BREAKING: Keroack resigns!

I have it on good authority that “Dr.” Eric Keroack, the abstinence-only nut and cartoon enthusiast who was appointed by the Bush administration to oversee reproductive rights funding is resigning.
More info as I get it…

1. Anonymous
    Posted March 29, 2007 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

oh PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this be true!!!

2. Posted March 29, 2007 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Wow. I may just have to go buy a piece of cheesecake to celebrate.
    Oh hell who am I kidding. I’ll buy a piece anyway (although I really hope this is true!)
    (Golden Girls represent!)

3. manda
    Posted March 29, 2007 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

I’m happy (and always looking for a Golden Girls cheesecake moment), but I can’t help but wonder who the hell they are going to replace him with. I predict someone either significantly better or significantly worse.

4. Posted March 29, 2007 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Please, let this be true.

5. Posted March 29, 2007 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I just got the email from Planned Parenthood. It looks official!

6. Anonymous
    Posted March 29, 2007 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

WHOO HOO! WE WIN!!!
    [but who's the next appointee going to be?]

7. LindsayPW
    Posted March 29, 2007 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

*Warning, comment may have cheesy overtones*
    When I read about this in my email from Planned Parenthood the bells on my campus started playing the US National Anthem. This is a sign!

8. annajcook
    Posted March 29, 2007 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

This is SUCH a relief. Finally something breaks on our side!

9. erinjean
    Posted March 29, 2007 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Power to the People!!

10. Posted March 29, 2007 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

I just hope it is because of some scandal that discredits his insane positions and policy. Short of that, a resignation will do.

11. Posted March 29, 2007 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Looks like it’s official, just got the Planned Parenthood announcement:
    Anti-birth control advocate Eric Keroack will no longer oversee Title X, the nation’s family planning program! The day he took office, Planned Parenthood launched a massive grassroots campaign against Keroack, rallying a nationwide groundswell of opposition to his appointment.
    PPFA President Cecile Richards issued the following statement on the resignation:
    “It’s a good day for women’s health. Keroack was unqualified to run the nation’s family planning program. The Bush administration must replace Keroack with a legitimate, mainstream public health expert who supports family planning and access to birth control. More than 17 million women in our country need access to affordable birth control. The nation’s family planning program should be run by a champion for women’s health and safety.�

12. Posted March 29, 2007 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Whew!

13. UltraMagnus
    Posted March 29, 2007 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

My uterus just exhaled.
    But she’s still backed into a corner, eyes darting around everywhere.
    *pats gently* “It’s okay sweetie, the bad people can’t get you…”

14. MarianMcAlpin
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 12:23 am | Permalink

The optimist in me says :Yay!
    The not-so-optimist part says: Let’s just hope they haven’t found an even bigger nut to replace him.

15. MarianMcAlpin
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 12:24 am | Permalink

The optimist in me says :Yay!

16. stellaelizabeth
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 12:36 am | Permalink

“my uterus just exhaled” is about the most giggle-inspiring yet somehow lovely way to put just how i felt too.
    how a lot of us felt, i bet. a lot of our utes.

17. Posted March 30, 2007 at 2:38 am | Permalink

It’s about time!
    The sad thing is, I didn’t even finish my liberated uterus victory cheer before I had two questions-
    1- Where’s the weasel off to now?
    2- Who’s next in Bush’s line of fine nomines?
    Something tells me I should get some sleep before looking for answers.

18. Posted March 30, 2007 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Looks like some sort of scandal is going on.
    The Boston Globe is reporting that:
    “The head of the federal office responsible for providing women with access to contraceptives and counseling to prevent pregnancy resigned unexpectedly yesterday after Medicaid officials took action against him in Massachusetts.”

19. Posted March 30, 2007 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Still waiting for the sordid details of the “action.” Another Bush appointee clouded by scandal? It must be Friday.

20. nausicaa
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Ha ha ha ha ha ha HA!
    Not only is he a creepy fundy, he’s also a slimy fraudster! Love it!!

21. Posted March 30, 2007 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I’m so glad he’s out of that office. G’uh, one of his “crisis” pregnancy centers is just a block from my apartment.

22. Posted March 31, 2007 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Dumbasses In The News…

Dumbasses In The News…

23. me
    Posted March 31, 2007 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Yes, this is great. I bet Dr. K committed Medicaid fraud and they finally caught him. It might be too much to hope that it somehow involves the pregnancy centers, but no matter what he’s exposed. Its so ironic the men who hold themselves out as the most upright and moral turn out to be the biggest frauds. I wonder if they have read this verse:
    Matthew 6:5-8
    “And when thou shalt pray, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites: for they are wont to pray standing in the synagogues, and in corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Verily I say to you, that they have their reward. 6. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and, having shut thy door, pray to thy Father who is in secret: and thyFather, who seeth secret, shall reward thee openly. 7. But praying, use not vain repetitions, as the Heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard on account of their speaking much. 8. Be not you, therefore, like them: for your Father knoweth what things ye need, before ye ask him”
    But, it might be too metaphorical for them. ;)