Vulva madness

Something to check out if you’re feeling particularly vaginal today: The Online Vulva Museum. I shit you not.
Founder Kirsten says she is “continually saddened to see the widespread disrespect that is displayed towards women’s genitals in most cultures and is offering this website as an alternative…”
Sounds good to me. Though I have to say, the vulva purse (above) made me highly uncomfortable.
Thanks to Jake at Lying Media Bastards.

1. Posted January 27, 2005 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

With all due respect to my feminist cistern, that is fucking frightening looking.

2. Posted January 27, 2005 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Interesting, but rather disturbing as well. Personally, I don’t really enjoy looking at other people’s sexual organs anyway.
    On the other hand, that purse would make an awesome conversation piece.

3. Voxper
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Hahaha you sometimes make it *way* too easy for me to make wisecracks, folks. You nearly BEG people to make fun of you.

4. Posted January 28, 2005 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Linguistically, the words “purse” and “pussy” come from the same root. In a sense, a purse is just as much a symbolic vulva as sports cars, skyscrapers and missiles are symbolic penises. Of course, unlike symbolic vulvas, symbolic penises are Deadly Serious, huh, Vox?

5. Posted January 29, 2005 at 3:04 am | Permalink

Really? I like the purse. It’s very simple and elegantly designed. It’s nice to see a vulva represented as silky and colorful, and the pearl is quite a nice metaphor for a clit. (I’m not saying I would actually carry it as a purse, tho.)
    I didn’t like a number of the images in the museum all that much, I have to say, because I found them kind of mushy and sentimental — like a vulva is too dangerous to actually represent in a straightforward way. My favorite is the Sheela-Na-Gig Tile, sixth image down on this page:

6. Frenchwoman
    Posted September 1, 2009 at 12:46 am | Permalink

The bureaucracies that run cities have two core tasks which require completely different outlooks, attitudes and skill sets. Yet often they are done by the same organization with attendant stresses. The first task is the routine delivery of services, which are largely repetitive, such as street cleaning, road maintenance, and the management of schools and transport systems. This is essentially rule-driven and mechanical. The second task is managing urban change, which is developmental. This focuses on identifying future needs, such as the soft and hard infrastructure requirements for 50 years hence. This might be as bold as shifting the city centre, as Taipei has done by building Taipei 101, the Taipei financial centre in the new Xinyi District. At the time of writing, this 508m skyscraper is the world’s tallest building. Around it now cluster department stores and Eslite, one of the world’s largest bookstores, selling 3000 different magazines and newspapers.
    Promoted as ‘a cultural arena for the people of Taiwan’, Eslite’s eight storeys include a children’s discovery museum, seminar rooms, and a design and living floor. Managing urban change might involve investing in new education, shifting the industrial base to services, getting into a new economic sector, recabling a city or opening out new housing zones.