Quick Hit – This is scary, just not how they mean it

Can’t get enough of hearing how scary and mean Hillary Clinton is? Just in time for Halloween, a poll shows she’d make the scariest costume of the major presidential candidates.

Once again, Hillary Rodham Clinton leads in a poll. This time, she was top choice when people were asked which major 2008 presidential candidate would make the scariest Halloween costume.
Asked about costume choices, 37 percent in an Associated Press-Ipsos survey this month chose New York Sen. Clinton, the front-runner among Democratic presidential contenders.

Hard-hitting poll, Associated Press. Thanks.
Of course she’s scary. She’s a woman, and the current Democratic front-runner. Spooky, right? Ugh.

1. Posted October 29, 2007 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Quite frankly, I believe that the AP has taken to simply polling the people sitting around their offices. Really – who responds to these things? Young people don’t have land lines and old people don’t want to talk about presidential Halloween costumes.
    It is hugely disappointing to see institutions that are supposed to actually do something to keep us informed instead pulling crap like this. It is as though they are intentionally trying to turn people against her.

2. SecretMargo
    Posted October 29, 2007 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

I appreciate that the accompanying photo is of Giuliani holding his own face on a jack-o-lantern, as if as a kind of silent rebuke.

3. exelizabeth
    Posted October 29, 2007 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

To be fair, if it’s one of those president masks, those things are freaking terrifying. I don’t care who it’s of.

4. Flower
    Posted October 29, 2007 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

But did they ask about the SEXY Hillary Clinton costume? That might be a big seller.

5. Posted October 29, 2007 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Hillary Clinton-as-scary costumes were popular when Bill Clinton was president, too–confession: my very conservative parents once went to a Halloween party, when I was about five or six, dressed as Hillary Clinton-as-a-witch and Bill Clinton-as-a-devil. Funny to a little kid brainwashed by her parents conservativism, not so much now.

6. paleblue
    Posted October 29, 2007 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

I’m not surprised. Last week, the College Republicans at my school chalked “Life’s a Bitch – Don’t Vote for One” on the sidwalks around campus.
    I feel too tired to be angry. Just sad.

7. Posted October 29, 2007 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

You know, I find Hillary Clinton scary because of the way she voted about Iraq and the attitude she continues to show towards Iran. And what makes her even scarier than other hawks is that a lot of progressives give her a pass on it, so I worry that if she becomes president, there will be even less effort to keep war in check. So yeah, saying she’s scary isn’t necessarily about gender.
    On the other hand, this poll might actually be good news for her supporters, assuming that people choose to buy scary costumes. It turns out that mask sales figures are a good indicator of who will win the presidential election. See http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/21/news/funny/prez_masks/

8. SweetZoeJane
    Posted October 30, 2007 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Interesting…
    I’m actually dressing up as Hillary for Halloween. I bought the mask and everything.
    Really, I thought it would be cool to be something different. I support Hillary for running for president. I mean, I don’t know if I’d vote for her yet, but I definitely think she’s taking on a lot. I also thought it would be interesting to see the reactions I would get from people. I’m prepared for the worst, but I keep seeing how much support she’s actually getting, and yet… I don’t see any of the support here in Colorado Springs.

9. Heather Nan
    Posted October 30, 2007 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Well, just last week a poll came out demonstrating that the majority of Americans CAN’T name a Republican candidate, so since Clinton is so well known, it might just be that she’s named because people (ignorant, dumbass Americans who apparently can’t pay attention to one of the most important elections in our history) can name her.

10. Posted October 30, 2007 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I honestly DO NOT UNDERSTAND the obsession with “scary-looking” Hillary. What the hell is scary about her appearance (or her persoanlity and politics, for that matter)?! She is about as normal-looking as it gets. She could be anyone’s middle-aged auntie in a nice suit.
    I was also shocked to see this “poll” in my local newspaper. Not the kind of hard-hitting REAL news you’d expect to see in an “unbiased” printed news source now, is it?

11. Posted October 30, 2007 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Let me tell you who is really scared of Sen. Hillary Clinton: the neocons, who want to continue their 34-year jihad on women in this country.

12. Caro
    Posted October 31, 2007 at 1:41 am | Permalink

I was at a bar this weekend… and they were advertising their Halloween party for tomorrow night where the main event was “Best Hillary Clinton Costume Contest.” How is that even fun? Anyway, as realization dawned on me, I turned to my friend and said, “Wait, is this a Republican bar?” And she said, “Yeah, it’s pretty much just yuppies… wanna get out of here?” So we did.

13. theimperialprincess
    Posted November 2, 2007 at 10:18 am | Permalink

I heard that too that the most popular political Halloween costume has predicted the next president with 100% accuracy.