Quick Hit: Ginsburg speaks out on women’s rights

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was in Atlanta recently, where she talked about the backlash against women and reproductive justice. She noted if Roe was overturned, middle class women would still be able to obtain abortions but the decision “would have a devastating impact on poor women.”

1. ekf
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I adore her and hope every day for her good health. Her presence on the Court is one of the few things about the federal government to which I can look with unreserved gratitude.

2. thenakedcat
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Thank the gods SOMEONE in the higher echelons of government understands the economic forces behind abortion. I was starting to think that it was a complete blindspot for all of upper bureaucracy. Now if only we could clone Justice Ginsberg…

3. Gopher
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

How would middle class women still be able to obtain abortions? With the crap laws put out by republicans (such as keeping a pregnant woman from traveling out of her state) how would that not affect any woman of any class? Why should a woman in South Carolina have to travel across the states just to obtain what is her right. If Roe was ever overturned the rebublicans would hammer down any opportunity for a woman to have an abortion, except for sticking a coat hanger up herself. Then whats keeping those states that protect abortion rights from overturning those laws?

4. Gopher
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

How would middle class women still be able to obtain abortions? With some of the crap laws put out by republicans (such as keeping a pregnant woman from traveling out of her state) how would that not affect any woman of any class? Why should a woman in South Carolina have to travel across the states just to obtain what is her right. If Roe was ever overturned the rebublicans would hammer down any opportunity for a woman to have an abortion, except for sticking a coat hanger up herself. Then whats keeping those states that protect abortion rights from overturning those laws too?

5. EG
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Gopher, enough money will always ease your way. Not make it easy, mind you–plenty of middle-class women will be screwed, too. But if an illegal abortion costs $500, that’s going to be far less of an obstacle to me than it will be to someone living hand-to-mouth. Further, bans on travel would be very, very difficult to enforce, and I suspect that, as always, money will help you get around them. The fact is, I can afford a plane ticket to Paris or a train ticket to Toronto, and if I’ve taken a pregnancy test at home, how would anybody even know why I was going? Ginzburg isn’t saying that middle-class women won’t suffer, but that their suffering won’t be as great as working-class women.

6. EG
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Also, remember that illegal abortionists often charged extra for anesthetic–I knew a woman who couldn’t scrape up the extra cash, and had to go through the whole thing with no painkiller at all. More money always helps.

7. Posted October 23, 2007 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I wish Justice Ginsburg would have added what she talked about in the Atlanta Journal Constitution as part of her dissent on April 18.
    And I agree with Gopher. All women who are not part of the upper class will be financially ruined, if they survive their pregnancies. I have a very bad feeling that millions of women across this nation will die if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned.

8. jochre
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Ginsburg is wrong, unless she considers herself “middle class.”
    The lower and middle-middle class will be screwed, offered only no abortion or dangerous, illegal abortions.
    I was alive and sexually active when abortion was illegal: my high school friends were forced into marriage at age 14 and 16 or sent away to god knows what (closed adoption probably.)
    You heard me right, married off in the 1960s at 14 and 16 in a New Jersey suburb, mostly lower middle class.
    At state college I heard of a pipeline to illegal abortions and later ran into a girl from an uppermiddle class suburb who had been flown to Puerto Rico by her boyfriend for an abortion “vacation.”
    Only the rich are different from you and I, only they won’t die or be maimed.

9. DrkEyedCajn
    Posted October 23, 2007 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Ohmygod I miss Sandra Day O’Connor. I’m taking a seminar class on her next semester and plan on writing a term paper about her. Sigh…