Would you like a frappuccino with your baby?

Recent research has shown that pregnant women going full-term can drink coffee without the fear of health risks.
While studies have alleviated the perception that drinking coffee while pregnant can lead to miscarriages or birth defects, it was just this most recent study which found that women can get their caffeine fix without fear of premature birth or an underweight baby.

1. AlaraJRogers
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Good to hear, because when you’re exhausted from all the extra work your body is doing and you can’t sleep at night because your nose fills with snot and you can’t breathe anyway because the baby is lying on your ribcage, the *last* thing you want to hear is that you can’t have your caffeine in the morning. :-)
    Seriously, I got laid off in the second month of my first pregnancy (it had been in the works for a year, my entire department was going away, and I timed the pregnancy to coincide with it more or less), and was far too exhausted to look for new work. How does anyone manage to keep a job while they’re pregnant? Without coffee, I would think it would be impossible.

2. DDay
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Although I’m sure this information won’t stop people from scolding a pregnant woman for drinking coffee.

3. Posted January 31, 2007 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

fewer than five cups, from what i recall. i remember scoffing at that provision, like “who drinks five cups of coffee!”
    but some days…

4. Posted January 31, 2007 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

That is nice. About three months into my pregnancy I was starting my days (wearily from all that stuff AlaraJRogers mentioned) with … DECAF. Finally, I just said – “F*** this s****, I need some coffee!” And do you know what? We made it full term.
    There is so much stuff out there that the “experts” (and experts can be anyone from doctors to *men*, yes men, that you meet on the street) tell you not to do when you are pregnant. And a lot of it is based on assumptions or educated guesswork.
    Considering how far we have come in the fields of obstetrics, fertility and even genetics, I was surprised during my own pregnancy to find out how little doctors and scientists still understand about the development of a fetus. For example, in the early 70′s (before ultrasound or abortion) my mom carried a child to full term only for the girl to be born with a partially developed brain (this is called anencephalitis). The baby died 30 minutes after birth before my mom had any idea what was going on. When I became pregnant one of my first concerns was whether this was something that I should be worried about. My OB assured me that it is not a genetic affliction, but ultimately nobody really knows what causes it.
    I guess I got a bit off topic. Sorry. The coffee thing is good too.

5. Ismone
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I am thrilled. I was talking to a girlfriend yesterday about how giving up alcohol (even entirely, although that’s not necessary) would be easy, but giving up coffee would be well nigh impossible. Now I won’t have to–whenever.

6. tankerton
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU for this post!!!
    I’m six weeks pregnant and I can’t get anything done. I’m exhausted from both pregnancy hormones and insomnia as well as from giving up my beloved morning Americano.
    I’ll definetly bring the article into my prenatal appointment.
    Although, honestly, I’m so afraid of having a third miscarriage that I might not drink anthing but decaf (which does have a tiny bit of caffeine).
    It is so hard to know what is harmful when you’re pregnant, esp after a miscarriage. With my first son, my diet really wasn’t that great and the kid turned out fine. But after two miscarriages I find that I stress out about food way too much. And at the same time, really healthy food, like steamed broccolli, which I ususaly love, makes me gag while I’m pregnant (again – hormones).
    This sort of goes back to the discussion on prosectuting women who use drugs while pregnant. Its so fucking difficult (and even dangerous sometimes) to break an addiction. And at the same time, its so hard to know what is really unhealthy for the fetus.

7. plenilune
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

i completely understand being concerned about the health of the fetus, but our mothers managed to give birth to healthy kids without knowing half as much about what was “good” or “bad” during pregnancy.
    that said, i heartily agree that giving up booze would be a breeze compared to giving up coffee!

8. emjaybee
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I didn’t give up caffeine. My son was 9.14 lbs and 42 weeks. There’s a LOT OBs don’t know. Much less Joe Schmoe on the street. Basically, use common sense and you’ll be fine.

9. strawberyfields
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I didn’t give up caffeine for either of my two pregnancies,and I was informed about that choice — but every other time I ordered my Starbucks, I was asked “Decaf, right?”. One guy asked me so many times that I finally told him, if I want decaf, I’ll tell you. He smiled and said something like “This is your one for the day, right?” Ugh.

10. micheyd
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

by the way, frappuccinos SUCK. They’re just whipped cream with the mere suggestion of coffee. Espresso all the way!!
    /coffee fascist
    If/when I get pregnant, you’ll have to pry my cup from my cold, sleep-deprived hands. This is wonderful news!

11. dhsredhead
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

This actually came out before. While I was pregnant I researched this issue online, because people kept telling me I couldn’t have coffee or soda or green tea INCLUDING What To Expect When Your Expecting. It said on several websites then, that drinking three cups of coffee a day was perfectly fine. Anyways, I drank coffee while I was pregnant (I actually started my first coffee addiction during pregnancy) and my daughter was born at a healthy weight and her apgar score was a 9. Now all they have to do is prove that eating peanut butter during pregnancy doesn’t cause children to be allergic to it later in life.

12. dhsredhead
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Oh and speaking of doctors not knowing anything, my doctor checked my cervix the Friday before went into labor and told me there was no way I was going to give birth the week of my due date (the following Tuesday). I went into labor that Saturday night and delivered early on Monday morning, the day before my due date. Big shock it was too, considering my babies head had dropped into my pelvis WEEKS before then. Ugh. Yeah, they really don’t know everything.

13. Av0gadro
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

I’m having a baby tomorrow, and what my doctor told me was that having a cup of coffee was a lot safer than trying to drive to work before I had a cup of coffee. It’s way safer to be alert. I ended up using the driving comparison often when people asked if I should be doing something. “Well, statistically, it’s safer than driving, and no one expects me to give up getting to work.”

14. anorak
    Posted January 31, 2007 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Avogadro, I hope everything goes smoothly, wishing you all the best!

15. prairielily
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 2:07 am | Permalink

Actually, I think you can eat nuts during your pregnancy, but not while breast-feeding. However, DO NOT TAKE MY WORD ON IT without checking with your friendly neighbourhood medical professional.
    Good luck, Avogadro!

16. MoonSpoon
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

It has been known that moderate caffeine intake is safe in pregnancy. However, if you read the report, it shows that drinking decaf seems to cause MORE problems than caffeinated, maybe something to do with the chemical process to make it. So anyone who gets hassled to go for the decaf might want to share that bit of info.

17. katypdx75
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

This is great news. I had a forward thinking obstetrician when I was pregnant who said that I could have caffeine, but no more than the equivalent of 8 ounces of coffee per day. That was really hard, especially for how often I was exhausted at work. I’ve been concerned about how I’m going to make it through a second pregnancy with an active toddler and a husband who doesn’t help me get the sleep that I need, but I’m a little more confident knowing that I can have all the coffee I’m used to drinking.
    One thing that isn’t addressed in this is how coffee raises your chances of miscarrying during the first trimester. Is is still a good idea to cut back until the second trimester?
    And for anyone who hasn’t already figured it out, don’t read pregnancy books. Most of the info is outdated and will only scare you. Listen to your body and your doctor and ignore the rest.

18. tink
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I work full time, have a toddler, and had a miscarriage in December. After the miscarriage, I felt really guilty about my coffee, which I could NOT function without. But then, my son turned out just fine (drank coffee w/ that one too – though I didn’t WANT it first trimester). This is great news. Now, if I could just get the docs to stop talking about a fertility specialist because of my “advanced” age (I’m 41, my 2 year old son was unplanned, and though we lost this last pregancy, got preggers first try).
    Eh. More coffee, please!
    Oh, and brittabe, don’t you HATE that? One piece of GOOD advice that came from a pregnancy book came from Jenna McCarthy (sp?) -the playboy bunny. She wrote about men hassling her about drinking coke when she was pregnant, and wrote that she would respond, total dead-pan “but I don’t like the taste of the rum without it.” She said that ALWAYS shut them up (and no, she was not drinking rum).

19. Carlie
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 9:15 am | Permalink

And given that this kind of advice often turns out to be ill-founded or wrong, doesn’t that make the discussion about criminalizing the behaviors of pregnant women even more chilling?