First transgender student runs for prom king.

Awesome.
Fresno High School senior Cinthia Covarrubias is believed to be the first transgender student to run for prom king:

“School officials this week added the 17-year-old’s name to the ballot for prom king, reversing a previous district protocol that allowed only males to run for king and females for prom queen.
Gay youth advocates called it a landmark victory for campus gender expression and said they believe it’s the first time in the U.S. that an openly transgender student has run for prom royalty.”

Covarrubias didn’t make the cut when the winner was announced on Saturday, but achieved far more by running. “I’m happy I actually made a difference about changing the law and the policy so you can run for your choice,” said Covarrubias.
You’re a king to us, Cinthia!
Via Nerve.
RANDOM UPDATE: I couldn’t help it; the lovely Feministing contributor Gwen Beetham pointed out a line in the article that I would have to deem the Ignorant-Ass-of-the-Week quote (which also made me laugh out loud): “I like lesbians, but they shouldn’t be allowed to run for king,” said senior Erich Logan, 18. Classic.

1. Mashi
    Posted April 23, 2007 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

It seems the proms are the new arena for social progress. Check out this story:

2. blucas!
    Posted April 23, 2007 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

“It’s not like the stereotype where the king has to be a jock and he’s there with the cheerleaders anymore,” said Reyes, a senior. “We live in a generation now where dudes are chicks and chicks are dudes.”
    So. Awesome.

3. donna darko
    Posted April 23, 2007 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

It’s about time. You’d think this would have happened some place sooner.

4. Nancy in NYC
    Posted April 23, 2007 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Heroic *and* cute as a button!

5. vanessa
    Posted April 23, 2007 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

at my bay area high school a genderqueer (female-bodied) person ran and WON prom king my senior year (2004). was so cool.

6. Posted April 23, 2007 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

I read that article a couple of days ago & that line about “lesbians shouldn’t be prom king” cracked me up. That is why we need to teach the full spectrum of gender in schools & that lesbian doesn’t necessarily equal transgendered & vice versa.

7. Nic
    Posted April 23, 2007 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I heard about this a while ago. This guy is brave and spectacular! Heck, when I was in high school, my girlfriend at the time couldn’t even take me to her prom.

8. manda
    Posted April 23, 2007 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

As awesome as this is, I find it frustrating that the school allowed Cinthia to be a nominee based on state law rather than the fact that it was just the right thing to do. For me, this is just another example of why we need to ensure equal protection for GLBT people on a national level.

9. Posted April 24, 2007 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Yep, anyone remember in 2001 when the first actual lesbian (not transgendered) person was crowned prom king?

10. annajcook
    Posted April 24, 2007 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Sounds like something straight out of a David Levithan story to me :) .

11. Sonya Klarson
    Posted September 19, 2009 at 6:46 am | Permalink

This is why in surveys of world’s best cities places like Copenhagen, Zurich, Stockholm and Vancouver always come out top. Most have less than 2 million inhabitants. They are walkable and accessible. Even Frankfurt has less than 1 million. They are small enough to be intimate yet large enough to be cosmopolitan.