Weekly Feminist Reader

ICE raided a garment factory in Houston, and over 70 percent of those arrested were women.
The FDA chose not to approve Gardasil, the HPV vaccine, for women ages 27 to 45. This doesn’t mean women those ages can’t get it — it just means your insurance is not likely to cover it.
Megan McArdle says guns are a feminist issue. Jill at Feministe, Megan at Jezebel, and Dana at TAPPED tell her why she’s not quite right.
Read Renee over at Feministe on race and gender, and then check out Think Girl’s petition to stop the false race/gender divide.
A Southern Baptist scholar says domestic violence is a result of wives’ failure to submit to their husbands.
The Frisky weighs in on a modeling competition for women with disabilities.
Male members of Phoenix golf club are harassing those who protest the no-girls-allowed policy.
Actions and Events
The Hip Hop Culture Center in Harlem is holding Rapathon 3: The Female Takeover. The Rapathon is a 24-hour cipher that features over 100 rappers who rhyme non stop with no vulgarities…. Our objective this time is to amass over 100 female MCs with hot lyrics, great energy, and stage presence… For more info, please contact Natassia Seward at 212-234-7171 or hiphopculturectr@aol.com

1. Newbomb Turk
    Posted June 29, 2008 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

If this douchecock should ever get mugged and beaten to a pulp, I hope someone reminds him that it was his refusal to submit that caused the attack.

2. FemiDancer
    Posted June 29, 2008 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

And my aunts wonder why I don’t think Christianity is a good religion because women are considered inferior.

3. Citizen Lane
    Posted June 29, 2008 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

It’s good to read someone tackling the myth that gun ownership makes anyone safer.

4. aliceinreality
    Posted June 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

so the argument against guns being an issue for women to be concerned with is that women are not traditionally concerned with guns?

5. Kaylee
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I consider myself a liberal and yet I shoot. Why? It started out as research in a “know your enemy” sort of way. I learned how to shoot and how to safely clean and store guns and such. I found out it was actually fun to go to the shooting range, where there are very strictly enforced rules of conduct, and shoot at targets. Later I learned about competitive shooting, although I’m surely not good enough to participate. Shooting is one of the few Olympic sports where women compete against men. And for women in certain countries it is the only sport in which they are allowed to compete internationally because there is no real dress code and everyone can dress any way they want. In this regard I believe that it is a feminist issue.

6. Kaylee
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Heh. I tried commenting, then correcting, but the comments somehow got lost in cyberspace.
    Guns are a feminist issue. Shooting is one of the few Olympic sports where women from around the world, including the more oppressive countries, are allowed to compete because there is no specific dress code. It’s a sport requiring precision and accuracy that anyone can do, but only a few can do well, much like archery. Here’s more info on the Olympic events: http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/programme/index_uk.asp?SportCode=SH

7. Maggie
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

“Ware also touched on a verse from First Timothy saying that women “shall be saved in childbearing,” by noting that the word translated as “saved” always refers to eternal salvation.”
    I’m at work so I don’t have my Greek bible on me, but if the verb he’s referring to is swzw, then he’s a dipshit. It means “save” in the same way that the English word “save” means it. It has lots of different applications, to rescue, to preserve, to remember, etc. Dude needs to find a copy of Liddell and Scott and actually look up the usage of words before he makes statements about them. The Bible isn’t the only text ever written in Greek.
    That said, knowing Timothy I, his interpretation probably isn’t that far off. Sadly. Still, though, as a biblical scholar it makes me cringe to see closedminded, sheltered asses like this called “scholars.” SBTS is definitely not on my list of PhD applications.

8. Maggie
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

I’m at work so I don’t have my Greek Bible handy, but if the verb he’s referring to is swzw, then he’s a dipshit. It means “save” the same way the English word does: sure, eternal salvation, but also rescue, preserve, remember, etc. In the New Testament it might possibly only be used the way he says, but I’m not even sure about that. Dude needs to find a copy of Liddell and Scott and look up word usage before he makes sweeping statements. The New Testament isn’t the only group of texts ever written in Greek, and it’s not even that great an example of the language.
    That said, knowing Timothy I his interpretation probably isn’t far off, sadly. Still, though, as a Bible scholar myself, it makes me cringe when closedminded asses who have no idea how to do research get called “scholars.” SBTS is soooo not on my list of PhD applications.