Become a woman, get fired

The City Commission in Largo, Florida is begining the process to fire a top officialalmost immediately after he announced plans to get a sex-change operation.

The 5-to-2 vote Tuesday started a three-step process to remove City Manager Steve Stanton from the job he’s held for 14 years.
Stanton, 48, confirmed last week that he is a transsexual. With a solid reputation as a forceful and energetic leader, he had hoped to keep his $140,000-a-year job as he underwent the gender reassignment process.
“It’s just painful to know seven days ago I was a good guy and now … I have no integrity,” Stanton told the commission. “My challenge here has always been that someday I was going to leave this organization. So I am going to do it with a smile on my face.”

Stanton can appeal the decision, and will be placed on paid leave while the city begins the legal process to end his contract. So upsetting.

1. petralyn
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 10:54 am | Permalink

IMHO, this is the most common mistake M to F’s make–the idea that they’ll keep their jobs after transitioning and surgery. For me this was an issue which I cannot overcome, but after 10 years, the fear and hatred still prevent full and continued employment. This is especially true if the results are not 100% plausible and passable.
    BTW, to endanger a $140,000 a year job merely illustrates the intensity of desire to change.
    Petra

2. Posted March 1, 2007 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Sad sad sad. And there are no laws to protect a transsexual against discrimination. Hell, my home state of Ohio won’t even change your drivers liscense or birth certificate.
    I think it’s great that the mayor of Largo has stuck by him since his announcement. Admirable lady.

3. NorthernKnowitall
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I hope she sues the pants off those bastards for wrongful dismissal.

4. kathygnome
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

This is why we need ENDA and this is why it’s absolutely vital for it to retain its transgender protections.
    However, when it is still acceptable for so-called feminists to discriminate against transwomen, telling us we’re men, and ejecting us from women’s services and spaces, why are we surprised that other people will discriminate against transpeople?

5. kathygnome
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

“I hope she sues the pants off those bastards for wrongful dismissal.”
    It’s perfectly legal to fire transpeople in 43 states.

6. MRB
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

How horrible! What does changing one’s sex and doing a job have to do with the other? Very sad.

7. Manda Sue
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I remember reading this on Our Bodies, Our Blog and hearing it on NPR.
    In the NPR interview, she talks about her wife warning her that she’ll be fired for undergoing the sex change and what it will mean for their legal status.

8. Posted March 1, 2007 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

kathy, there are “feminists” who refuse to acknowledge you’re a woman?
    I’m disgusted. And very sad to hear it. As far as I’m concerned, you can use the same locker room and/or bathroom as me anytime you want.

9. cherylp
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I think there must be lots of feminists who refuse to acknowledge M2F trans people as women – even some prominent ones (i.e. Germaine Greer). Totally incomprehensible to me (and the feminists I know), but sadly true…

10. isfa
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Kathy,
    That sounds awful- to be denied access to female space yet again after living so many years outside of it. I’d like to think that it’s a minority of feminists who hold those regressive views, and I hope they’re becoming fewer and fewer as transwomen become more and more visible. In the meantime, I am sorry you have been excluded.

11. manda
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I really have no use for people who claim to be passionate about equality (feminists, civil rights supporters, GLB rights supporters) but see no problem in excluding transpeople.
    You are completely correct, kathy, this is a prime example of why we need ENDA. No one should be fired for simply trying to feel comfortable in their own skin.

12. Posted March 1, 2007 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Thursday Roundup

In the wake of reports showing widespread neglect of wounded veterans at Walter Reed Army Hospital, the Army has removed Maj. Gen. George W. Weightman as commander of that facility. A city council in Florida voted to begin the process…

13. RachelPhilPa
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

kathy, there are “feminists” who refuse to acknowledge you’re a woman?
    Well, Janice Raymond – author of “The Transsexual Menace” is still alive and kicking.
    There are a number of feminists – most would be labeled “second wave” or “radical” – who are transphobic. Besides Raymond, there’s Mary Daly, Alix Dobkin, and others, and those attitudes still have a following.
    There’s been quite some controversy about some of the transphobic comments left at I Blame The Patriarchy. See Little Light’s commentary (and read the lengthy comment threads).
    It does seem that transphobia is slowing dying out in the women’s community, though.

14. EG
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Yes, and I believe that Sheila Jeffries in the UK published an anti-trans screed as recently as a couple years ago.
    Joanna Russ has reversed her earlier, anti-trans position, though.

15. P. Burke
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Kathy and Manda are right: this is why we need ENDA. A friend of mine transitioned (FTM) recently, and her boss hasn’t made a big deal about it. But it’s scary that she could be fired if her boss felt like it.
    EG: Joanna Russ used to be anti-trans? What did she say, and when did she change her mind? I’ve been a fan of her SF for a while now, and didn’t realize that she had been anti-trans.

16. EG
    Posted March 1, 2007 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I don’t remember exactly, but I do remember there being some anti-trans stuff in the brilliant The Female Man, though it’s been too long since I’ve read it to pinpoint exactly what.
    I think she’s said more than once over the past few years that she’s changed her mind dramatically, most recently at a telephoned-Q&A (health concerns prevented her from being there in person) at the most recent WisCon (the annual feminist Science Fiction and Fantasy convention). A transcript of that session is up on wikipedia: http://wiki.feministsf.net/index.php?title=Joanna_Russ_Interview_with_Chip_Delany

17. CrystalPM