Monday morning fun.

I just love me some vintage tampon/maxi pad ads. This one is my favorite; I have that outfit at home. Check out more after the jump.
kotexr.jpg

kotexl-1.jpg
For those really long trips.
tampax1_1.jpg
Tampons. Kites. Liberation.

1. elektrodot
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 9:21 am | Permalink

loove the red dot on her spacesuit. more obvious than todays commercials!

2. Posted May 21, 2007 at 9:27 am | Permalink

I think that second lady is about to get Logan’s Runned. Zero-G flow should be the least of her concerns.

3. Posted May 21, 2007 at 9:32 am | Permalink

But wait, where’s all the weird blue liquid?

4. Posted May 21, 2007 at 9:39 am | Permalink

In grade school, there was a boy who thought women’s menstrual flow was blue, because of the commercials.
    And of course, concluded that we were aliens.

5. soupcann314
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 9:54 am | Permalink

My mom totally used to dress me in the same vein as the lady in the third one. And I’m not even kidding. She was big time into bloomers, perhaps under the impression that she had given birth to a daughter in the 1880s, not 1980s. I wore the same red velvet Christmas dress for two or three years, with ridiculous white bloomers coming out from underneath it. My two younger brothers had to wear matching gray mini suits with those short pants that you see Dickensian children wearing and red velvet bow ties. Those Christmas pictures are pretty much her favorite pictures of all time.
    Amazingly, we still love her after all she put us through. =-)

6. Posted May 21, 2007 at 10:06 am | Permalink

One day, ikkin, I predict that a product will be developed to turn women’s menstrual blood into that pretty blue: no more of that “unsightly” red, ladies! The “cleanliness” you’ve always craved!
    You heard it here, folks. I want the dubious credit when the time comes.

7. Charity
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 10:32 am | Permalink

soupcann314, not to minimize or negate the unpleasantness of the bloomers experience, but the image of your Dickensian family Christmas pictures is making me chuckle. At least your mom was equal-opportunity with it. But the real question…did you feel “free” and inspired to fly kites and skip in your bloomers??

8. soupcann314
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Charity, no prob, I laugh at the pictures when I come across them myself. And yes, I felt so incredibly free to skip around and fly kites!

9. Genny
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Man, and I thought current ads were vague. At least the line drawings and funny blue liquid let you know that something’s supposed to be absorbed, these look like they’re advertising some strange kind of anti-depressants/confidence pills.
    Speaking of vague, I remember my first sex-ed class was not really that clear with information or diagrams. Made me wonder where boys got their periods from. Because it never occured to me that puberty didn’t work basically the same way across both genders. Also that some teacher really over-emphasized changing your pad regularly or “you’ll smell like bad fish” which made me paranoid all through middle school.

10. Posted May 21, 2007 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Ya know what this reminds me of?
    The Kotex classic SNL sketch.

11. annajcook
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

For more vintage adverts & menstruation history, check out http://www.mum.org (the Museum of Menstruation). The site design isn’t great, but their content is hilarious.
    For example, here’s their page on a 2000 series of ads from the Netherlands featuring (I kid you not) “Men & menstrual pads.”

12. ShifterCat
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

My thought about the first one: “What is she wearing — chainmail? No, it doesn’t look heavy enough. Bad faux-chainmail, then.”
    Has anyone seen the Superheroine Menstrual Product Ads?

13. Mina
    Posted May 21, 2007 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

That reminds me of stuff I saw on other forums:
    “Army PXs sold many more boxes of pads than needed by female soldiers because being made soft to be easy on the female anatomy, they were fantastic for polishing floors in barracks. Worked pretty good on the wooden stocks of M-14s too.”
    Then there’s this:
    “Barry Longyear gave a speech at a convention once that included his hysterically funny account of using Kotex pads as surgical dressing, and trying to do a testimonial for them. The Kotex folks didn’t want to hear about it.”

14. shari
    Posted May 22, 2007 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Well, have you ever really looked at the swiffer pads? They really are nothing more than a thick, rectangular sanitary pad. I joked with my boyfriend that we might as well use my pads to clean the floor, since they’re cheaper than swiffer replacements and I don’t use them anyway.

15. shari
    Posted May 22, 2007 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

16. GamesOnline
    Posted November 8, 2009 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I think that second lady is about to get Logan’s Runned. free online games