Friday Feminist Fuck You: Miss Bimbo and Sweet Valley High

So sick of pop culture reducing girls to mindless boy-crazy Barbie wannabees. Check out the two posts that inspired this video.

And, of course, don’t forget to subscribe to the Feministing YouTube channel!

1. Posted March 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

hehehehe nice one Jen! Love the subtitles.

2. Matt
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Any particular reason the video’s no longer available?

3. Posted March 28, 2008 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Excellent FFFY, Jen. Those were exactly the kinds of sentiments (with less language) that I was hoping to express on my feminist radio show that did not happen yesterday.
    Also, thanks for featuring my favorite Ani DiFranco song. :)

4. MLEmac
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Ani Rocks!

5. Posted March 28, 2008 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

I just tried to go to the miss bimbo site and it was completely down. I’m guessing all of the traffic crashed their server. Maybe they’ll just stay down now!

6. NotYourKitty
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 6:55 am | Permalink

Quote MissBimbo.com: “As a result of this rather surprising media attention we have decided to remove the option of purchasing diet pills from the game. We apologise to any players whom this may inconvenience but we feel in light of this weeks proceedings it is the correct action to take.”
    Tadaaaaaa! Feminist Media Attention worked again :)
    One down – many to go… The only correct way to respond to the media upheaval would have been to pull this whole game. But hey, one step at a time, right?
    Jen, I love your FFFY!

7. Chai Latte
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

YAY! I’ll second that ‘fuck you!’ Though I wish you’d spent more time ragging on the re-issued (thinner)Sweet Valley High books. (Destroy my childhood, will you? DIE, Francine Pascal!)
    Still, the Miss Bimbo site really needs a royal smackdown as well. Thanks for delivering such a killer blow!

8. cristina
    Posted March 29, 2008 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Speaking of diet pills, can anything be done to take the “why do chinese women stay slim” ads off of this site? I always hate having to see ads for stupid, most likely unsafe fad diets, and I would appreciate being able to go to feministing.com without seeing them.

9. Posted March 30, 2008 at 3:52 am | Permalink

I’m adding my feminist power fist to this. I also loved the use of Not a Pretty Girl.

10. Bloomberg
    Posted August 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

The capacity to be creative is culturally determined. If the culture of a city, region or country is autocratic or corrupt, it is difficult for ideas to emerge, potential to be harnessed and the free flow of possibilities to be turned into inventions. Rigid hierarchy also makes creativity more difficult as creativity relies on tolerance, listening and a strong degree of equality. Clearly, though, creativity can also happen in controlled situations. For example, the invention of weapons and advances in aerospace in wartime happened in secret, tightly controlled environments and even today new developments in computing in Squaw Valley occur in enclosed campuses within which there is a free flow of ideas among colleagues. The same is true for scientific discoveries, especially when intellectual copyright is at stake. Even here, though, there is openness in the confined setting in order to harness individuals’ imagination. However, many innovations are concerned with services, trading and presentation and these require the free flow of movement up and down hierarchies and across disciplines and institutions. A culture which is democratic and where questioning is cherished favours the development of imagination.