Stalking is SO soap opera drama.

A woman who filed a restraining order against former boyfriend and present Republican candidate was pressured by the Republican party to drop it.
Ali Hasan was in the midst of his campaign when Alison Miller and his relationship ended, after which, according to Miller, Hasan hired a company to hack into her email accounts to find out here whereabouts as well as harassed her. “He followed me to intimidate me and control how I handled the situation,” said Miller, also a Republican, stated in the court documents.
Chairman of the Eagle County Republican Party, Randy Milhoan, implied that the story was concocted as a campaign smear, which is also what the Hassans are claiming. “The whole thing is just crazy. You couldn’t have scripted a story more cleverly than this one,” says Milhoan. Hence the article title, “GOP candidate in a ‘crazy’ soap opera drama.”
Yeah, because stalking just seems just so outrageous! And a Republican woman to file a restraining order against her own kind?? Pshhh.
After Hasan hired Kobe Bryant’s law firm and local party officials began telling her she was “embarrassing the Republican party,” Miller decided not to move forward with a permanent restraining order. Criminal charges may still be filed by the district attorney.
Let’s all say it together now: Stalking is a very real and serious problem. To brush it off as some melodrama and shame a woman for trying to protect herself is what the Republican party of Eagle County should be embarrassed by.

1. Posted March 28, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Wow. His mom’s statement was the most infuriating to me:
    “I’m really disappointed first of all as a Republican,” she said. “Alison herself says she’s a Republican. . . . We opened our house to her…My feeling as a Republican is, gosh, if you can’t trust a young Republican, who can you trust?”
    Because a nice Republican girl would never snitch on her Republican (ex)boyfriend!

2. ellestar
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I have a theory. It may be completely wrong, but in my brain right now, it’s making sense.
    My theory is that young women, before or as they decide their political affiliation, are hearing much bluster from the politicians, lobbyists, and other right wing media about how sexual assault and gender issues are not as prevalent as is now being reported. Based upon this, maybe young women turn to right wing politics thinking that the affiliation will protect them from sexual violence and discrimination.
    If they’re around people who deny its existence, then maybe it won’t exist for these young women who choose to become Republicans.
    I’m trying not to overgeneralize, though. I’m sure there are some Republicans (somewhere) who don’t deny that sexual assault levels are as high as reported. And I’m not saying that women go into the Republican party consciously thinking, “This way, I won’t get raped.” I know upbringing and schooling have a lot to do with political affiliation.
    But I just can’t shake the thought that somehow, young Republican woman would prefer a political party that generally dismisses women’s sexual assault claims because they would prefer to live in a world where they weren’t as vulnerable to sexual assault, themselves.
    I’m sure it was quite a shock for Alison Miller (above) to find that, yes, she still is vulnerable, and yes, the party she has aligned herself with is notorious for denying violence against women and often blaming women when violence has undisputably occurred.
    Does that make sense?

3. Jen
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Ellestar:
    Interestingly, I’ve found it the opposite way around. Liberal men, many of which affiliate themselves with the Democratic party to cash in on the trendiness of it, don’t seem to have any issues bringing out the good old sexism routine as soon as women want to talk about “women’s issues”. I’ve found that conservative men are the most likely to ignore me, or admit that they don’t have much of an idea what I’m talking about. Oddly, it’s the liberal men that fly into hysterics if I even mention the fact that men rape women or make vague generalizations about violence against women and include the criminal in the equation, which is very likely a man.
    My theory is that conservative men are comfortable in their masculinity. They might not respect women’s opinions, and think that a woman’s place is in the home, but they will not go out of their way to objectify women. Usually, there is some sort of chivalry code in Republicans that make them less likely to call me a whore to my face or to go through Sorority girls like tissues.
    The conclusion here is that liberal men embrace the sexual revolution: they want women to be free and slutty as them (see: SuicideGirls, Feminist strippers, etc). When it comes to actually stopping violence or recognizing women as something other than the sex class, they balk. They’ve already given up their sexual control over women, they’ve given us a place in the cubicle next door, so they have to maintain some sort of bastion of male power to keep us in our place. Our place being a systematical denial of second wave feminism, or any sort of feminism that doesn’t come complete with titty tassles.
    Conservative men, however, have maintained their power structure. Their women do no work outside the home, or value homemaking much higher than a career. Their masculinity is affirmed by the notion that women must still be protected by them, so they feel no need to objectify them as overtly or belittle their opinions so venomously. I’m not surprised that the Republican in the original post wants to silence his ex, because that’s what Republicans want from their women: silence on all matters.
    What is ironic is that the anti-feminist male liberal wants the same thing: silence. Except he expects his with a stripper pole and lap dances.

4. ellestar
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Huh. I’ve never considered that being affiliated with a political party could be “trendy.” I have yet to meet a liberal male who picked the Democrats because he could get laid more easily, what with our free love and all.
    I don’t doubt that many liberal men do not espouse feminist ideals found in many women who also support liberal candidates. But I seriously doubt that men will vote someone into office that doesn’t represent at least some of his interests in order to be trendy.
    It’s interesting that we have such differing experiences when it comes to our experiences with liberal men. The ones I know, if they do not support feminism outright, it’s because they’re more interested in fighting racism or homophobia or fighting for universal health care, etc.
    While I definitely know some liberal men who don’t go out of their way to support feminism, they don’t summarily reject research about sexual violence and gender issues because they don’t trust academia to publish unbiased data.
    My theory is that conservative men are comfortable in their masculinity.
    Ha!
    Sorry, I had to laugh. Again, in my experience, conservative men are the ones scared of losing their masculinity to the horrors of the gay agenda. In their eyes, men who love men are less masculine. They fear men losing that masculinity by allowing for same sex unions (or even homosexuality in general) because without that masculinity they cannot perpetuate the patriarchy that serves them so well.
    Again, we have had some widely varying experiences. It was the more conservative men that were more likely to call me a dyke because I didn’t wear makeup or skirts to school every day. And at my university, you better believe it was the men who voted Republican going through the sorority girls. I don’t think either one of our experiences trumps the other.
    Being something that has no autonomy and needs protection, to me, feels very objectifying. At the very least it’s treating me like a child who is to be seen and not heard.
    That’s an over-generalization. I admit to doing something similar in my previous post (Republican girls may just want to live in the world created by conservatives where men don’t sexually assault women with any frequency), but you’ve gone a little far. It sounds as though you’ve had some bad experiences with liberal men. That sucks.
    Liberal men have their own agendas when supporting the Democratic party. Those may or may not align with feminist agendas. My original point was based upon the fact that I have not seen so much denial of sexual violence coming from liberals (as a whole) as I have seen from conservatives (especially lately).

5. AnnaSoror
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I wonder, do any of you think she’ll actually decide to ditch the party?

6. Suzy
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 12:35 am | Permalink

ok… on the topic of stalking i had to get this off my chest. I just looked up some music videos on youtube because i felt like watching people dance. I turn on justin timberlake… and i watch all of his videos. Every single one. I compiled a list:
    Number of justin timberlake music videos where he stalks a girl:
    1. cry me a river
    2. what goes around
    3. I’m lovin it
    4. sexyback
    5. ayo technology (its timbalands song but he’s still in it)
    Number of justin timberlake music videos where he doesn’t stalk a girl:
    1. seniorita
    2. like i love you
    Number of justin timberlake videos where he doesn’t stalk a girl and instead dances in front of a screen: 1. lovestoned
    2. my love
    3. rock your body
    I know this has nothing to do with this case, but I had to get it off my chest. My friends are getting aggravated with my continuing to speak of Justin Timberlake.

7. prairielily
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Suzy, I’ve long felt that Justin Timberlake seems to be a petty, petty man, and is probably a huge douchebag in person.
    In my experience, young conservative women tend to be victim-blamers. I know one who recently said that she doesn’t believe that the majority of rapes actually occurred. They write articles about how they have never experienced discrimination, and that it therefore doesn’t exist. They hate V-day, and say that feminists have “gone too far.” I don’t know why they espouse these beliefs, but I would wager it has more to do with upbringing and misinformation than a conscious belief that these things are less prevalent among Republicans. We all know the part class plays in sexism and misogyny, so it’s not really that hard to believe that privileged young women may not have experienced very many of the roadblocks that other women encounter. And of course, there is the belief that other women deserve what they get for being poor, or stupid, or slutty, or whatever, but that they are better than that, and are special. It entitles them to insult and belittle other (lesser) women.
    After going through life believing that, though, it must be a huge shock when despite doing everything right, they sometimes become victims of sexual violence and discrimination. Once it has happened to them, it becomes much harder to insist that other women brought it upon themselves, or imagined it entirely. It must be awful to realize that none of your male acquaintances ever respected you as a person. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
    However, I also believe that Jen had some good points about the sexism of liberal men. I find that liberal men like to think of themselves as, well, liberated. They don’t like to consider the idea that the vestiges of sexism and racism still exist inside them, and that they could be prejudiced. So liberal men aren’t always liberal about women’s issues, and that they can be disregarded in the interest of “unity,” but when feminists point it out, they refuse to acknowledge that they have a point. It even angers them, and essentially boils down to, “We’re liberal, we’re not conservatives, what more do you want?” Think of the popularity of John McCain, so-called “moderate” anti-choice extraodinaire, the infamous pie fight at Daily Kos, and the label “sanctimonious women’s studies set.”
    This is getting way too long, but I also agree with Jen’s points about liberal male attitudes towards the sexual revolution. They often seem to buy into the “empowerful” label, and focus on the minority of women who are strippers and prostitutes by choice, so they can deny that the majority are not there by choice, and that even those that are often deal with horrible working conditions. That way they can feel alright about going to the strip club.
    Disclaimer: These are obviously generalizations. There are many valuable feminists and feminist allies among liberal men. The point is that liberal does not necessarily equal feminist.

8. Jen
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

For all the allies in the liberal party, I’ve always found the opposition much louder. Our allies seem to have trouble defending feminism because of the stigma. Perhaps it is just my experience, like ellestar said. I’m also affiliated with various liberal blogs, mostly populated by men, and I can honestly say that nothing gets them to fly in hysterics faster than pointing out where they’re being bigots. There really is this “I’m liberal, what more do you want?” mentality there. I’ve had liberal men go so far as to suggest that I’m not a feminist, and they are, regardless of my affiliation with various campus feminist groups and the university Women’s Studies program. They hate me for not being the “egalitarian” they think they are, and interpret everything the feminists say, unless they’re “sexy feminists” (Third-Wave Sex-Positive and Second-Wave Denying). In short, they will talk about women’s issues, but only if you talk about men’s issues and put up with all their bitching about how the Feminist movements are sexist because they don’t talk about men.
    Liberal men, just like their conservative counterparts, are obsessed with themselves. Unless the issue in question applies to them, they don’t want to hear about it. Especially if you try to hold their gender collectively responsible for the prevalence of violence against women. As soon as you specify who does the wife beating, the raping, and the child-abandoning, the liberal men froth at the mouth and declare your concerns outdated and sexist.
    Of course, I’ve run into liberal men that don’t do such things. They, however, seem to be in the minority. If the more sexist breed of liberal man makes himself known, the quieter feminist liberal man will slink back into the shadows to leave the fight up to the women. At least in the circles I run in, defending feminsts, especially second-wave or radical feminists, is akin to social suicide. Defending homosexuals is now trendy for liberals, but women’s issues? Not so much.

9. Chai Latte
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Alison Miller needs to press forth with that restraining order. Only she should make it against the entire Republican Party for being such utter douchebags.
    Yeah, I’ve had an experience with a so-called ‘liberal man’. This guy, however, is a self-centered tool and I was able to not bother taking him seriously.
    And those liberal men can take that stripper pole and ram it up their asses. As can the Republican ‘gentlemen’ who don’t think women are worth reacting to.
    I hope this Hasan jackhole loses that election.

10. GopherII
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

This kind of crap is what makes me happy I’m not a Republican.

11. Posted March 29, 2008 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

Another data point on this Republican who is crafting a “hip” edge to his campaign — not only is he stalking her (and supposedly not returning an Ipod and laptop are cause for civil or criminal action,. not hiring someone to hack into private e-mail accounts), but this guy is living at home with mom and dad — and mom appears to be more upset that it’s a fellow Republican who is spurning her boy than that her son is acting as a fool. And, with the amount of money they appear to have, he certainly isn’t living at home because he doesn’t have access to money to at least rent an apartment!
    (and for those who claim that access to and affordability for health care are not an issue — HMOs are where this family made their mony)

12. GrimaWormtongue
    Posted March 30, 2008 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

so typical. as a victem of stalking, I never realised how horrible a crime it really was until I was litterally living in fear of my life 24/7, curled up in a ball under my bed with mace and a weapon unable to sleep or do anything. checked locks on the doors several times a day. the stalker cyber stalked me, so the threats and everything where still there even when the doors were locked.
    the police and everyone tried to blow it off like I was being a drama queen and over exagerating what was said despite it being out and out threats. they threatened me in open court.
    its a horrible horrible experiance. it makes me sick to think about it still. and to think that the misconceptions about it being drama or fake reach a higher level beyond my small town police/government officals.
    I feel sick now….

13. Posted March 31, 2008 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Taking Reagan’s 11th commandment–“Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republicanâ€?–to a disturbing extreme…

14. mindy
    Posted April 1, 2008 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Stalking is a very serious and scary thing. It needs to be taken seriously and this whole situation just pisses me off. What the F is this world coming to?!