Researchers to study why baby got back.

Please tell me this is a joke.

One of the greatest female sartorial dilemmas – ‘does my bum look big in this?’ – is to be answered by a team of researchers.
Experts are launching what is thought to be the world’s first scientific study into how clothing can affect the appearance of the female rear.
The team from Heriot Watt University’s School of Textiles and Design in Scotland believes the study could have major implications for retailers.
Female volunteers wearing hundreds of different types of clothing will have their rears photographed for the study.

I mean, I get that they’re design folks but don’t they have anything better to study? Ew.
Weird thing: While doing a Google search for the infamous Sir Mix-A-Lot song, I found this gem of a Christian spoof: Baby got Book. (Oh my goodness, Becky, look at her Bible…It is so big. She looks like one of those preacher guys girlfriends…)

1. Posted December 28, 2005 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

What they really need to be working on are wrinkle-free dress pants and shirts for women like those made for men. I don’t mean make the styles look like men’s clothes, I just mean make them low-maintenance like the men’s clothes.
    I really hate that my fiance has to slave away ironing my clothes. It makes me feel guilty.

2. Posted December 28, 2005 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

While we’re on the subject of Sir Mix-a-Lot, it’s probably worth taking a listen to the latest cover of Baby Got Back: http://www.jonathancoulton.com/.

3. Posted December 28, 2005 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

What they need to work on is pants that will actually accomodate those of us who are blessed with a little junk in the trunk.

4. RowanCrisp
    Posted December 28, 2005 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I don’t have huge hips, nor small, but I agree, Marie – I shouldn’t have to hunt in the plus size section solely for a skirt that’ll fit me.
    I’m a size above Marilyn Monroe. That isn’t “plus size” – in this society, that’s a damned medium now.
    (I’m still pissy from clothes shopping with the husband. Don’t mind me.)

5. moon_custafer
    Posted January 3, 2006 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

From my years of observation: Pants with pleats make the waist look smaller and the hips wider. Thus they are flattering to most men but not most women. If they can just take even that one lesson to the designers, the world will be a more stylin’ place.

6. Mery Djane
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 2:34 am | Permalink

New Tech
    A Technical Sub-Committee was formed, consisting of the Technical Director and one representative from each of the Australian national governing bodies of sports included in the Games, together with a representative each from the Royal Australian Navy, Australian Military Forces, and the Royal Australian Air Force.
    Once the venues had been selected the Technical Department became responsible to ensure that all necessary alterations to arenas, halls, ranges, and courses were completed, and that all facilities and equipment required by both competitors and officials were provided.
    Concurrently with the selection of competition venues the Technical Department had to arrange adequate training facilities. Unfortunately, with few exceptions the competition sites were not available for any time prior to the Games, and could not be used for training.
    Representatives of each sport assisted in deciding the number and location of training venues and these were based upon an estimate of the likely number of competitors. The preliminary decisions were made as flexible as possible and were varied as numbers changed towards the approach of the Games.
    It will be seen according to times given in this schedule that provision was not made for evening training. However, the hours were extended whenever required. The Arena Manager (or controlling authority) of every sport appointed an officer to be responsible for the orderly management of training at every venue.
    Two months before Opening Day a training allocation office was established with a staff of three, whose initial task was to prepare draft training schedules to enable the training requirements of all countries to be met in the most equitable manner, without discrimination or favour. It was realized that the period of training immediately before the Games was of the utmost importance to all competitors, and that any serious congestion or misunderstanding might cause dissatisfaction and be reflected in performances in competition.
    A week before the opening of the Olympic Village, the training office was transferred, and shared a building with the transport organization.
    Attaches, who preceded the arrival of their teams and whose task it was to ensure smooth conduct in the early stages, were informed of the method of allocation of training facilities, so that they could tell Chefs de Mission and Sectional Managers on their arrival. Tours of training venues were arranged through the Attaches Committee, enabling the Attaches to see exactly what was being provided and the situation of the venues in relation to the Village.
    On an arithmetical basis, it was calculated how much training time could be provided to each country, e.g., in the case of hockey, the organization had four grounds available for 8 hours a day and had to cater for twelve teams. Therefore, it could guarantee every team 2 hours a day. The situation was different in the case of sports like athletics, wrestling, boxing and fencing in which training time depended on the number of competitors.