Repro Rights Conference this weekend!

The Civil Liberties and Public Policy Program at Hampshire College is having a fabulous conference this weekend on reproductive rights and health. Not only does it have some amazing speakers attending, it’s also free to attend and has free housing opportunities.
I wish I could be there, but if anyone goes – report back to us!

1. Shirl
    Posted March 31, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I’m going, this is my third year there in a row. Such an awesome conference and atmosphere. I am bringing two members from my campus group, Women of Action, too. oh, so excited!

2. feministorbust
    Posted March 31, 2008 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I work at a Women’s Studies Center and am bringing three students :) It’s my fourth time going and I can’t wait! So energizing!!

3. Commodore08
    Posted March 31, 2008 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

I went last year, and I’m so sad I can’t afford to go this year! (I know it’s free, but airfare is not! Last year I had a boss who paid for me to go. I’m not so lucky this year. A side note for any organizers of other feminist conferences who may be reading, please PLEASE prioritize making them as affordable as possible. Even when they’re free, cost is a barrier, so you can imagine how inclined I am to go to conferences with registration fees on top of the transportation and housing costs)
    It was really such a wonderful conference and group of women. One of the only times in my life I’ve felt like I was around more than a few people who shared my values, both political and otherwise. The organizers and all the wonderful Hampshire ladies who volunteer are just amazing. If anyone has the opportunity to go, I really strongly recommend it.

4. Posted March 31, 2008 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Yeah, it’s pretty much the most amazing conference there is. About 1000 people came last year, and they’re expecting somewhere around 1100 people this year. It’s gonna be incredible.
    (what? just because my roommate is the co-coordinator doesn’t mean i’m biased…)
    FYI to those who couldn’t afford transportation: there ARE limited transportation stipends available each year. If you contact CLPP early on – like, when they open registration (usually January) – you at least have a chance of getting some help in getting here to western MA. And to clarify: the free housing is with rockin’ Hampshire kids, and the free food is actually really, really good…
    Ok, that’s it for my plug.
    For those of you who can’t make it this year, I hope to see you there next year!

5. Lisa27
    Posted March 31, 2008 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

I’m going too! This will be year 3 in a row for me. I’m driving down from Ottawa (via Montreal) if anyone wants to join me – usually there is a ride board on the conference site but not this year. I’m looking forward to a great weekend!

6. gingerakimbo
    Posted April 1, 2008 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

This will be my first time attending and I am super excited!

7. gingerakimbo
    Posted April 1, 2008 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

This will be my first time attending and I am super excited!

8. gingerakimbo
    Posted April 1, 2008 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

This will be my first time attending and I am super excited!

9. Flamio Forelli
    Posted October 30, 2009 at 1:06 am | Permalink

On 31st January 1957 the Arts Section iniziated a “Prize-winning Contest between artists of Italian nationality for the poster intended to exalt the Games of the XVII Olympiad”. The proclamation stipulated that the designs entered should represent an allegory containing the following essential elements:
    a) the idea of Olympic sport at Rome:
    b) the five Olympic rings;
    c) the wording “Games of the XVII Olympiad—Rome—MCMLX”.
    The 16th July 1957, on the proposal of the Arts Committee, the Examining Jury was appointed under the Chairmanship of Mr. Roberto Roberti, President of the Italian Professionals and Artists Union and composed of Prof. Carlo Giulio Argan, art critic, Mr. Mino Maccari, painter, Mr. Domenico Purificato, painter, Prof. Alfredo Lalia, commercial artist, representative of the Italian Advertising Federation, Dr. Marcello Garroni, Secretary-General of the Games, Dr. G. B. Fabjan, Vice-Secretary General of the Italian National Olympic Committee and Dr. Romolo Passamonti.
    212 competitors, with 249 designs, were entered for the contest. By an announcement of 9th August 1957, the Jury found that none of the works presented was in line with its requirements and decided not to award any prize.
    At the same time it suggested that a second competition be held, announcing the names of twelve poster artists as competitors. The conclusions of the Jury were approved by the Arts Committee and, subsequently on 5th November 1957, also by the Presidency of the C.O.N.I.
    The same Jury examined the works of the seven participants in the competition out of the twelve invited, i.e. Erberto Carboni, Carmelo Cremonesi, Augusto Favalli, Paolo Garretto, Marcello Nizzoli, Saverio Pozzati, Gian Rossetti, Armando Testa, Pino Tovaglia, Dante Vernice, Luigi Veronesi and Franco Grignani and, by its announcement of 10th January 1958, judged the work of Armando Testa of Turin to contain the best artistic solution of those presented by the seven participants. However, when the vote of the Jury was passed for ratification to the Executive Committee of the C.O.N.I., this latter body, in its meeting of 22nd January 1958, was of the opinion that the design in question did not completely fulfil their requirements and authorised the awarding of the prize, at the same time inviting the Arts Section to seek an arrangement with some highly qualified Italian cars for the elaboration of the design.