Props of the day

safeissexy.jpg
Planned Parenthood Golden Gate has started a “Safe is Sexy� outreach campaign targeting teens and young adults in the Bay Area.
They’ve been kicking ass with this project, particularly with their “Safe is Sexy� ad, which is being featured on MTV. Click here to watch why power tools are a girl’s best friend. (I bet you were wondering what the pic above was about.)

1. hujo
    Posted April 28, 2006 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Oh my GOD!! No time to pick up condoms!! I gotta go have some sex right now after seeing that! ;P

2. Tom
    Posted April 29, 2006 at 9:46 am | Permalink

From what I hear, there’s really no need to target teens and young adults since their numbers are drastically dropping as traditional families (procreators) move away from the bay area in droves.

3. Fitz
    Posted April 29, 2006 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Problem is; (one of many problems with this Ad/Approach) is that saying “safe is sexy�, does not make safe, sexy. Hell, its like taking a shower in a raincoat. (your definitely in the shower & your definitely getting wet, but its not the same thing)
    As said, there are multiple other problems as well. But people persist.

4. Thomas
    Posted May 1, 2006 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve had a shower in a raincoat (to test waterproofness) and I’ve had lots of barrier-protected sex. I did not find the experiences at all similar.
    Also, Fitz is an anti-contraception, anti-choice troll making the rounds at feminist blogs.
    I am, of course, in favor of adult women making mature choices about consensual sex. As is anyone worth talking to. Go back to worshipping Dawn Eden now, Fitz.

5. Em
    Posted May 3, 2006 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

We may be on the same page here, but I wanted to point out that the ad IS a nice, eyecatching, lively way to say that sex can be fun and safe at the same time, and that women can be active partners rather than passive receptacles; but it is NOT an endorsement of real women in male-dominated fields. The woman is not portrayed on a real construction job; the scene is stylized (note slow-motion jackhammer, bright clean colors and absolute lack of dirt) and for gosh sakes she leaps out of her work clothes and into bed in a single bound.* It’s kitschy art — the image of the female construction worker is idealized, sexualized, and almost parodied in the service of the spirited, irreverent atmosphere that the producers were aiming at for their message about sex.
    Which is a fine message on its own, of course… and I don’t think the commercial *harms* the efforts of women trying to be accepted in male dominated fields such as construction. I just wanted to separate the two messages.
    *In the same way, images of hot chicks in lab coats and short skirts in movies and tv don’t do much to help women trying to be accepted as physicists — the images only create another unrealistic stereotype.

6. Merideth Carleton
    Posted May 23, 2006 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Have you seen this before? It’s a number guessing game: http://www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/mentalmaths/guessthenumber.html. I guessed 31407, and it got it right! Pretty neat.