Cambodian girl sold to sex trade at 6.

Sex trafficking is indeed no joke, and when I read stories like this I can only cringe.

She was sold to a brothel by her parents when she was 5. It is not known how much her family got for Srey, but other girls talk of being sold for $100; one was sold for $10. Before she was rescued, Srey endured months of abuse at the hands of pimps and sex tourists. Passed from man to man, often drugged to make her compliant, Srey was a commodity at the heart of a massive, multimillion-dollar sex industry in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
“It is huge,” said Mu Sochua, a former minister of women’s and veteran’s affairs who is an anti-sex trade activist.
The precise scale of Cambodia’s sex trade is difficult to quantify. International organizations — such as UNICEF, ECPAT and Save the Children — say that anywhere from from 50,000 to 100,000 women and children are involved. An estimated 30 percent of the sex workers in Phnom Penh are under the age of 18, according to the United Nations. The actual figure may be much higher, activists say.

Words that come to mind: economic imperialism, slavery, racism, sexism, abuse, pedophilia. . .

1. Durga_is_my_homey
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Economic imperialism, slavery, racism, sexism, abuse, pedophilia, poverty and social chaos caused by war and genocide.
    I’ve studied Cambodia since I was 10 years old and one thing you have to remember is that the majority of customers to children in Cambodia are Cambodians. That isn’t to say that foreign sex tourists (Japanese, Bristish, American) never engage in it or are such victims because they have to look at signs that say, “Abuse A Child in this country go to jail in your’s” as they like to think they are after paying a few grand to fly to Cambodia and spend on a 19 year-old’s body half of what he’d get for a pair of jeans at home. It is blatant classist, it is racist and sexist. But if all the foreign tourists left, children would still be hurt – that cannot be forgotten if we’re to stop this problem.
    Also, Srey is the Khmer word “srey” which means “girl” or woman” so it is unlikely her name; I hope the overall communication was better than this.

2. tink
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Dear God.

3. Posted February 1, 2007 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Human trafficking is one of the largest criminal industries after drugs and arms.
    I believe the statistic of underage women who are sex workers is much higher.

4. donna darko
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

The International Labor Organization study, “The Sex Sector: The economic and social bases of prostitution in Southeast Asia,” states 0.25 per cent and 1.5 per cent of the female population in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand are engaged in prostitution. The national case studies are illustrative of the situation in many countries and prostitution and its attendant problems are universal.
    The sex sector in the four countries is estimated to account for anywhere from 2 to 14 per cent of Gross Domestic Product, and the revenues it generates are crucial to the livelihoods and earnings potential of millions of workers beyond the prostitutes themselves. Government authorities also collect substantial revenues in areas where prostitution thrives, illegally from bribes and corruption, but legally from licensing fees and taxes on the many hotels, bars, restaurants and game rooms that flourish in its wake. development programmes.
    Sex work is usually better paid than most of the options available to young, often uneducated women, in spite of the stigma and danger attached to the work. In all four of the countries studied, sex work provided significantly higher earnings than other forms of unskilled labour. In the experience of most of the women surveyed, prostitution is one of the most alienating forms of labour. Over 50 per cent of the women surveyed in Philippine massage parlours said they carried out their work “with a heavy heart,” and 20 per cent said they were “conscience stricken because they still considered sex with customers a sin.”
    As with adult prostitution, it is not possible to have precise figures on the extent of child prostitution. In Indonesia, a 1992 survey found that one-tenth of the prostitutes were below 17 years and of those who were older, more than a fifth said they had started working before the age of 17. In Malaysia, more than half of those “rescued” from various sex establishments were under 18 years.
    The report says that measures targeting the sex sector have to consider moral, religious, health, human rights and criminal issues in addressing a phenomenon that is mainly economic in nature.

5. Alma Whitten
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Please check out RiverKids Project which does great work on this exact problem. I’m really proud to support them with donations and it would be great if some readers here took a look and considered giving. They accomplish a great deal with very little so even very small donations mean a lot!

6. donna darko
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 11:03 pm | Permalink
  7. Alma Whitten
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Donna, I didn’t realize typepad would futz the link =P

8. Posted April 20, 2007 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

CST and Human Trafficking are just disgusting. I can’t believe that anyone gets off on this type of thing. It makes me sad. Sex, for myself at least, is a highly personal experience, and I wouldn’t want to pay any amount of money for some random guy to be with me. And sex with a child is just horrible. I just think this is the worst crime that is being committed today, and I am committing my life to fighting it. I know that while I may only make a little din in the problem, I will have made a difference, and that is what I am hoping for. To make my little din and help to bring down this horrible institution!!
    My sorority has just adopted notforsalecampaign.org as our local philanthropy. We’re pledging to give a set amount of money every time that we wear shirts with our Greek letters, and we’re trying to make this a campus-wide issue to open eyes and help make our campus a united front against Human Trafficking.