Friday Anti-Cat Blogging

I know I’m in the extreme minority of feminist bloggers because I a) don’t own a cat, b) don’t find LOLcats all that funny, and c) don’t really think cats are cute. Which is why Realisticats is for me! A sample of one of these blissfully accurate and grammatically correct images:
pukeinshoes.JPG
Because I want this trend to spread like wildfire, I tried my hand at creating my own — inspired by a real-life event in which my roommate’s cat shredded a dress I had just made to wear to a friend’s wedding:
REALISTICATS.JPG
Make your own, people! Spread the cat-hate! We’re the, um, silent majority in the blogosphere, I swear.

1. Leslie
    Posted September 1, 2007 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

okay why are we overanalyzing LOLCATS??? theres tons of annoying crap on the internet, if u dont like it, just ignore it. i for one happen to love cats…and think its mean to spread so much hatred for kitties :( everyone says they hate them cuz they’re smelly, messy, annoying, and unaffectionate. my cat is none of those things! whenever i’m sad/upset/sick/etc. my cat picks up on it, spends more time on my lap, rubbing his face on me, and all those cute things. my grandparents, who are very old, get tons of extra affection from him, especially when they arent feeling great.
    so poo to you cat haters. i will continue to surf all the lolcats sites so that they stay in business. lolz.

2. Posted September 1, 2007 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I think people who don’t like cats have had a lot of experience with other people’s cats and decided not to get one of their own. Cats are sort of like little kids who hide behind their parents when they’re talking to another adult. It doesn’t mean they don’t like you. They just need more time to get to know you. They might need a second or third impression. When my family first got a cat, he was a little shy and it took him a couple of days to come up to us and let us pet him. After that, he became very loving and even gave kisses. So give cats a chance!

3. Rachel
    Posted September 2, 2007 at 5:16 am | Permalink

I have two cats. Coincidentally, I also have a sense of humor.
    I love my cats (cats in general really) but I thought realisticats was HILARIOUS. I laughed so hard i couldn’t breathe. Its funny because its true, people.

4. Rachel
    Posted September 2, 2007 at 5:17 am | Permalink

I have two cats. Coincidentally, I also have a sense of humor.
    HI FRENCH FRY!!

5. Pup, MD
    Posted September 2, 2007 at 10:26 am | Permalink

My mother ran over my cat.
    What was worse, six months earlier, she’d decided my cat could be infected with FIV (thank you, 1980s Southern Baptist HIV-ignorance campaigns), and was convinced I’d get teh AIDZ from poor little Pepper.
    I’m not bitter or anything (enters stairwell, starts sobbing).
    Dog person now :)

6. MoodyStarr
    Posted September 2, 2007 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

No one really has to read this comment it’s not important, I just wanted to add I think cats are the cutest damn things ever.
    There is a stereotype of cats being a woman’s animal, and that it is just not manly for a guy to have a cat.
    One of the reasons I fell in love with my boyfriend years ago was the relationship he has with his cat. He takes such good care of Mandolin and his shirts are always furry from hugging her. He loves felines so much that he calls them all kitties, even though he’s supposed to be a badass metal singer and wrestler.
    I’m glad to have found a partner who likes cats as much as I do. Not that we don’t like dogs, it’s just that whenever I think about getting one for a pet, I think, “I might as well have a kid.” Cats can be a total pain in the ass, but dogs take a lot of training and care.

7. thisisendless
    Posted September 3, 2007 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Ok, I gotta say that the LOLTrek thing is pure genius. I LOVE that. also that Spock is the only one with perfect grammar and his lines are the the same as in the episode.
    That aside, I have to say I have noticed a weird connection to cat hating and misogyny. This is not always that case of course, but I have noticed a sort of strange pattern there.
    As for the macros, don’t care one way or the other. Saw the site. The whole convoluted grammar thing gets on my nerves so I don’t really bother with them.
    I love both cats and dogs but find myself to be more of a cat person. I can’t say I understand any sort of “hate” towards any animal. I love them all!
    Thanks for letting me chime in.

8. Posted September 3, 2007 at 12:55 am | Permalink

i was going to say something…but AlaraJRogers beat me to it…i was wondering if any of the critics of the LOLcats had actually seen them…i don’t like those hallmarky posters either, but as a fan of gaming, cartoons, pop culturey type stuff…i find them hilarious b/c i get the references.
    if you don’t like them…ignore them…they are for the amusement of those of us that find them funny…and not intended to annoy those who don’t…

9. Pup, MD
    Posted September 3, 2007 at 9:05 am | Permalink

If you’re terribly bothered by the LOLcats, its probably because CeilingCat caught you masturbating. At least, that’s my assumption.
    /if you don’t get it, just move along, nothing to see here…

10. Brie
    Posted September 3, 2007 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I absolutely adore cats. (I have two of them.) And I find LOLcats to be funny as hell.
    I don’t like dogs though. At all. I had lived with a guy who had two of them and I’ll never live with dogs again. They’re too dirty, smelly, and needy for my tastes.
    Yay for kitties!

11. fullofkrap
    Posted September 3, 2007 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

I empathize with people who think this is a silly discussion, but I honestly think that there is a valuable conversation to be had about the correlation of cat-hating with misogyny.
    Of course it is dumb to gender cats and dogs as females vs males. Once we domesticate an animal, however, a certain amount of anthropomorphism is inevitable. Does it say more about us than the animals? Of course. It really has nothing to do with the animals at all.
    I have to agree that I have seen cat-hating and misogyny go hand-in-hand too many times to ignore. I’m not talking about people who just don’t like cats, I am talking about people who virulently loathe them and, if they don’t actually harm them physically, show a disturbing degree of comfort with the concept of cats in pain.
    I don’t see it as cats=women and dogs=men though. It seems more like cats=women who are real people with complex emotions and an independence that demands respect; dogs=subservient women who exist purely for the edification and pleasure of their owners, unfailingly happy and playful no matter what, loyal to a fault, and exist in a kind of paternalistic relationship to their owners. I cannot help but notice how similar their rhetoric sounds to those assholes at americanwomensuck.com or whatever who complain about American women being aloof and spoiled while Russian/Thai/whatever women are always grateful and supportive.
    Again, does this reflect the nature of cats and dogs at all? Of course not. This is about the people, not the animals. No, not all dog lovers are misogynists. Hell, I am a “cat person” but I do love dogs too. There are just some people out there (both of my brothers included, unfortunately) that are very vehemently and specifically hostile to cats and will tell you exactly why, using some of the characteristics above.
    To the OP and others who don’t like cats, I do not by any means believe you are like that. But this might help explain why cat-dislike pushes a lot of buttons, especially in feminist communities.

12. Posted September 4, 2007 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Okay, just wanted to throw in my two cents:
    I love cats. I love dogs. I love LOLcats. I love pretty much LOL-anything. I too get annoyed with the spelling sometimes, but oh well.
    But I enjoy the realisticats, too. I used to have a cat who would glare at the camera. Yes, it’s anthropomorphizing him, but that’s really what it looked like, and it suited his personality. I’ve been considering for a while putting together a memorial album with captions: “You will pay for this indignity.” “Enjoy the surprise I left in your running shoes, punk.” Etc.

13. Posted September 4, 2007 at 3:05 pm | Permalink