look at the issues and Palin’s past. Wanting to burn books, firing those who don’t agree with her or do what she says, outrageous spending to advertise aerial hunting, and other shady tactics. Also one of McCains reps more or less admitted that Palin will not answer reporters questions, because she shouldn’t have to. We shouldn’t have to know the truth, we should just vote for her because she is a woman. DO YOUR RESEARCH!
    Some of you say Palin would never restrict our choices…. ummmmmm have you research her past? As a matter of fact the citizens of Alaska were suppose to put aerial hunting to a vote, but Palin herself postponed the vote, and if she can keep it postponed the citizens won’t have a right to vote on it after the deadline. Burning books, isn’t that her trying to take people’s choices away? Come on people take off the blinders and open your eyes before you help destroy this Nation even more!!
    RW posted:”Sarah Palin does not have an agenda to restrict your choices. To start, she and I believe that you have a choice to prevent an unwanted pregnancy by using redundant measures upfront. I would venture to say she would not want to contain your choice any more than mine—” Just to clarify what would you consider then if she makes a law banning abortion? Ok so now our choices have been “contained”(as you put it) And how are we going to deal with all the unwanted children that are born? Who is going to love them, support them, and take care of them, YOU? We already have tons of children who are unwanted for one reason or another…. so HELL why not lets add some more…. OR better yet, the mother keeps them locked up in a closet and beats them, feeds them if she remembers and is not high on something….. great idea, she should definitly keep her pregnancy going. Not like there isn’t enough abuse in the world. The choice should be ours not a Public official. Just like the type of book we read should be ours. And also that when we ask are Politicians a question they should have to answer, not hide behind a smile and refuse. The Constitution says “We the People” NOT ” We the people, if its ok with the politician”.
    I have to say in all I am very disturbed and saddened by how people can be manipulated by a smile, the hair, the glasses, being woman, and not even bother to look at ALL the facts, not just what is convient for you to use. Of course unless you are super rich and then I could see how you would be fighting for McCain/Palin.

38. Terri
    Posted September 8, 2008 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I just saw Palin on CNN live with her buddy Mccain. Gag me with a spoon! Repeats, repeats,repeats. More of the same speeches, nothing about what or how they are going to fix this mess the coutry is in. It seemed that Palin was losing her edge a bit? Anyway I just realized that the crowd was cheering really loud, and it reminded me of the Obama crowds. I think they are imitating their opponents. A form of flattery? I do not know , but something to ponder. I think they are just desperate.

39. cdmcky
    Posted September 8, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I agree that Palin has some bad stands on issues we think differently about, but I also think it would be better in the long run to get a woman in the highest position of power possible to open the door for others who are more in line with our
    positions. The wall needs to come down for all women, and any victory for us is a good thing.

40. puckalish
    Posted September 8, 2008 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

cdmcky,
    really? it would be better in the long run to get an anti-choice, creationist, aerial-hunting, social-programs-cutting, and on and on woman into the second-highest office in the land…?
    i mean, really? so, the short term costs of committing to 100 years of being in iraq, possibly going to war with iran, further destabilizing our economy, destroying our already-weak social structure, winding back law enforcement and race issues 50 years and so forth would be outweighed by little bigoted girls growing up knowing that they, too, can be VP if they’re willing to be tokenized by a political machine that sees them as little more than low wage babymakers?
    really?
    this would not, on any level, be a victory. except, of course, for those who are adept at consolidating power and wealth at the expense of the rest of us (you know, working folks of all races and genders)…

41. Posted September 8, 2008 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

You’re right she’s a woman and she’s great for the republicans but you are so wrong about women running after her. She scares those who would have voted for Clinton. We don’t all follow the vagina where ever it goes.
    Sarah Palin: How John McCain Got His Groove BackShe gave them the one thing McCain’s campaign needed: their base.View more »

42. mgmtx72
    Posted September 8, 2008 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I have to admit, I’m a sucker for beautiful women, and Sarah Palin, although I’m not a Republican, has to be the most attractive, smartest, and most courageous woman I have ever seen in politics. This has already been a very interesting election year, but Palin has electrified it! McCain in my view, made an unexpected but extremely clever choice when he picked Palin. Obama, Biden, good luck trying to pick on her, but that won’t work, she is the real deal, but I’m still with you! Still, may the best man win! The woman on the McCain ticket already has!

43. moni
    Posted September 8, 2008 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

FACTCHECK
    False Internet claims and rumors fly about McCain’s running mate.
    Summary
    We’ve been flooded for the past few days with queries about dubious Internet postings and mass e-mail messages making claims about McCain’s running mate, Gov. Palin. We find that many are completely false, or misleading.
    * Palin did not cut funding for special needs education in Alaska by 62 percent. She didn’t cut it at all. In fact, she tripled per-pupil funding over just three years.
    * She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a “What if?” question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin’s first term.
    * She was never a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a group that wants Alaskans to vote on whether they wish to secede from the United States. She’s been registered as a Republican since May 1982.
    * Palin never endorsed or supported Pat Buchanan for president. She once wore a Buchanan button as a “courtesty” when he visited Wasilla, but shortly afterward she was appointed to co-chair of the campaign of Steve Forbes in the state.
    * Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska’s schools. She has said that students should be allowed to “debate both sides” of the evolution question, but she also said creationism “doesn’t have to be part of the curriculum.”
    A few of these claims were included in a chain e-mail by a woman named Anne Kilkenny (Democrat)

44. childofthesixties
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 1:17 am | Permalink

WOW! I expected to read a lively and intelligent discussion of the issues that Sarah Palin represents and am offended that the legacy of the feminist movement is that some who say they support feminism actually attack a woman in such a personal and hateful way! Many of these posts are not rational at all.
    The posts above certainly fall short of the ideals stated in the About Us section of this site.
    We view Feministing as a platform for not only discussion among feminists and allies, but for reaching (rational, not hateful) people who may not agree with every word we write. However, we require that discussion in comments should be respectful and be directed toward the ideas and argument, not the person. All comments with hate speech, personal attacks, or offensive language will be deleted.
    Forget McCain and the Republican Party for a moment… forget that you do not agree with all that Sarah stands for or believes in. Applaud her for making strides in politics as a woman! Currently only eight women serve as governors of the 50 states in America – hardly representative of the female population in the US. Sarah Palin works hard and deserves recognition as an intelligent woman who is raising a family and holding an accomplished position in government.
    Now… most of us just met Ms. Palin last week. We do know she is pro-life (not pro-choice as many of us are) and conservative in her politics – again different than many here. However, from what I have read, she has integrity and is not afraid to speak her mind — John McCain may have more than he bargained for! If you are a democrat, it is no surprise that you are not ‘for’ Sarah Palin. But it is a shame to hear people discount her ‘because’ she is a woman! During the sixties and seventies, it was women who did the gravest disservice to each other, looking down on each other when their viewpoints did not entirely agree. Degrading a candidate because she is a woman is simply ridiculous. we would be outraged if (and when) people criticized Hillary based on her gender – or when they treated her differently because of gender – that is a divisive maneuver, unworthy of any true feminist.
    Feminists belong to Republican, Democrat, and Independent parties. Rarely does any candidate mirror a voters views on every single issue.
    As for experience, both Palin and Obama are shy of experience – isn’t that why we think Obama is capable of creating change? Perhaps Palin in her own right has a new direction for politics as usual in the Republican party?
    Challenge Palin’s policies, challenge her views, and challenge her legislation. Do not stoop so low as to challenge her because she is a female or has a pretty face – oh my goodness – talk about chauvinist!!

45. ShifterCat
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 2:28 am | Permalink

@moni: I think boojygirl was mixing your posts and landlover’s together.
    “I believe that life begins at conception. You do not… I can only assume and you do consider a fetus be become human at some time.”
    Hey, I’ll agree that human blastocysts and embryos are alive, and that they’re genetically human. But they’re not sapient beings. I just can’t shed any tears over something that doesn’t even have a brain stem.
    As to when the soul arrives, that’s 1. unprovable and 2. been hotly disagreed upon even by members of the same religion. So that should have no impact on the law.
    What about fetuses, you might ask? Fetuses are aborted in cases like this.
    “I firmly believe in birth control and quality sex education.”
    Then you should bear in mind that Sarah Palin — like the vast majority of American anti-abortionists — isn’t. She doesn’t want people to have the proper information and resources to prevent pregnancy, and even for those teen mothers who have chosen to keep their babies, she won’t support programs to help them get back on their feet.
    If you want fewer actual abortions to occur, you’re better off with the pro-choice position. Seriously.

46. moniquenchi
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 10:29 am | Permalink

What’s the difference between Sarah Palin and Bush? Just lipstick!
    After voting 90% with Bush, McCain decided he needed a V.P. just like Bush. He found Bush with lipstick on Sarah Palin: another inexperienced fanatic religious brainless hawk, who can’t even pronounce “nuclear”.

47. jodykuch
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

When first hearing about McCain’s choice of Palin for running mate, I too thought “what a desperate move”. Yet, obviously McCain and the Republicans are getting a lot of mileage out of this woman.
    It is difficult for a feminist to take shots at Palin. On the one hand, feminists want to support the advancement of women in every field of career.
    Yet Palin’s personal life has to be questioned, examined and made a point of.
    Ms Palin has made some tough choices in her life, that too is obvious. Kudos to her for standing firm for what she wants to do.
    But didn’t she want to be a wife and mother as well as beauty queen, cover girl, gun toting hockey mom, and politician?
    It is a juggling act to balance home and career.
    Here is the rub, and I am not ashamed to say it:
    Palin has obviously taught her children what is expected of them as her offspring. Doubtless, Gov. Sarah’s religious views have been passed to her kids. Given that, it is an act of rebellion, or ignorance (abstinence anyone?) for her 17 year old daughter to become pregnant.
    All teens rebel to some extent. Yet, the child who willfully expresses their own autonomy in the face of a parents wishes, does so for a purpose. Is that purpose a desire for affection/attention that might have been lacking in a home with a mom
    too busy fighting for her own agenda to give a teenager what she needed to stay on track, get an education and become as independent as her mother?
    Gov. Palin knew her daughter was pregnant at the time she accepted John McCain’s offer of the Vice Presidential nominee.
    Governor Palin has chosen to sacrifice her daughter (and family) on the altar of ambition.
    I know whereof I speak; I too gave birth to a child as an unmarried teen. Forty years later, I still hear about how I “disgraced” my family, my mother.
    Bravo for autonomous women; thumbs down to those who spread themselves so thin, that they find it difficult to fully devote themselves to those things to which they’ve committed.

48. childofthesixties
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

jodykuch – First let me say that my heart goes out to you for bearing the unwarranted burden of being told you ‘disgraced’ your family and your mother. Families are supposed to be your safe haven, supportive and guiding throughout life’s ups and downs. I speak to this issue from the reverse perspective, as a mother. In our family we had three girls, each bright and articulate. Each raised with a loving family atmosphere and strong values. Our girls had long conversations with us about their lives and their aspirations. Both my husband and I were there for our daughters and time and again they felt comfortable seeking our guidance and love during challenging situations. Were we disappointed when our eldest, college-going daughter became pregnant despite her upbringing? Sure. It would be a lie to say we were not. Yet, we rallied around, offering support, love, and care to our daughter. We were thrilled to welcome our first grandchild into the world and love them both dearly to this very day! Years later, our younger daughter – focused and career-driven – our most level-headed child – found herself in a relationship and though once told she could never have children, was blessed with a child — he is a true gift!
    The choices our children make do not always mirror the values and guidance they grew up with. Sometimes, they do not reflect the values they hold. Thank goodness we recognize that we are all human, capable of errors in judgment and worthy of understanding and love.
    I am sure that Sarah & Todd Palin did not desire that their daughter be pregnant and unmarried, especially at such a young age. Yet they are to be commended for showing love and support to their daughter and her boyfriend. That their daughter is embarking on adulthood and becoming a parent does not mean that Sarah and Todd should put their lives on hold. One can be committed and loving – and still accomplish many goals.

49. Madison
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Obama Compares Palin to a Pig – http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/09/mccain-camp-accuses-obama-of-comparing-palin-to-a-pig/
    “John McCain says he’s about change, too, and so I guess his whole angle is, ‘Watch out George Bush.’ Except for economic policy, health care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy and Karl Rove-style politics … That’s not change. That’s just calling something the same thing, something different,” Obama said.
    “But you know … you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig.”
    This comment was clearly directed at Sarah Palin and seems to me that he is referring to her as a pig. What is Barack Obama’s problem with women anyway? First Hillary now Gov. Palin.
    FYI – Just in case you’ve been living on another planet, Palin frequently jokes that “lipstick” is the difference between a hockey mom like herself and a pitbull.

50. ShifterCat
    Posted September 9, 2008 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

A little note, childofthesixties: you say that it’s a bad thing for a girl to be “…pregnant and unmarried, especially at such a young age.” I would say only that it’s a bad thing to be pregnant at seventeen — but pregnant or not, it’s a really bad idea to be married at seventeen. You can’t help being legally tied to the child that came out of your body; but seventeen is just plain too young to be forging legal ties that you might have to messily extricate yourself from later.
    Now, I have no problem with kids getting engaged in their teens and married in their twenties; that’s a way of showing commitment without forging a legal bond.